Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The mixed feelings we can have about our kids...(kind of OT)

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday I went from being very proud of my DS11 for placing 4th in the spelling bee...to wondering wth he was thinking when he cut himself deeply with a pocket knife and chose to hide it instead of telling a parent!

What are they thinking sometimes?!

Am I the only one that has children that makes them feel a myriad of feelings about them throughout a day?

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

He was one at the time, and little man has more ability than most people I've met.  He's also more wiley than most people I've met.  A few months before this incident, he broke his leg when he fell from his brother's top bunk.  He could climb the ladder just fine (at 13 months), but getting down proved his downfall.  Little man taught himself to walk with a full leg cast, he kept climbing that ladder (and successfully getting down), and he would beat people out of his way with the cast.  Yeah, I'll be the lucky one to walk away alive.  :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: It's way easier to do things yourself. There are plenty of things I just do and don't teach because teaching it takes so much more time and energy, both of which I could use more of.

My parents just had two kids, and we were three years apart. I think they could have let us be a bit more independent and make some of our own mistakes. But I've learned plenty.

A cleaver for the bread!!! Ahh!!! I'd say if your kids live through it you'll be lucky! Lol, just kidding, they will learn from their own mistakes. And someone must have been watching out for him with a cleaver in his hand!
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Our dog cut his paw the other day, so I counted all his bandaging as part of the first aid I need to teach!  One mammal's accident is a homeschooler's lesson. :)

Glad it didn't bleed very much though.  Good idea on the knife storage too.  My youngest has had stitches twice, and she's always doing things herself.  I love her independent spirit, but holy cow some days!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Treatment can make all the difference in situations like that!

The knife now lives in my bedroom, so he has no choice but to let us know before using it ;). I questioned giving them the knives for Christmas, but decided they should learn to use them safely. DH showed him how he should have done what he was doing.

The cut wasn't too bad, it's fairly deep but it didn't bleed for too long. He also got some practice at properly cleaning and dressing a wound. Learning experiences are all around us!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Now I'm with you. I have a younger cousin who cut herself due to depression & she ended up having all sorts of issues but never had treatment.

Sorry he got hurt, and I hope it wasn't too bad. Hopefully he'll ask permission next time.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting TidewaterClan: Not at all but I would discuss the cutting with your pediatrician. My older dd Haley has OCD and her therapist & psychiatrist have asked if she's ever cut herself. Does he have any symptoms of OCD? Haley's comes with a heaping helping of depression, but Zoloft & cognitive behavior therapy have done wonders. It could be something else, of course, but getting treatment would help him immensely.

oh, I should have been more clear.  He cut himself trying to do something with the knife..he was trying to take a pen apart and was using the knife to pry the end off...it slipped and kind of stabbed his thumb.  He hid it because he thought he would be in trouble because he is supposed to let us know before he uses the knife.  He wasn't trying to cut himself, he just wasn't being safe.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh yes and we've only been hs two weeks! I love seeing her highs but damn the lows.....ugh. Like this morning she was crawling under the kitchen table to get something and while crawling out she got up before clearing the table and hit her head HARD! Did you make sure you cleared the table? I thought I had. Sigh. I guess you thought wrong. Lol
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Some people never get common sense. My brother, who is an Eagle scout (which usually shows some skills) and a doctorate degree in chemistry, has the least common semse amd people skills of anyone I know! I *smh* constantly with him.

Yes, I have *doh* (facepalm) moments with my kids regularly. It has been getting better ss I allow their failures (which is torture! -bite my tongue a lot) along with their triumphs.
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM

He was probably afraid of getting in trouble for using the knife in that way! Children make pore decisions based on fear more times then not!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM
That is exactly why he didn't tell a parent! He knew he was using it wrong AND he was supposed to tell a parent before using it. Both kids got pocket knives for Christmas and we just kept them in the living room....but now they are in my bedroom so they don't necessarily need permission to use it, but they do have to have permission to get it, so we will know when they are using them!

