Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any Suggestions?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been asked to write an article for the Florida Parent Educators Association.  This is what I have so far...do you have any suggestions?

Whole Brain Teaching Improves The Health Of The Brain, And One’s Ability To Learn.

Many home educators now understand that each person prefers different learning (and teaching) styles. However learning styles are not written in stone. One can actually strengthen the less dominant learning (and teaching) styles. Why is this important?

According to the latest brain research: Learning is as natural as breathing, and it is possible to either weaken or strengthen a child’s natural desire and ability to learn in different life situations

Researchers, using brain-imaging technologies, have been able to find the key areas of the brain responsible for each learning style. For example:

1. Visual/ spatial) learners prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding. This style develops the occipital lobes at the back of the brain. Both the occipital and parietal lobes manage spatial orientation.

2. Aural learners (auditory - musical) prefer using sound and music. They have developed the temporal portion of the brain. The right temporal lobe is especially important for music.

3. Verbal learners prefer using words, both in speech and writing. This learning style is managed within the temporal and frontal lobes, especially two areas called the Broca’s and Wernicke’s areas (in the left hemisphere of the temporal and frontal lobes.)

4. Physical (Kinesthetic) learners prefer using their body (hands and the sense of touch). These children have a well developed cerebellum and motor cortex which is at the back of the frontal lobe.

5. Logical learners prefer logic reasoning and systems. Studies show that these children have well developed parietal lobes, especially on the left side of the brain.

6. Social learners prefer learning in groups, or with other people. These children have developed the temporal lobes.

7. Solitary learners prefer working alone, and using self study. The frontal and parietal lobes, and the limbic system are very active with this style.

Research shows that by involving more of the brain during the learning process, children remember more of what they learn. According to Dr. Amen, whole brain teaching even improves the health of the brain (use it, or lose it). 

(Source: http://www.learning-styles-online.com/overview/

http://www.amenclinics.com/

(To see a picture of the brain showing the different parts, and to learn more about their functions:

http://www.webmd.com/brain/picture-of-the-brain

The public school system uses mainly the “conventional method” of teaching: workbooks, lectures, flash cards, reading and multiple choice --- sit down a desk type work. Not only does this not improve the health of the different parts of the brain, but it is a disaster for many children. For example: Very bright “hands on learners” (38 % of the population) are often labeled as slow learners, problem children, ADHD, or called dumb by their class mates simply because the conventional method does not work for them. As a result, they often become convinced that “something is wrong with them“.

Applications For Whole Brain Health And Development

Studies show that with whole brain teaching (involving as many of the senses as possible), children learn faster, retain more, drop out rates decrease by 90%, and the health of the brain is improved.

1. Emotions simply exist; we don’t learn them in the same way we learn telephone numbers, and we cant easily change them. But we should not ignore them. Children can learn how and when to use rational processes to override their negative emotions, or to hold them in check by developing the frontal lobe area of the brain…learning that there are consequences to one’s actions. This part of the brain is almost totally ignored in today’s classroom setting.  

2. learning is enhanced by challenge and inhibited by threat.
Emotionally stressful environments (for the educator and the student) are counter productive because they can reduce children’s ability to learn.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/stress/art-20046037

3. Learning is influenced by the natural development of the body and brain. According to brain research for example, there can be a five-year difference in maturation between any two “average” children. Gauging achievement on the basis of chronological age is therefore inappropriate, and counter productive.

4. The brain understands and remembers best when facts and skills are embedded in natural spatial memory, We remember what we experience. This principle can be applied to every subject through games and real life experiences. This is particularly important for the “hands on learner“. Educators should not exclude lectures and sit down at a desk type work; but they should make them part of a larger experience.

5. Each brain is unique. Teaching should be multifaceted in order to attract different interests, and to develop the whole brain. Helping children find their passion is a major part of their future success.

6. The objective of brain based teaching is to move from memorizing information to experiencing information.

7. Empower educators to do what ever is in the best interest of each individual child. One size does not fit all.

Even though these things have been recently learned by way of cognitive science’s brain scans, the method has been around over 30 years, and known as “Total Physical Response“. It has been well known that, with this method, children learn faster, retain more, drop rate decreases by 90%, and the health of the brain is improved.

Source:http://www.ringaroundthephonics.com/articles.htm#A11

For a real life example: “My Journey From Public School Teacher To Homeschooling Mom“:

http://www.read-phonics.com/how-to-teach.html

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Roma, this looks great.  I really enjoyed the links.  In fact I got a bit distracted in the Amen Clinic link and forgot to come back and tell you how great your article looks!  

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
This article is awesome. Scientific pproof that unschooing CAN work for the right kids. Love it!
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved it! I'm the worst grammar editor on the planet so I leave that to more experienced moms who didn't begin life speaking a different language! But my only editorial comment is text sizing, for the billeted points (and maybe it was just on my iPad) they were very different. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I loved it! I'm the worst grammar editor on the planet so I leave that to more experienced moms who didn't begin life speaking a different language! But my only editorial comment is text sizing, for the billeted points (and maybe it was just on my iPad) they were very different. 

They are very different.  But I've found that that happens a lot on CM when I copy and paste from another program.  I was hoping that was the case for Roma too.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  Yes, copy pasting to CM changed the text sizes and font family. 

I did end up adding more explination to the frontal lobe part and emotions sections....  I thought them  too vague.  I also added a bit more to another section just to tie it all together better.  

I am glad you liked the links bluerooffarm.  i like the last link best of all. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Great job!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romacox:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  Yes, copy pasting to CM changed the text sizes and font family. 

I did end up adding more explination to the frontal lobe part and emotions sections....  I thought them  too vague.  I also added a bit more to another section just to tie it all together better.  

I am glad you liked the links bluerooffarm.  i like the last link best of all. 

blushing Thanks!

Truluv4ever
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
This is an awesome article!! I am going to read it again later when it's quiet here to really take it all in and I'll have to check out the links! Thank you for sharing this!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN