Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching Textbooks for math????? What do you think?? I LOVE it.

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am not a math person so I came across this curriculum. I had my boys start it Monday. I bought the 5th grade set and both my boys are doing great. I have heard from 2 people I know who have used it that it is a year or two behind other math curriculums. If you have used it, do you find that true? I happen to love it and so do my boys. I don't hear the complaints that I did and they are passing fine. I told them they have to pass with an A or B and other than 1 lesson with 1 kid they did it.

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 18, 2014 at 6:41 AM
Yes, it is a bit behind.
However, for my DS that does it, it is right on his level. It has been a blessing for he and I. The computer grading means I am not the bad guy when he gets em wrong!
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:54 AM

I have heard it is behind as well.

I used the PreAlg one when I took my oldest dd out of p.s. in 5th grade (her school was already starting on pre alg). My daughter was weak in math and I thought this book would help her in previous math skills because it starts out at the most basical level and works forward. It does so VERY SLOWLY and this creates a mammoth of a book to complete (which can seem daunting to a child that hates math). 

My daughter felt compelled to do EVERY single assignment and would NOT skip any of it. She ended up hating math more and burnt herself out on the book. I ended up using other materials like "Keys To..." to help her in the areas where she was weak at. We used Singapore to finish out her math and delayed pre-alg till 8th grade. 

Her school had taught her odd ways to solve math problems (more ridiculous than useful in my opinion). TT was able to teach her to do basic math in a simple clear cut manner, which DID help her a lot. After TT she was a lot stronger in her basic math skills (because of the practice and clear simple explainations). Then the Keys To helped her further. The Singapore Math was shorter and helped her with her mental math. By high school she was loving math and doing really well (she attended public school for h.s.).

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
I have heard that or maybe the other ones are too far ahead. I think going slower is better. I am not trying to follow someone else's time table. I tell my kids if the lesson is too easy then they can skip it. My sons love math and they are very good at math. They think very mathematically. We do TT 3X per week and life of fred with math journals 2X per week. Math is more about logic and reasoning. I think most programs tht go quickly focus more on doing math than learning to think mathematically. Taking time for logic and reasoning is important.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I feel it is at least a year behind but we enjoy it. My kids love it is something they can do on their own. They finish quickly on a lesson and move on. As long as they pass with an A we do not do a lesson for the topic. I also go through and see if they continue to miss certain topics.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I loved it, too.  Ds, not so much.  He liked the workbook only and not the CD Rom.  The crappy thing is that you can't just buy the book.  So we use Saxon now.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 3:36 PM

It does tend to run behind other curricula on the market. Most of the time, others say this because they come into TT from another textbook (let's say CLE, for example) and find that their child who was doing CLE 4 is placing into TT 6 or 7; same story for Horizons, often Saxon, etc.

That isn't to say it's BEHIND BEHIND. "Behind" is a rather ambiguous term when applied to homeschool curricula, as homeschool curricula doesn't really subscribe to any one set of standards.

I dislike it for other reasons though, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AmyG1976
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

In the end it all balences out, also depends on what you are compairing it too. Really it is the best math program I have ever used for one of my kids only one were he actually learned and didn't hate it. a year behind is fine with me my son is learning my daughter is learning (she could use any program though) my youngest swithed to them this year he is happy and doing much better he asked for the math they had. As it seems about a year behind I was going to start him on math3 in the 2ed grade I still choose not to he started 3 at 3rd he is doing fine. My 7th grader who couldnt add after leaving public school at the end of 3rd grade is about to start TT7 just finished 6. My 5th grader is almost done with TT5 she did actually start with 5 in the 3rd grade did great at first but later found she had some holes and needed to go back to fill them in.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)