Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introducing myself & have some questions...

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:28 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm Katie. Wife & mother of 3 girls (16, 9, & 3)
SAHM currently/ Avon rep!! (: 

Anyway, I have been looking into taking my kids out of public school & homeschooling them.
I have been thinking about it for a while now, & I am wondering how it all works out for you other moms?

My husband works full-time & will not be home to help me.

I'm not too fond of the public school... I know I can't protect my children forever, but I want to protect them from all the "bad" stuff as often as I can while they are under my roof.
At our local high school within the last few years there have been: more than 6 suicides, arson on the school staduim, drugs in school (pot, alcohol, cigarettes, & chew) which have led to k9 drug searches during school hours, & not to mention that provocotive image of other children. 
My kids know right from wrong, how they should & shouldn't dress, act, how they should choose their friends, but still!! JUST YUCK!! Not to mention there is NO 1:1 time for students... 

My questions are:
Did you set up a special area for your kids? If so, how & where in your house is it?
What did you do for "mommy-time"?
Do you feel like you kids learned more being homeschooled?
How did you meet your children's social needs?
& lastly, was it worth the change?  

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I did set up a special area in the old den, but it's not necessary. The dining room table will suffice.

I do get mommy time and cleaning time. I clean some dduring thier independent work and we school from 9 to 1, so I get me time. 

Yes they are learning more and much faster than ps. My 7th grader is doing biology with a college book.

Social needs are difficult. You join hs groups, co ops, girls/boy scouts. But in reality "social skills" start at home so your kid doesn't need to have weekends full of friends. 

Worth it! No bullies and no teenage angst. My daughter's attitude and self esteem have greatly improved. 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM

My daughter has never been in public school, so I can't compare.  She is 5 1/2.  We don't have a special area for homeschooling.  We use the dining room table, or sometimes my bed lol.  For time to myself I will read, workout, or play board games with my hubby.  My husband and I go out to a bar/cafe every Wednesday night and play board games with 60-100 other people.  

I think my daughter is learning a lot more than she would in school.  She gets 1:1 time and is progressing very fast.  She has almost completed her Kindergarten curriculum and is reading at a 2nd grade reading level.  

For social needs we attend church every Sunday, she goes to a co-op on Mondays and we go to a friends house fairly often.  She also takes violin lessons every Monday as well.  She makes friends pretty quicklywhen we go to the park or whatnot.  

Homeschooling is completely worth it!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

We don't have a special area. I tried for several years to create a "classroom' but it just kept spilling out into the rest of the house LOL. We school wherever we're comfortable, usually the couch, but sometimes the tent, the porch, my bed. Mommy time is seriously overrated. I'm not joking. THere is this idea that we need a break from our kids and that thought is ludicrous to me. My downtime is after everyone else is in bed, but that's just recharging time for me, I don't ever feel like I'm so sick of my kids that I need a break. Homeschooling changes the relationships and makes them feel so much more natural. Siblings get along better, kids actually enjoy time with parents. Its amazing and impossible to explain to someone who hasn't felt it.  Socialization is the most often asked question. There is so much available to homeschoolers, scouts, sports, church, volunteer opportunities, clubs, hobbies, and you can do as much as time will allow, since school is so flexible. My kids don't just learn more, they learn better. I have no clue if they are on track for their age or grade, I have no idea if they could keep up in school, I just know that I can have a conversation with my 11 yr old about politics and he keeps up, or discuss medieval history with my 13 yr old for hours and she blows me awya with her insights. Mostly, we just have so much fun that I can't see ever not having them home for shcool. I'm even looking forward to high school LOL.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM
First welcome.

1. Yes we have a little room when you enter the house that I made into a school area. My family and I are horrible at organization so it helps us keep everything together.

2. For mommy time my kids spend an hour and a half, after lunch, in their rooms for rest time. They can read, do more independent school work or play quietly but they have to stay there. It gives us all a break and I grade, clean and fix dinner in peace.

3. For social stuff we have a group in our town I found on meet up. There are play dates, field trips and a co-op. They also have stuff for teens but I do not have one of those. We also take our kids every where we go.

4. Yes for our family it was best that we homeschool. We only lasted about 6 months in a regular school. But I would not change this journey we are on.
oahoah
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM

1. We turned DS3s bedroom into our classroom, he moved in with DS2 and DS1 got his own room; we hardly ever use the room though, mostly sit at the kitchen table & do work there.

2. My DH is very supportive & helpful and he makes sure to give me time to myself, I joined some mom's support groups that meet in the evenings so DH has to get the boys to bed on those nights (2 per month); he often urges me to make a "sister night" with my sisters and during the days when he is off he will often take all 3 boys off with him to Cabela's or to do boy stuff so I'll have some quiet time at our house.

3. Definitely. And learning such a wide variety of subjects and so much more in-depth than what could be in school, not confined to just 1 day or 1 week and not stuck on one subject if we don't want to be.

4. We belong to a co-op, we go to library craft times, they go shopping with us and nobody is a stranger for long.

5. Absolutely without a doubt.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Welcome to the group.

My questions are: 
Did you set up a special area for your kids? If so, how & where in your house is it?

Yes in our home we have a dining/family room combo separate from the living room, so we just turned the dining/family room combo into what we used to term as a school room, now we call it our study.

