Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking up worksheets for the kids and...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:42 AM
  • 5 Replies

Noticed that my son's have already done the work they're doing in their grade levels. For third grade english, math and spelling they've already done what's on these worksheets. So i checked the 5th grade out of curiosity and once again, My boys could easily do those worksheets in just a matter of minutes. Same with math, in 3rd grade. So we are starting with decimals and multiplication tables. Even my (almost) 7 year old knows this stuff. Should I be concerned with how fast they are moving through their work? I am starting my oldest on research papers, book reports and essays next week. I tried to find 5th grade spelling worksheets and couldn't find any. Do any of you ladies know where to find some? Also, we went out for a burger last week and my mom and i noticed that other kids don't understand what my kids are saying or talking about. Conversation between my oldest and my another boy at the restaurant didn't go so well since my son was asking, "what is your age?" instead of, "how old are you?" My mom had to translate. 

I know my kids talk a little different than others. The ONLY contraction my oldest uses is "Can't" and the only 2 contrations my youngest uses on a part time basis is "Won't, Can't." He uses won't part time. Most of the time it's "would not." My oldest only uses "can't" everything is, "will not, could not, would not, am not, are not, is not, it will, i will, you will..etc.." he refuses to use contractions. I use them ALL the time. but he won't at all. just one. including "I'm." it's always "I am. or I am not." 

So sorry for the long and probably confusing post. I've had a very very bad week. So, on top of pain, being sleepy and this pain pill kicking in, I apologize. The question I have is, 

Should I be concerned on the level my kids are learning at at their ages, and should i be concered that because they're learning this quickly, is it going to be a problem with socialization and making friends? 

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Mine is ahead and I'm not worried. There's a whole world of stuff to learn. As long as they are enjoying it let them :)
ladyofnight
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:51 AM

only thing my youngest CAN'T do still is read, but I think it has to do with vision and possibly dyslexia. He's starting to get things to come together slowly just gets very upset when it comes to reading. 

Oldest hates to write, but will reall and does read everything put in front of him. I was amazed at his reading comprehension lol. he's consistant that's for sure. usually only misses one. :P 

Youngest also has difficulty writing but that goes with reading. he likes writing, just can't put the right letters down the right way. poor guy is so frustrated. 

What grades are yours in? and their ages? :) 

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Mine is ahead and I'm not worried. There's a whole world of stuff to learn. As long as they are enjoying it let them :)

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:01 AM
Mine is 6 and 1st grade. He's mostly at 3rd-4th grade level. His biggest weakness is writing but we used writing with ease for a while and that really helped. He's a big reader. He's doing the critical thinking press 5-6th grade reading and he needs some help because he doesn't know what some things it asks about are yet (like similes) but he can do most of it himself.
We know he has visual tracking and processing problems and are trying to get him therapy for that. We stay away from things that involve visual learning. He does great with auditory learning though. Worksheets are pure torture with him.
Something that helped my son with at least b and d is bees have bellies and dees have diapers. He still gets other letters backwards.
I'm so glad I found an eye doctor who can tell me what is going on with him. It's so wonderful to be able to understand.

Quoting ladyofnight:

only thing my youngest CAN'T do still is read, but I think it has to do with vision and possibly dyslexia. He's starting to get things to come together slowly just gets very upset when it comes to reading. 

Oldest hates to write, but will reall and does read everything put in front of him. I was amazed at his reading comprehension lol. he's consistant that's for sure. usually only misses one. :P 

Youngest also has difficulty writing but that goes with reading. he likes writing, just can't put the right letters down the right way. poor guy is so frustrated. 

What grades are yours in? and their ages? :) 

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Mine is ahead and I'm not worried. There's a whole world of stuff to learn. As long as they are enjoying it let them :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
My oldest was like that.things evened out around 5th grade.
HopeAlive
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I was raised homeschooled my whole life, along with my four siblings. Because we were able to have that one-on-one attention, and my mom found our learning styles, we excelled very quickly. Academically, we were ahead of many of our peers. That didn't keep us from making friends at all, though. My parents kept us involved in activities that gave us opportunities to easily form friendships with kids of all ages.

For us, some of the most positive results came along in the college years. All four of my siblings and I received awesome scholarships, saving my parents thousands of dollars. On top of that, we had great memories of spending all of that time together, and we're all still really close to each other and my parents!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)