Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This is what it looks like...Part II

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, so I posted a couple of days ago about what it looks like to move books, after a decade of homeschooling..... I'm kind of ashamed but, books are by no means the totality of...crap...educational stuff....you accumulate as completely necessary for successful schooling. This is phase II....aka...all that other school stuff - about a thousand science kits, a million 3 ring binders, magnets, notebooks, movies, etc....

not to mention my 3rd addiction......Just as a reminder...addiction 1=books, addiction 2= Organizational tools (notice all the shelving units..lol) so addiction 3 is of course Crafting Supplies! (FYI, 80% of the crafting stuff is NOT in these pictures)

so, newbies.....the things you didn't consider when hemming-hawing the decision to HS....how it takes over your life! (Happily, really) 

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Replies (11-15):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM
I have a bunch from our first 1.5 years of homeschooling and I'm not looking forward to packing when we finally move. That is one good thing about our current method of schooling - very little extra needed and what is extra can be thrown back outside when you're done doing math with it. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM

With all the moving we've previously done (prior to homeschooling) I had to keep my crafting obsessions down to one bin for sewing (including all fabrics), one bin for scrapbooking, and one bin for everything else. These aren't the big gigantic bins either, they were more the medium sized so we could actually lift them...sort of...
I'm afraid to see what we have accumulated and what would need to be purged now that we've been in this house for 3 yrs and started homeschooling. I think my "everything else" craft bin has trippled in size and all the books and papers would probably be at leastl 5 book boxes on a low guess.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I started my Etsy shop for my crafts last year, and I make a ton on commission - doilies, jewelry, etc....so I have a boat load of crafting supplies - an entire yarn store - from super thin tatting threads through the heave weight wools, to fabric bins, 2 sewing machines, embroidery supplies, soutache, a million beads....lol...my kids are even jumping on the craft selling bandwagon and have a bin of their own supplies...lol..

Quoting No_Difference:

With all the moving we've previously done (prior to homeschooling) I had to keep my crafting obsessions down to one bin for sewing (including all fabrics), one bin for scrapbooking, and one bin for everything else. These aren't the big gigantic bins either, they were more the medium sized so we could actually lift them...sort of...
I'm afraid to see what we have accumulated and what would need to be purged now that we've been in this house for 3 yrs and started homeschooling. I think my "everything else" craft bin has trippled in size and all the books and papers would probably be at leastl 5 book boxes on a low guess.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I had to chuckle when I read you have 2 sewing machines. I feel better I'm not the only one  now lol. Although, when we moved to where we currently are, I somehow accumulated 2, and then my in-laws gave me theirs, then my mom gave me hers, then I inherited my grandmother's, and I got an embroidery machine, then a neighbor who moved gave me her machine! My hubby says I secretly run a sweat shop in the basement lol. Fabrics have accumulated ten fold with all the dresses and costumes I've made these last 3 years too. I almost started an online custom costume/dress shop, but life got too crazy to go forward with it, so I have a ton of extra odds and ends from that. I even got a dress form so I could easily pop out some dresses without having the person come in every so often to try it on. I have been better about the amount of yarn that I stock piled. I donated a ton to the 4H group this year since I can't really knit anymore thanks to the dumb cysts in my wrists, but the rest of the crafting stuff I know has grown for umm..."school projects"... lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

I started my Etsy shop for my crafts last year, and I make a ton on commission - doilies, jewelry, etc....so I have a boat load of crafting supplies - an entire yarn store - from super thin tatting threads through the heave weight wools, to fabric bins, 2 sewing machines, embroidery supplies, soutache, a million beads....lol...my kids are even jumping on the craft selling bandwagon and have a bin of their own supplies...lol..

Quoting No_Difference:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

A dress form is on my birthday wish list for this year!

Quoting No_Difference:

I had to chuckle when I read you have 2 sewing machines. I feel better I'm not the only one  now lol. Although, when we moved to where we currently are, I somehow accumulated 2, and then my in-laws gave me theirs, then my mom gave me hers, then I inherited my grandmother's, and I got an embroidery machine, then a neighbor who moved gave me her machine! My hubby says I secretly run a sweat shop in the basement lol. Fabrics have accumulated ten fold with all the dresses and costumes I've made these last 3 years too. I almost started an online custom costume/dress shop, but life got too crazy to go forward with it, so I have a ton of extra odds and ends from that. I even got a dress form so I could easily pop out some dresses without having the person come in every so often to try it on. I have been better about the amount of yarn that I stock piled. I donated a ton to the 4H group this year since I can't really knit anymore thanks to the dumb cysts in my wrists, but the rest of the crafting stuff I know has grown for umm..."school projects"... lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting No_Difference:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)