Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Multiplication and how you tackle it

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm starting Cole on multiplication. I'm showing him what multiplication is (2+2+2 or 2*3) and we've been doing drills, one number set per week (2 tables last week, 3 tables this week). I can't really get any games going until he knows a few of the answers or he'll melt down.

How did you guys take on multiplication? I don't know if we will continue on this way or not. Cole has unique personality so I'm sort of feeling my way as we go.

Did you stop all other Math while learning it or did you continue on with other things like 3 digit subtraction, time, money, whatever?

I find myself doubling up on lots of things to make up for lost time. Until Cole's eyesight was corrected we did everything out loud. We are still transitioning and catching up on things that we couldn't do.

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Replies (11-15):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest is the same. That's why we started using the calculator. He could learn the concepts without the stress of answers. I know some people say to learn to do it in your head first, then learn the calculator. But the stress of not knowing the answer would get in the way, so we did it in reverse, and he still learned to remember since it's faster to remember than to type :) but the calculator also gives his hands something to do since he's the type who needs to learn with his hands busy.

Quoting mem82:

He just turned nine and no, games won't work. The pressure of not knowing the answer would kill him, sadly. LOL He wants to know but hates not knowing. Poor Cole

Quoting jen2150: 
Quoting mem82:
Quoting jen2150: 
Quoting mem82:
Quoting jen2150: 

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM

What about TouchMath? Sounds like he may be a tactile learner and TouchMath may be the perfect program for him. ;-)

Quoting mem82:

Cole is still fairly a *toucher* but I don't know. Cole has to know it in his mind before anything else. If the picture/word/ cue I present to him doesn't make sense he doesn't want anything to do with it before we even begin. sometimes that means seeing it, sometimes that means hearing it, and a lot of the time it means touching it but not always.

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Veteran Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Special Education Advocate, Author, Academic Achievement Consultant

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

We did not stop all other math while we concentrated on multiplication.  We used multiplication in other areas in math.  For time: when the minute hand comes to a number we can multiply that number by 5 to get the number of minutes:  When the minute hand touches the 1, we say 5*1=5 so it is 5 minutes past the hour.  When the minute hand touches the 6 we can say that 5*6=30 so we know that it is 30 minutes past the hour.

We can use the 5 tables and 10 tables to say that if we have 5 nickels 5*5=25 so 5 nickels is 25 cents.

We can use the 7 tables for days and weeks.

We can use the 4 tables and 2 tables for quarts to gallons and pints to quarts respectvely. And 8 tables for pints to gallons.

Use the 6 tables for minutes to hours (this helps show them what to do with that 0 at the end of 60 and how it is a place-holder.

Use the 3 tables for teaspoons to tablespoons.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I treat "fact memorization and practice" separately from "math concepts."  With multiplication I actually  had my son memorize the "hard" ones first -- like 6x7, 8x7 and 3x8 -- facts that can't be figured out by patterns and that people normally have trouble with.  I use flashcards for maybe 5 minutes a day gradually adding to the list of memorized facts.  Then we started working on easy patterns (0s, 1s, 2s, 10s) and the more difficult patterns (5s, 9s, doubles) adding those to the flashcard pile.  That leaves a lot fewer facts left to memorize at the end -- which we're now working on -- to memorize to  "complete" the times tables.   We learned about the WHY of multiplication separately, and thus, for example, while he hasn't solidly memorized all his 4s yet, he understands that you can add  or subtract from what he does know to find the answer.  I should also add that as part of abacus training he states the entire times tables each day, which also helps when it comes to out of sequence memorization and recognition of patterns.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Mobile Photo

Today we're working regrouping/carrying over with our multiplication. I took a pic of our setup. Barbie just swung by in her pickup to hang out. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN