Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How did you homeschool kindergarte and 1st grade?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:35 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm new. I have a 6 year old boy Torren that we choose to take out of PS 10 days ago and homeschool. Not only was he very bored in school(thank you cut off date and no ability to "test in" to an appropriate grade), but they had began loosing him as well during school and then punishing him for it even though every time it happened the teacher had left him behind in class and obviously didn't check to make sure she had all her ducks. 

She didn't even think about putting him near the front of the line instead of the back until I suggested it. 

Anyways. I saw kinder/1st grade as Torren is doing mostly 1st grade work but he still has some places that he is working on a bit of kinder. In just the last ten days he gone from not reading much at all to easily reading level 1 books. I realize that he was probably able to read for a while and just the fact that after sitting in school for 6 hrs he didn't want to come home and do anything "school" related he wanted to play etc. 

I'm in WA state so we don't legally have to have a curriculum as he doesn't even legally have to attend school of anykind until he is 8 years old. So I am curious what others did. I have been making my own lesson plans based partially on his interests(lots of science) and worksheets and other activities I find online. 

by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:34 AM
After some trial and error, I'm finding that phonics and handwriting as well as basic math skills are the important work...however, the other stuff helps us practice and learn these skills.

I like having a phonics/reading curriculum and a math curriculum because it gives me my baseline. We practice writing as much as we can and develop fine motor skills.

I also feel that memorization sharpens the mind. We memorize answers for Bible Quiz competition.

Since my current kindy is rather inattentive and hyper, I have created a hands-on daily board for calendar, money, weather, graphing, counting, sight words, etc.

I am using math u see for math. Mainly because I found her level dvd for a few dollars at a resale shop. I like it though because it gives us a guide and then we play with base ten blocks to go with the lesson.

I have two older kids and a toddler. She and the toddler play and color with busy stuff while I read aloud things like social studies, literature, science and bible to the older kids. She sometimes does the projects with is and can answer some of their questions during oral review.
SarahNElijah
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM
We were very hands on for kindergarten.. Play, read, follow their interests, play learning board games/made up games, cook, do experiments, go to story time, etc.

First grade we added some unit studies into the mix which was still a lot of hands-on, crafts, etc.

I truly think it depends on your son as well though. Mine is an artist.. He loves anything "creative chaotic" and thrives on out-of-the-box, hands-on activities! :-)

Enjoy this time while he is little, it is the most fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM
With .y oldest 2 I did k12. Though I pulled my 2nd in the middle of the year. She is in 1st. We do literature which I had from when my husband was in school. For math I do not have a good curriculum so I am using a workbook so she does not loose skills and we are working on word problems to sharpen her skills. We are using writing strategies for young writers for her and her sister (2nd grade), as well as spelling workout b. All 4 of my children are learning science and history from the Magic Tree House and Magic School bus plus hands on projects and other videos. The girls work for about 4 hours because they take their time with independent work.

My son who is doing k, is working very slowly through Sing Spell read and write and using Saxon math ( I am not a fan but he likes it so far). For lit we are reading fairy tales and writing a sentence ( I write what he comes up with and he copy's). We work work about 2 hours but not straight. I give him lots of breaks.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Be aware that the mandatory age start dates generally only apply if you haven't had a child registered in a brick nad mortar school. Here, you can opt out of kindergarten, but if you've had your child in a brick and mortar school for kindergarten, you're legally mandated to continue (i.e. you can't opt out after they started).

I'm doing kindergarten with my son right now. We use an eclectic mix of materials.

As a guide, I use an older version (not common core aligned) or What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know.

For math, I use Miquon and The Verbal Math Lesson.

For phonics, I use Phonics Pathways, Reading Rescue 1-2-3, and a mix of Bob Books and other readers.

For handwriting, I use Handwriting Without Tears.

For critical thinking and some math skills, I use Critical Thinking Company materials (they have some freebie downloads!).

For music, I use Making Music, Playing Twice. We are blessed in that my FIL is a private music teacher and music shoppe owner and sent us the necessary instruments. It's a really fun program (Catholic content).

For religion, I use Bible Stories, saint stories, Catholic coloring books, and a basic catechism guide.

For memory work, I use Memoria Press' Junior K recitation guide (little man is only 4) and Living Memory; I infuse Catholic prayers into the memory work.

