Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

do you have to submit a portfolio??

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM
  • 15 Replies

I do - in June.

I have only a vague idea of what it will include. I am plannning to keep it quite small - just a few samples.

If you submit a portfolio, can you share what you include and the approximate grade level?

thank!!!

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I submit a portfolio.  In mine I have: a book list with all of the textbooks, workbooks, informational books, and stories we use for the year.

Plus I include a book log which is hand written day by day with the books and pages numbers we use each particular day (that's required in PA, it also doubles as our attendance).  

Then I have seperate sections for all of the classes I teach them (language arts, phonics, math, history, science, health/safety, geography, and art) where I include something from each major topic from the beginning of the year, middle of the year, and end of the year to show their progress.  So for example in the language arts section I have a grammar test, a writing sample, a spelling test, and a project  each from the beginning middle and end of the year.  The front of each section has a few pictures of them doing some of the hands-on activities for that particular subject.  (And for math I just include all of the unit tests... there are 4 unit tests for the year).

Then I have a section with standardized test results, diagnostic test results, a copy of our affidavit, and a copy of our yearly objectives.

Hmmm... I think that's it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I have the choice between a portfolio or do testing.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The only reporting we have to do is a letter of intent and then test every so often.  No portfolios or attendance tracking or anything like that

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM

We are required to keep a portfolio, but nobody is allowed to require us to show them.

We aren't required to test either.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:00 AM

i ws honestly thinking of keepign it very slim on examples so I don't set a standard where they expect to see a ton of work. (I am savign everything, so if I came into question some how, I coudl drop of pages and pages of stuff).

I was thinking an end-of-year writing sample (maybe including a begining of year and middle of year since that seems like a good idea). A math test. A social studies project, and a science project, and I was thinking of doing and on-line DORA assessment for reading or finding a local tutor to give him a DRA and include those scores. That is about it.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Nope only have to declare an intent and test every 3 yrs but dont have to submit results to anyone
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:41 AM
No thank god I live in an easy state.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM

We kept a portfolio, and saved pictures an work done throughout the year.  At the end of the school year, we compiled them in a three ring notebook with dividers for each subject. 

The Home School Guide To Portfolios

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for posting this Blue!  I'm in Ohio like Mem, and need to make a portfolio for my friend who is a teacher.  This is very helpful.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I submit a portfolio.  In mine I have: a book list with all of the textbooks, workbooks, informational books, and stories we use for the year.

Plus I include a book log which is hand written day by day with the books and pages numbers we use each particular day (that's required in PA, it also doubles as our attendance).  

Then I have seperate sections for all of the classes I teach them (language arts, phonics, math, history, science, health/safety, geography, and art) where I include something from each major topic from the beginning of the year, middle of the year, and end of the year to show their progress.  So for example in the language arts section I have a grammar test, a writing sample, a spelling test, and a project  each from the beginning middle and end of the year.  The front of each section has a few pictures of them doing some of the hands-on activities for that particular subject.  (And for math I just include all of the unit tests... there are 4 unit tests for the year).

Then I have a section with standardized test results, diagnostic test results, a copy of our affidavit, and a copy of our yearly objectives.

Hmmm... I think that's it.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM
no. thankfully the only thing we have to do in OK is a letter of intent. thats it.

heres a bump for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN