Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Advice.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am on my second year of homeschooling. My problem is I have an eight-year-old daughter that is very tempermental and defiant at timed when she is supposef to be doing her school work. I get all the excused from being hungry to hand hurting from writing,to not understanding and refusing to read. I feel I need to get her on more of a set schedule,but do not know where to start.
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We built a snack right into our day.  It's called "food for thought" and it is something that isn't sticky or anything....carrot sticks, apple slices, little crackers, etc.  So hungry isn't an issue any more.

I trick mine into reading some days.  I'll start out reading a book that they get excited about and then I purposefully make a mistake.  Then they'll correct it.  I make a big show of "oh really, are you sure?" Then I go on for a bit and then I stop.  Take some deep breaths, talk about how winded I am.  But it's always ina n exciting part.  Sometimes they'll just jump right in and pick up where I "got too out of breath."  LOL  

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM
My dd seems to crave the one on one attention and I see more excuses when I try to do something else rather than sitting with her and doing the work with her. Could it be an attention thing?
TheresaMom2two
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Quoting ablackdolphin: My dd seems to crave the one on one attention and I see more excuses when I try to do something else rather than sitting with her and doing the work with her. Could it be an attention thing?

I would say it is definitely an attention thing. The problem with that is she always trys to have me give her the answers. I get alot of her not being able to sound out a three letter word but has no trouble with a longer word, or the answers to math questions so she doesn't have to try to figure it out.

She wants to be homeschooled, but she wants it to always be fun and games. She does not like the having to do the reading and writing assignments.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM
My 6 year old is like that. I told him I'd check his answers after every 2-3 he does. That works OK because he's getting lots of attention but working a little independently. I tell him if I answer all his problems I'll know what I know but not what he knows.

Quoting TheresaMom2two:
Quoting ablackdolphin: My dd seems to crave the one on one attention and I see more excuses when I try to do something else rather than sitting with her and doing the work with her. Could it be an attention thing?

I would say it is definitely an attention thing. The problem with that is she always trys to have me give her the answers. I get alot of her not being able to sound out a three letter word but has no trouble with a longer word, or the answers to math questions so she doesn't have to try to figure it out.

She wants to be homeschooled, but she wants it to always be fun and games. She does not like the having to do the reading and writing assignments.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM
My son was like that.It just took me staying firm.I still have to divide things up into small bits,but we are getting there.
oahoah
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM

My sympathies. My oldest son is 9 and does the exact same things. We are in our 3rd year and it is getting easier but I have had to change my expectations a lot, as well as find different ways of getting him to learn things. I'm fortunate he loves to read and would read all day, especially non-fiction, but if it comes to a textbook, forget it. Math & writing are where we are having problems now.  Be creative with her school work. Something we tried recently was letting him pick a project to do and supplying him with what was needed, we counted it as school work (he made an arctic tundra diorama, a mini zen garden, some wooden pre-cut projects (pioneer wagon, fort).  It is kind of an incentive when he gets his work done.  He also likes to read these Geronimo Stilton books and Lego books and those are reward books at the end of the week if he has done his work.

When he is being loud & disturbing the family, we send him to his room where he has to sit and not play or listen to his audio cd's, until he has calmed down and changed his attitude.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 3:34 AM
My kids need more excitement and interest from me. They need me to teach in smaller bursts. They need activities and projects as much as they need to hear audibly and see what they are learning. They need some things to be oral instead of writing it all out. They need taught from many different dimensions.

If not...then whatever it is will be boring, painful, and not remembered.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Oh and mine do better if they have a way of checking off their independent work. Like an assignment book and x ing each completed task. Or a magnetic list of subjects and flipping each magnet to the completed side.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)