Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone use Switched On School House by Alpha Omega

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM
  • 1 Replies

Hi there!  I have 3 children.  We're good for this year on curriculum.  My son who is 4th grade uses Lifepac Language Arts, Teaching Textbooks for Math, and we combine all three of the kids for History with Mystery of History and Apologia Science.  We also do a Bible curriculum "Who Is God?" by Apologia as well.    My 2nd grader is also doing Lifepac Language Arts and Teaching Textbooks for math.  She is actually doing 3rd grade because TT starts at 3rd grade but is typically a year behind public school.  My 5 year old who is kinda just hanging out because he turned 5 in September is doing Reading Eggs and Mathseeds 2 days a week and he is doing a 1-100 workbook for math and Explode the Code for phonics/vocab/handwriting.

This is all working great but takes up a lot of my time especially the Lifepacs.  My oldest really likes the work on the TT on the computer.  He never uses the book.  It's all self grading and when he gets stuck I will help him out. As   As for my 2nd grader she gets easily frustrated with both the written work and the computer work.  I have to pretty much sit beside her and do school WITH her.  She can do very little work independently.  SHe is capable of more but she just won't.

Now here is my question.  I am pregnant and due September 10 which means that I will probably have baby end of August or first of September.  I'm trying to figure out if the SOS which is a CD Rom program would be the way to go for my oldest.  It's also self grading.  I'm looking to let them all do subjects seperately next year just because I know that I am going to be putting a lot of time into the baby.  Also if they go stay with their grandparents that the grandparents can help them and won't have to attempt to teach all three at the same time.  I also won't have to plan out the lesson as I have to with MOH and Apologia.  All subjects will be covered with no problem.  

If any of you have kids close to these ages and have did SOS I would love to know what you think of it.  I need reviews, good and bad.

Thanks in advance for the help! 

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:57 PM

We used SOS for one subject when my girl was in 9th grade. She got really frustrated with it because if you didn't use the exact perfect word or words and instead said the same thing in different words, your answer was counted as wrong.

Also trying it for just one subject didn't work so well because it overreached into other subjects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)