When the children were younger they craved more structure, so I set up a school room environment, over the years now they prefer to school where they want to, so I have a room with our books, computers and desks, but they school where they want to.

When the kids were little I would take my time when they were in bed.  Now that I have teenagers I just get out and do my own thing a few times in a week.  I take martial arts with my husband a few evenings a week, and I have my own knitting group I meet-up with once a week that is child-free.

I can honestly say the education can vary depending on the child you're talking about, but for my children homeschooling seems to be a worthwhile endeavor.

My children have asked to be homeschooled and as their parent I feel that homeschooling offers what my children are seeking in order for them to succeed.

They have about as many public schooled friends as they do homeschooled.  We are part of three different homeschool groups we meet-up with when the kids are done with their schooling and chores and do things with.  We do field trips, or just meet up at places like the mall, skating rink, park, or library and have the kids hang out.

My children are also a part of several extra curricular activities from going to a Japanese school for half a day once a week, to twice a week at martial arts, and a full day in theater.  They've also done tennis, piano/violin, science and other classes with other homeschoolers through the week too.

My children aren't grown, so I cannot tell you for sure if it is, but if I had to gauge them now, I can say so far it seems to be.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM

We have always homeschooled so I can't comment on changes in our lives. But I read and go out to dinner with friends when I need mommy time. My eldest is going to be 13. If I've learned one thing in this time it's to relax. We stress so much about everything, but kid are naturally curious and want to learn. Once I got out of their way they blossomed. 

Ive tried to make 'school areas' but they end up being storage areas, we tend to school wherever and whenever we feel like it! 

My kids are more social than I am! We belong to a local homeschool co-op and they have made very close friendships there. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM

We homeschool on the couch, at the ktchen table, on the bedroom floor and on the beds.

My mommy time usually happens after the kids are in bed, on my and dh's date night and once a week when me and my mom go out.

Absolutely they've learned more. Well, at least my son has. My daughter hasn't been homeschooling that long.

My dd has a lot of friends in the neighborhood and my ds plays at the park, we go to the rec center, he plays with his friends in our neighborhood and he plays with the girl I babysit.

Yes, it was totally worth the change :-)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM

My questions are:

It isn't necessary for a special area, but we did, it's in a little nook off the kitchen where the computer area was set up. It's nothing big, just a office desk, a smaller desk, the computer desk, and two book shelves (and it is a TINY area...but it somehow all fits LOL)
My mommy time is actually in the middle of the day. I'm lucky because my hubby is medically retired now, so when I'm done with school with the kids, from noon til 2 I run. When he was still working, my time would be after the kids went to bed, I'd take an hour just to myself. Sometimes I would get lucky, and the kids would be calmer at night, and we could either all cuddle up, or they'd quietly play somewhere and I could read by myself and just relax... I also walk the dog with my neighbor from 5 to 6 every day, just on our street and I can trust the kids to not blow up the house during that time, since I'm constantly walking past it LOL
In some aspects yes. I know my daughter is learning a TON more in science than she would be in public school. I know that in some areas she is learning more than her PS peers too, but it's not much more in other subjects. She has more of a complete knowledge in math, and can do it confidently than many of her PS friends, and she knows spelling rules, but she never applies them so her spelling on paper still stinks, but she can spell it correctly 9 times out of 10 out loud... My 4 year old though, if he keeps up at the pace he's going, he's going to be WAY ahead...I know he'll eventually level off at some point.
The kids are on the swim team in the summer, they do 4H (Riley just kinda joins in, he's too young to be an "official member" right now. I think he can be a clover in a few more years....), and Jamie does Girl Scouts. They could do more, but we also go out on field trips a ton, and they interact with others well, and aren't afraid to ask questions usually.
For us, it was definitely worth the change. With the schools telling Jamie she was reading, writing, and adding wrong, and all the bullying directed at her, it wasn't worth it. I had a child who loved to learn, loved to go to school, and was doing really really well, to having a child being told she was stupid basically, and suddenly started having severe stomach pains, crying because she had to go to school, and constantly being bullied. Not to mention that the entire board of ed was backing the school who was caught in numerous lies to both my husband and I. We had enough, and are still trying to build back her confidence, especially where reading is concerned. Riley will never see the inside of a PS if I can help it. I don't want his overly creative mind held back in anyway, and the county we currently live in refuses to allow kids to be creative. (The county actually will go out of their way to drive out hobby and craft type stores. There is one comic book store in town, and the guy who owns it is constantly battling the county officials...its pathetically sad...)

Callieray
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 3:02 AM

yes, I set up a special area for my kid..in our other house I had a bedroom that we turned into a classroom..desk..dry erase board..books..in the house we are in now ..I use my dinning room table..I put up a dry erase board..cork board..small book shelf. mommy time..is dating *( if that happens) otherwise ..ill take a hot bath..watch TV in my room..or enjoy the time when he goes to his daddy's. yes He learns more .. He learns what he wants ..I can turn anything in a lesson *lol*. My kid likes video games. He has a friend he likes to go stay with from time to time. omg yes it was sooo worth the change, I told him yesterday that we were so lazy that i didn't know how we ever got up to make it public school on time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)