Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So frustrated!!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

First off, what the heck is the answer to number 12 ?!

I'm not a homeschooler (yet) but if dd keeps coming home with garbage homework I'm going to lose my mind. She is 9 and in the 3rd grade.

Her homework has algebra on it and yet they have not introduced division. They also have not taught the times tables at all. They use a little chart that gives all the answers. Guess what happens when you don't have the chart?? Yep, can't do the work. They haven't been drilling multiplication at all like they did with addition and subtraction. They haven't discussed order of operation but you need to know it to do the homework.

Why are they doing this???? I spend hours going over concepts she needs to complete her work that have not been introduced at all in class but she needs in order to do her work.

Huge vent. Sorry. This is the 3rd day in a row she has been working for 3-4 hours on homework. I end up siting with her during most of it because she asks so many questions. I can't get anything done and my 3 (soon to be 4) other kids get ignored. I'm very frustrated.
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The answer to number 12 is:  The digits 6 and 4 add together to make the sum 10, since all of the answers to the 9 tables have digits that add to a sum of 9, we know that 64 is not the product of a 9s table.

norahsmommy
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Why the heck did they word it like that?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The answer to number 12 is:  The digits 6 and 4 add together to make the sum 10, since all of the answers to the 9 tables have digits that add to a sum of 9, we know that 64 is not the product of a 9s table.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Well, they worded it that way to see if the kids are learning the concept of multiplication and the tips and tricks to make them faster or automatic.  But if they aren't drilling the facts, then I'm not sure that the kids would be able to answer the question.

Quoting norahsmommy: Why the heck did they word it like that?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

norahsmommy
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM
I wish I'd taken a pic of yesterday's homework. It was so strange that none of the kids in class could finish even half and none of their parents could help them with it. We had no idea what most of the story problems were asking. I had to go pick up dd's text book, which is never supposed to leave class, to look up terms and try to figure out what they wanted. The teacher ended up throwing out that assignment. She said it was horrible and she should have never sent it home.

I don't understand why she sent it home to begin with. Didn't she look at it first? I feel like she is just randomly sending home things and not going over needed concepts first.

We are drilling her multiplication tables at home. I honestly thought they were doing it in class and dd was just really behind but that turns out not to be the case.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, they worded it that way to see if the kids are learning the concept of multiplication and the tips and tricks to make them faster or automatic.  But if they aren't drilling the facts, then I'm not sure that the kids would be able to answer the question.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Since I don't teach the *tricks* to multiplication my kids would have never got that! Heck! I didn't. LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I have no idea what your school is like, but our local PS has a chair teacher make up all of their lesson plans, tests, homework assignments, etc and then the classroom teacher simply follows the plans.  It sound as though your school may be doing something similar.  If so, no that teacher hadn't really looked at the homeswork, just passed on the assignment.

90% of the time the method works, but if one assignment gets put in the wrong place, or one class gets behind the rest, it backfires.  Then the parents see behind the curtain a bit and start asking questions.  I would call and ask the teacher why the assignment was so difficult?  Why did she send home something they had yet to cover?  Are they drilling the facts?  How (what methods) are they drilling the facts?  How are they covering the concepts?  Are they giving these kids the tools and tricks like the one alluded to in number 12?  If they haven't drilled the facts and they haven't had the kids build the nines facts and discussed the trick, then why was it covered on the homework when obviously the kids would not be able to answer.

It really looks as though you have deep concerns to dig into with your school.

Quoting norahsmommy: I wish I'd taken a pic of yesterday's homework. It was so strange that none of the kids in class could finish even half and none of their parents could help them with it. We had no idea what most of the story problems were asking. I had to go pick up dd's text book, which is never supposed to leave class, to look up terms and try to figure out what they wanted. The teacher ended up throwing out that assignment. She said it was horrible and she should have never sent it home.

I don't understand why she sent it home to begin with. Didn't she look at it first? I feel like she is just randomly sending home things and not going over needed concepts first.

We are drilling her multiplication tables at home. I honestly thought they were doing it in class and dd was just really behind but that turns out not to be the case.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I didn't teach it until my oldest had built all of the nines tables and he noticed that there was a pattern.  Then I showed the trick to him.

He just built the 4's tables this morning and noticed a pattern in the MUS blocks.

Quoting mem82:

Since I don't teach the *tricks* to multiplication my kids would have never got that! Heck! I didn't. LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)