For literature, we use readalouds and Memoria Press' Junior K craft book (which incorporates crafts into readalouds)

Our schedule looks something like this:

Monday - Wednesday:

Prayer/rosary

Memory Work (5 minutes)

Phonics (20 minutes)

Mathematics (20 minutes)

Handwriting (10 minutes)

*break*

Religion

Readaloud

Thursday:

Mathematics games/miquon

Religion craft

Literature craft

Memory work

Music

We take off Friday, as my eldest (in brick and mortar school) only has half days on fridays, and it's also my grocery shopping day. We often use this day to go to the book store (our favorite haunt).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM

We love Heart of Dakota because it's customize to each kid. It's a Christian curriculum though, not sure of of your beliefs. 

tntmom1027
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM

We went through all the legal stuff. We notified not only the school but the superintendent of the district that we were withdrawling him from the school and that we would be doing homeschool. WA state only mandates a Declaration of Intent after 8 yrs old and he agreed with me. :) 

Thank you for sharing your Schedule and curriculums with me it's very helpful. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Be aware that the mandatory age start dates generally only apply if you haven't had a child registered in a brick nad mortar school. Here, you can opt out of kindergarten, but if you've had your child in a brick and mortar school for kindergarten, you're legally mandated to continue (i.e. you can't opt out after they started).

I'm doing kindergarten with my son right now. We use an eclectic mix of materials.

As a guide, I use an older version (not common core aligned) or What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know.

For math, I use Miquon and The Verbal Math Lesson.

For phonics, I use Phonics Pathways, Reading Rescue 1-2-3, and a mix of Bob Books and other readers.

For handwriting, I use Handwriting Without Tears.

For critical thinking and some math skills, I use Critical Thinking Company materials (they have some freebie downloads!).

For music, I use Making Music, Playing Twice. We are blessed in that my FIL is a private music teacher and music shoppe owner and sent us the necessary instruments. It's a really fun program (Catholic content).

For religion, I use Bible Stories, saint stories, Catholic coloring books, and a basic catechism guide.

For memory work, I use Memoria Press' Junior K recitation guide (little man is only 4) and Living Memory; I infuse Catholic prayers into the memory work.

For literature, we use readalouds and Memoria Press' Junior K craft book (which incorporates crafts into readalouds)

Our schedule looks something like this:

Monday - Wednesday:

Prayer/rosary

Memory Work (5 minutes)

Phonics (20 minutes)

Mathematics (20 minutes)

Handwriting (10 minutes)

*break*

Religion

Readaloud

Thursday:

Mathematics games/miquon

Religion craft

Literature craft

Memory work

Music

We take off Friday, as my eldest (in brick and mortar school) only has half days on fridays, and it's also my grocery shopping day. We often use this day to go to the book store (our favorite haunt).

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:29 PM
My DD is 4. We do RighStart math, All about spelling, handwriting without tears, spelling words of the day, Magic School Bus dvds , experiment kits, and books, Magic Tree House books, Apologia science and lots of reading.
theboyzandme
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM

We do a combo of things. Easy peasy (allinonehomeschool.com) is an all in one free online curriculm. I don' t follow it completely but I skip around it, it's created so you can adjust the levels as needed. We also have a reading program (the Mcomber readers) and I have a tons of resources from when I taught kinder at a private school. I basically just take what he knows and build onto it. 

I am a planner by nature so I have a list of goals and subjects (topics) and just kinda make sure we move along it, going at his pace.

flprincessmom
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:53 PM
I have done virtual public hs since dd was in kindergarten. She's in 2nd now....we love it.
oahoah
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

My oldest is 9 and we had a "light" year for first grade. My problem was/is that I have a lot of curriculum and can't narrow it down to what is best so we would skip around a lot and I am really unstructured so still working on that.

For DS9's first grade we joined a co-op that covered history, science, music, geography and bible. it was one day a week but there would be small "homework" assignments and we always continued to read together and he developed more independent reading skills. 

My 2nd DS is currently 6 but he is advanced so working on a lot of 2nd grade level stuff; we bought Heart of Dakota to start in August and I like it but going by the recommended age chart, it is about a level beneath DS6; saving it for our youngest who will start kindergarten next year, DS4. 

I would recommend getting some kind of schedule in place or writing down ideas from Torren on what he'd like to study and if he can't think of stuff, you come up with stuff that you've always wanted to learn about or learn more in-depth. Go to the library, read, and play together. 

We are working more towards a Charlotte Mason style but all my boys seem to lean towards history & sience as their fave subjects so I have to be creative with math; they love reading and the youngest is trying to learn how to read now. Writing is another area we are weaker on but it's getting better. They have daily copywork and a lot of times do their own free writing, making signs, writing in cards, etc;

Since your state is relaxed, I would just relax and enjoy the time with Torren and just play and read and have fun together. There are all sorts of learning projects you can do, if he likes sensory stuff you can find all sorts of fun recipes to make on Pinterest.  If you are worried about isolation try to find a homeschool group, not necessarily a co-op but a family group (I found ours through yahoo groups).  Good luck & welcome to homeschooling! Enjoy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)