Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Apparently a thin line between Homeschooling and Eschooling...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM
  • 28 Replies

What's your opinion on it? Do you feel eSchooling is homeschooling?

PS. I use K12 eSchool to school my kids at home and I started a group for K12 users.

Join us here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/16581

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:38 PM
7 moms liked this

I believe it is homeschooling without the freedom of homeschooling. Beyond that, I don't really have an opinion on it.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I agree with mem82.  

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM

That is a good description of it!

Quoting mem82:

I believe it is homeschooling without the freedom of homeschooling. Beyond that, I don't really have an opinion on it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure what you mean.

Legally, if you are using a virtual public school, you aren't a homeschooler. Legally. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings on the subject.

Legally, if you "e-school" with a PRIVATE, tuition based virtual school, you are still homeschooling. Legally. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings on the subject (again). In general, this is probably because you can do as many or as few classes as you want and tweak what you want? I'm not sure.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Good point.
I ask simply because I offended a homeschooler by calling myself a homeschooler. I wasn't intent on comparing. I just assumed if you schooled at home you were a homeschooler. I've learned that's not the case. I guess I am just curious how many people are offended by eSchoolers referring to themselves as homeschoolers.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Legally, if you are using a virtual public school, you aren't a homeschooler. Legally. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings on the subject.

Legally, if you "e-school" with a PRIVATE, tuition based virtual school, you are still homeschooling. Legally. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings on the subject (again). In general, this is probably because you can do as many or as few classes as you want and tweak what you want? I'm not sure.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I think being offended is silly, since the e-schooler isn't trying to offend or anything. i think some people homeschoolers, private schoolers, even public schoolers, can be a bit....er...snob-ish, and they create these very dark, defined parameters around what they do - so if you don't do it the same way then they freak that you'd dare use the same title. It's silly because no two homeschool families are the same. So while an e-schooler falls under the legal umbrella of a public school, no e-schooler I know schools like a public schooler. 

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not sure why they were offended but I wanted to check and see if I had missed the memo. Lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

I think being offended is silly, since the e-schooler isn't trying to offend or anything. i think some people homeschoolers, private schoolers, even public schoolers, can be a bit....er...snob-ish, and they create these very dark, defined parameters around what they do - so if you don't do it the same way then they freak that you'd dare use the same title. It's silly because no two homeschool families are the same. So while an e-schooler falls under the legal umbrella of a public school, no e-schooler I know schools like a public schooler. 

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be offended by you saying you homeschool. You school at home, that's homeschool. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol. I would never be offended by that, personally.

Quoting Honey_Comb: Good point.
I ask simply because I offended a homeschooler by calling myself a homeschooler. I wasn't intent on comparing. I just assumed if you schooled at home you were a homeschooler. I've learned that's not the case. I guess I am just curious how many people are offended by eSchoolers referring to themselves as homeschoolers.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jilectan
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM

I don't understand why someone would be offended by you calling eschooling homeschooling. I consider it public school at home, but it doesn't bother me when someone calls it homeschooling. I have some friends at a homeschool park group who use a charter school and they consider themselves homeschoolers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)