Quoting usmom3:

He was probably afraid of getting in trouble for using the knife in that way! Children make pore decisions based on fear more times then not!

tonyanamelia
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I prefer for lethal items not to be a life lesson until my kids are older. So it's only butterknives for them until well into their teen years. LOL But after my mother cutting her thumb apart just by washing dishes, and myself cutting my finger halfway off, I just don't love cutting instruments. LOL 
I do however, teach my kids things to take care of themselves. My 6 year old can make oatmeal & hot tea in the microwave. She loves being able to make herself breakfast or a snack. She's very bright though, so I might not let me now 3.5 year old learn the microwave when he is her age. LOL It will just depend on the competance of each child how much they learn and how early. Either way, by the time these kids leave my house, they WILL know how to properly clean a house, how to properly cook for 1-6 person family, how to pick out matching clothes that are NOT PJs, and other important stuff that most parents are trying to skip these days. 
As for the days when my feelings are mixed: every day. LOL My 18 month old daughter and my 3.5 year old son are just as likely to come up and kiss and hug me as go dump something out that they know they shouldn't. Sometimes within the same 5 minutes. Every day is a fun adventure of figuring out what they will try next!!!  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I think that's completely normal! I often feel that way w/ my eldest, then feel guilty, because he is on the autism spectrum so I just can't follow his thought patterns - but I feel that way constantly with my neuro-typical, so maybe it's kids in general? Lol

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM

My younger brother is about 10 years younger than I so when I moved out he was still pretty young. When he was around 14 he found a machete and was cutting saplings in back Yard when he cut the back of his hand. My grand parents lived right across the street, my aunt and uncle lived right next to them...but he instead called 911. He hadn't cut his hand off, only needed about 12 stitches, but rather than calling family (or just running there) he instead called 911.... This was right around 9/11. When he called the operator asked what was the emergency, he said he was cut on the hand with a machete....not that he accidentally cut himself...so the first people to arrive were the SWAT guys thinking a machete wielding maniac was attacking kids behind my fathers house! My family freaked when they saw all the commotion and called my dad, thinking his house was on fire or something....my brother still hasn't lived it down!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Oh my gosh! I'm sorry, but it made me chuckle a bit...after knowing he was fine of course.

My brothers in law are about ten years younger than my DH. We moved in with my mil and the two then teenage age BILs....we were on our way home from the beach one summer day when mil called and told us to hurry up because youngest BIL (maybe 12 at the time) had cut his finger and told the older BIL (about 14) to call 911. Which he did thinking the finger had been cut off. So an ambulance came and with no adult, they wouldn't leave. Luckily a good friend lives close by so he came over and assured the ambulance they could leave (a fire truck and police officer came as well since there is no excitement in our town lol). We rushed home and DH took BIL to the er for stitches. He certainly didn't need an ambulance ride though.

Kind if similar to your brother story, they just react and don't think to get someone they know, lol, they see blood and call 911. And my BIL still hasn't lived down cutting his finger while 'slicing' an apple (outside with a pocket knife?). The SWAT team, I still can't get over that! I bet he was scared when he saw them all running around!

Quoting KickButtMama:

My younger brother is about 10 years younger than I so when I moved out he was still pretty young. When he was around 14 he found a machete and was cutting saplings in back Yard when he cut the back of his hand. My grand parents lived right across the street, my aunt and uncle lived right next to them...but he instead called 911. He hadn't cut his hand off, only needed about 12 stitches, but rather than calling family (or just running there) he instead called 911.... This was right around 9/11. When he called the operator asked what was the emergency, he said he was cut on the hand with a machete....not that he accidentally cut himself...so the first people to arrive were the SWAT guys thinking a machete wielding maniac was attacking kids behind my fathers house! My family freaked when they saw all the commotion and called my dad, thinking his house was on fire or something....my brother still hasn't lived it down!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN