Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The mixed feelings we can have about our kids...(kind of OT)

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday I went from being very proud of my DS11 for placing 4th in the spelling bee...to wondering wth he was thinking when he cut himself deeply with a pocket knife and chose to hide it instead of telling a parent!

What are they thinking sometimes?!

Am I the only one that has children that makes them feel a myriad of feelings about them throughout a day?

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Once knowing my bro was fine we all found it really funny. He sure learned his lesson. When the SWAT came charging around all aggressive, he had no idea what to do. Paul is really meek and shy but he's always been large for his age - he is 6 foot 6. So, Paul came around  the house when he heard the cars arrive, holding his bloody hand, only to be surprised by the SWAT yelling for him to get down, since they didn't know if he was the injured or the threat or what. They were confused to be facing a teen who holds up his hand, "uh, I cut my hand"...lol....sadly this is a sample of my life. National Lampoon has nothing on my family....lol.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Oh my gosh! I'm sorry, but it made me chuckle a bit...after knowing he was fine of course.

My brothers in law are about ten years younger than my DH. We moved in with my mil and the two then teenage age BILs....we were on our way home from the beach one summer day when mil called and told us to hurry up because youngest BIL (maybe 12 at the time) had cut his finger and told the older BIL (about 14) to call 911. Which he did thinking the finger had been cut off. So an ambulance came and with no adult, they wouldn't leave. Luckily a good friend lives close by so he came over and assured the ambulance they could leave (a fire truck and police officer came as well since there is no excitement in our town lol). We rushed home and DH took BIL to the er for stitches. He certainly didn't need an ambulance ride though.

Kind if similar to your brother story, they just react and don't think to get someone they know, lol, they see blood and call 911. And my BIL still hasn't lived down cutting his finger while 'slicing' an apple (outside with a pocket knife?). The SWAT team, I still can't get over that! I bet he was scared when he saw them all running around!

Quoting KickButtMama:

My younger brother is about 10 years younger than I so when I moved out he was still pretty young. When he was around 14 he found a machete and was cutting saplings in back Yard when he cut the back of his hand. My grand parents lived right across the street, my aunt and uncle lived right next to them...but he instead called 911. He hadn't cut his hand off, only needed about 12 stitches, but rather than calling family (or just running there) he instead called 911.... This was right around 9/11. When he called the operator asked what was the emergency, he said he was cut on the hand with a machete....not that he accidentally cut himself...so the first people to arrive were the SWAT guys thinking a machete wielding maniac was attacking kids behind my fathers house! My family freaked when they saw all the commotion and called my dad, thinking his house was on fire or something....my brother still hasn't lived it down!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, all the time.  My kids are brilliant.  And dumber than dirt.  It's amazing to me how they can discuss some really advanced stuff, but completely fail to notify a parent of an overflowing toilet.  OR even choose to use a different one?

My mom cut herself so bad prying the pit out of an avocado.  Surgery, bad.  Proper knife handling is key!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

You're laughing because you know this pain....  ;)

Quoting mem82:

LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, all the time.  My kids are brilliant.  And dumber than dirt.  It's amazing to me how they can discuss some really advanced stuff, but completely fail to notify a parent of an overflowing toilet.  OR even choose to use a different one?

My mom cut herself so bad prying the pit out of an avocado.  Surgery, bad.  Proper knife handling is key!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Exactly! Some days,it's laugh or cry.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting mem82:

LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM

It's a toss up!

Quoting mem82: Exactly! Some days,it's laugh or cry.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting mem82:

LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Kaya529
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM
I was very proud of how well my son was sharing with my friends kid but very disappointed that 3 times he ran into the same pole head first. Sometimes I am amazed at how intelligent he is and sometimes I think he is brain dead. Ugh, I hope he doesn't turn into my father.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Lol, I'm always amazed at how my kids can have such book smarts and no street smarts - they can completely map the trajectory and forces on any baseball, but completely miss the fact that said trajectory leads right to their heads! *smh*

Quoting hwblyf:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I really want to make a smart alec comment, but I can't stop laughing.  :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, I'm always amazed at how my kids can have such book smarts and no street smarts - they can completely map the trajectory and forces on any baseball, but completely miss the fact that said trajectory leads right to their heads! *smh*

Quoting hwblyf:

Cemommster
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Oh no.  Not at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)