Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you do when your kid knows it all?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok obviously she doesn't know it all.

But for anyone who doesn't remember us- im the mom who homeschools on the side. DD goes to public school during the day. At the beginning of the year they tested her (shes in the 1st grade by the way) and she is reading at a 4th grade level. Her teacher hasnt given us a reading assignment yet (spelling words, books, anything) that DD has had to actually study or work at. The teacher will give them their spelling words typed out on a piece of paper as the kids are leaving for the day. DD comes home and I run through them real quick and she can spell everything without a blink of an eye. 

Weve talked to the principal because DD just isnt being challenged and its just frustrating. The school policy doesnt allow us to put her in any advanced classes until 2nd grade. And she suggested we just "homeschool" outside of normal school. So we "homeschool" on weekends, and about 3 days during the week. 

OK i said all of that to say that im out of ideas of what to work on. I don't want to mess up anything or confuse her. I don't want to teach her something that is over her head but i know that i cant follow the first grade guidelines because shes above that. But i know there are things that you need to lead up to and learn other things first...IDK. maybe im over thinking it. But i just dont know what to do. 

Ive tried just following her interests and weve studied the planets, space, the atmosphere (shes even done video reports on it all), whales, dinosours, volcanos, clouds/weather, etc. Now when I ask her what she would like to learn or what she be interested in she says "I dont know". 

So any suggestions on what we can do? I guess were just looking for a challenge. Something to keep her busy and thinking. 

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM

So my oldest doesn't need to study for any spelling test, reads far above his grade level, and the ps gave hiim an hour of enrichment a week as a way of supporting his abilities.  Phhhhhtttt.  That doesn't look right, but it's the sound I'm going for right now.  :)

I have never supported the spelling curriculum at the ps, and I don't do any spelling at home with my kids (though I need to with my youngers).  If she's got that, just leave it alone.  When she asks how to spell something, ask her how she could find it without your help (a book she knows, another word close to it that she already knows, sound it out, etc...). 

If it's reading/language arts that she's mostly ahead in, that's easy peasy.  Get her more advanced books that are still age appropriate.  Ask her to make predictions.  Ask her to change the ending.  Ask her to introduce a character to change things around, or delete a character that annoys her.  How would she make it into a movie?  How do we feel about the characters at this point?

With science and math, she's in 1st grade so she doesn't need to be solving intense problems, unless this is where she's leading you.  Look into origami math so that she actually feels and conceptualizes mathematical concepts.  You can do cooking math where she first learns about fractions (or pizza math, that's way more fun than cooking, at least in my chaotic house!).  There are all kinds of cool math stories and math concept books out there, ask your librarian for help.

Science--hands on all the way.  With weather, can you get out to go on a field trip somewhere?  We have NCAR out here (National Center for Atmospheric Research) which is COOL.  You can also take a hike up a mountain and talk about the change in weather from the bottom to the top.

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp is a resource I really like.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM

You can check to see if maybe the board of education web page has a list of standards they expect. I know for WV they have the Common Core Standards available, and even give examples of what they considered "mastered" and above, and what they're expecting them to learn in the different grade levels. I'm assuming since she's in public school still, that the school is following CCS. Here's the link for WV if you're interested otherwise (I know WV isn't the greatest): http://wveis.k12.wv.us/Teach21/public/cso/cso.cfm  I use it as a loose outline to comare what my kids know vs what the schools here are teaching. It even gives some lesson plan ideas on it...
If you can find that for you state/county though, at least you can kind of come up with ideas possibly, and possibly even allow her to work ahead and round out where she's "behind" in compared to her reading level if you know what I mean. So if she does get the chance to skip a grade, she'll be entirely comfortable with it in all subject areas...
There is also LessonPathways.com which is free to give you ideas on stuff to work on.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM

What dose she like to do for fun? Can you make that something? For example if she likes playing video games? Mine Craft is a very educational video game that you can get for the computer or as an app on tablets & smart phones. If she likes to play with dolls she could learn to sew or make things for the dolls like furniture. Taking up a craft like plastic canvas can help her with counting, patters, cutting & she can make all kinds of cool stuff. Everything can be a learning opportunity or a reinforcing information tool!  

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Follow her interests, find educational games, hands on projects,read books to her above her level, and journals are a great addition. I just started this year with math journals. They are very neat.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM
I second lessonpathways.com as a good lesson plan model.

My now 2nd grader reads at a 4th grade level and I am having her read little house on the prairie and write about each chapter. She is taking forever because it is assigned reading. Mean while she picked up an adaptation of the Hunchback of Notre Dome (it scared her and was to dark so she stopped but she could read it). I got her Artemus Fowl. She also is reading Black Beauty( another adaptation) and I am preparing for tears. I give her lots to choose from at and below her grade level for free reading and that helps enrich her mind.
KLove_Mom
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

How about biographies? 

Maybe pair them up... instead of just getting a book on the human body, get a book on Elizabeth Blackwell (1st woman dr in America), Marie Curie, or Florence Nightengale. 
Or get a book on Abraham Lincoln and also a book on the underground railroad.

Or a book on the culture of India... pair it with a night when you try out some Indian recipes and she can tell the family all about what she learned. Oral reporting is just as important as written reporting. 

There's lots of people she could read about that she doesn't know about yet. And maybe that will lead to something she's interested in studying.

-Kara
"Look for Rainbows"
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I  also suggest the website www.time4learning.com - it's not a sufficient complete curriculum, (as it needs handwriting, etc) but it's a fantastic supplement. She could go at her own pace, and it won't interfere with what she needs to learn in school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN