Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Next week I will start homeschooling 6 instead of 2, I'm nuts.

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am bringing 4 of my 5 foster kids home to join my 2 bio kids to homeschool. I have to have them enrolled in our states virtual academy which doesn't make me real happy but as things are moving to severance and adoption soon it won't be too long before I can change that if I don't like it. We have been trying to get them out of the school for months now and now that it is happening I don't feel anymore prepared than I was when we first started. I am excited and nervous and several other emotions all at the same time!! I hope my bio kids don't get upset because it has always been our time without the foster kids. My boys love them and want us to adopt them as much as my husband and I do but still they have always had me during the day alone. They are 13 and 10 and I enjoy them so much (well, most of the time!)

Any advice from any of you who use the virtual academy in your state or have large families? We have 7 kids so it;' not new or anything but I haven't attempted to homeschool more than 2 at a time.

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katyq
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM
3 moms liked this

The duggars homeschool their 287 kids, they just developed a system ...don't know what it is but it works for them :p 

tonyanamelia
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM

With this many kids, I'd say you might need to do a sit-down in desk type situation where you act more like a class room. Or you could start them off on a subject one child at a time and do rounds of teacher-student time. You can also do a schooling different students at different times of the day approach. 
There are alot of different options to schooling alot of different age kids. They used to do that in one-room school houses. I taught 30 kids at one time in a private school, so 6 kids aren't the worst case scenario! LOL  

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:39 AM
Set up a computer lab. Virtual school will take all day if you don't have enough computers. Also have the number of a good computer guy on the side.

Remember that the younger grades still need your attention a lot, even with virtual schooling. We did K12 in ohio first grade level and it was a lot of hands on for me. She was supposed to grow to more independence, but didn't stay in it that long.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol!!! 287 kids.. you are bad. And I laughed.

Quoting katyq:

The duggars homeschool their 287 kids, they just developed a system ...don't know what it is but it works for them :p 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Me too!

Quoting KrissyKC: Lol!!! 287 kids.. you are bad. And I laughed.

Quoting katyq:

butterflycircle
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM
3 moms liked this

lol we like the duggars and i thought this was pretty funny too

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Me too!

Quoting KrissyKC: Lol!!! 287 kids.. you are bad. And I laughed.

Quoting katyq:

butterflycircle
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM

i don't really have any advise. i am nervous about my 2 kids homeschooling so i cannot imagine 6. good luck. gove it time because it will take time and patience to find what works best for you guys.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I got a kick out of that,lol.

Quoting katyq:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I'm still ironing out the kinks homeschooling my two also.

Quoting butterflycircle:

i don't really have any advise. i am nervous about my 2 kids homeschooling so i cannot imagine 6. good luck. gove it time because it will take time and patience to find what works best for you guys.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM

How old are your foster kids and how many computers do you have?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)