Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool Co-Ops

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM
  • 24 Replies
so I found a great group right down the road from me (yay!!) they have co-op classes every friday from September thru May. for all 3 of my kiddos (they offer 2&3 year old classes as well) it will be around $250 a semester. $75 registration fee and the rest is class fees. is that normal or does it seem a bit expensive? we've never looked into co-ops before so I'm genuinely curious. thanks ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oahoah
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

It seems pricey to me but I guess it depends on your area. We belong to a co-op where the moms are the teachers and so our fees are $21 and $24 if your child has art class each semester.  There is another co-op nearby that hires teachers and the teachers charge anywhere between $45-$150 /per semester for their class. I guess it all depends on what will fit your needs and your budget.  Our co-op just had to raise the rates but before we were only paying $6 per child per semester (the rates were raised due to the church we are in now charging for electricity).  Our co-op is focusing on history, science, art, music, p.e. through elementary ages and then more focus on literature in the middle and high school years. The moms/teachers all take their "job" seriously and the kids are learning solid stuff. We love our co-op but definitely couldn't see paying the rates that your co-op charges. Good luck!

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM
these are moms teaching classes. its about $80 for my 1st grader, over $100 for my 3rd grader and only about $15ish for my 3year old. they offer a lot of different classes though.

Quoting oahoah:

It seems pricey to me but I guess it depends on your area. We belong to a co-op where the moms are the teachers and so our fees are $21 and $24 if your child has art class each semester.  There is another co-op nearby that hires teachers and the teachers charge anywhere between $45-$150 /per semester for their class. I guess it all depends on what will fit your needs and your budget.  Our co-op just had to raise the rates but before we were only paying $6 per child per semester (the rates were raised due to the church we are in now charging for electricity).  Our co-op is focusing on history, science, art, music, p.e. through elementary ages and then more focus on literature in the middle and high school years. The moms/teachers all take their "job" seriously and the kids are learning solid stuff. We love our co-op but definitely couldn't see paying the rates that your co-op charges. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armygirl16
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

My daughter has her co-op every Monday.  It has 8 week sessons (I think) and it is $45 for Kindergarten ($30 is for class fees, the rest is administrative fees).  Other classes may be slightly more expensive based on what the kids are learning.  My daughter is the youngest 5 year old in her class though so they said she has to stay in the Kinder class.  She can't move up to the 6 year old classes yet.  So for now it is only $45

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM
I belong to two that cost more. Teachers are homeschoolers that hold degrees in certain areas. I run a co-op that is much cheaper. My co-op is $5 per month per child. The others are $15-$25 per month per class. The classes are every Monday.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Is the fee per family or per child? Cuz I'd never pay that for a toddler class.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM

For academic classes, that isn't a bad price at all.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Very cheap in my experience unless you are talking about $250 per class per child for the semester. Then that would be right about what accademic co-op classes go for around here.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM
We have 4 classes with mom's as teachers and we have a 30 dollar donation to the church, 5 dollar administration fee and the classes are between 5 and 15 dollars. Next semester my 8 year old is taking 2 classes, my 4 and 7 year olds are taking 4 classes and my 3 year old is taking 1 class. We paid 120.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:03 AM
My kids aren't in Co OP but it seems high imo.
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM
The co-op here is $25 per family for the year then if you choose to do classes it's I think $10/class
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)