Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Shoot me straight.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM
  • 14 Replies
How hard is it to homeschool with an infant?

Will be homeschooling my daughter this fall. Have a 3 yo. And a surprise pregnancy. Due in sept. Need advice and opinions please.
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Your 3 yr old really doesn't need much structure at all so having an infant shouldn't interfere no more than usually especially since most 3 yr olds don't even go to school and are taught at home.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Homeschooling a 3yo?  It's all play, the infant will fit in.  The 3 yo can help.  Both children will enjoy being read to.

schoolmarm1
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Sorry meant to add homeschooling my third grader. Have a three yo. And a surprise pregnancy!
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah.  When the infant is awake, have you 3rd grader do independent work.  While the infant naps, do the work together.  If you are not in a very strict state, you can do light work until you are used to having all three.

Quoting schoolmarm1: Sorry meant to add homeschooling my third grader. Have a three yo. And a surprise pregnancy!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Just like homeschooling any other time of the year, there will be good days and days you want to pull out your hair. Here are some things to remember, or that helped me:

1) I signed my son up for time4learning.com as a supplement, he enjoyed the computer time, and it gave him enough of the core subjects. That was perfect for days when I couldn't pull it together to do any one-on-one work. He did about 1-1.5 hours a day broken up into about 20minute chunks or time. I could nurse right next to him and only have to have half my brain functioning. Then we could do more one-on-one stuff when ever I could. 

2) I prepared for having light schooling for about 6 months. But, I live in a state with very relaxed homeschooling laws. So I didn't have to worry about that. I worked hard to convince myself that my son wouldn't fall behind, that he would learn a lot just by having the baby in the house. And it was true. He still learned, even the core stuff, he was also free to explore and learn on his own initiative since we had less structured learning time. 

3) plan for the worst, hope for the best. I'd say that's true of life in general. But I planned for having a baby with colic, one who wouldn't sleep at night - preventing me from sleeping at night..which wasn't very far off from what happened. So I knew I'd have less patience for struggling through subjects my son might not like. So I didn't stress or push those subjects. And really, we never went back to the strict structure I had before my youngest was orn.

4) I had to also prepare for the fact that my son would be extra clingy - just because my attention would be diverted. I got a doll and wore it in the baby carrier so he would get ready to share me. That doesn't really apply to your eldest, since you have a 3 y/o, but it might apply to the younger child. 

So, bottom lime, it will be different, but I wouldn't say it's more or less difficult than schooling with a 3 y/o (since they get in the way more! Lol) Congrats on the surprise!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a swing, play pen, and an infant carrier.  The baby laid in one of those or   ajksdfdsd   FWEJFJ[FEPF9UP]GE

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

The insight you just gave right here, it touched my heart. lol

Quoting debramommyof4:

We had a swing, play pen, and an infant carrier.  The baby laid in one of those or   ajksdfdsd   FWEJFJ[FEPF9UP]GE

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Honestly, once you get over the brain fuzz of a new baby, it's not that hard. Do you have your curriculum picked? A game plan? That's what you really need. Read all your material NOW so you aren't trying to toss it together with a newborn. Have you considered starting some of your core subjects like Math in July so you have some leeway as far as timeline to get things done?

How hardcore of a homeschooler are you/ will you be? What about your husband? Will you each panic if it doesn't look like you are doing 'enough'?

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Do you have to pay tor time for learning?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Just like homeschooling any other time of the year, there will be good days and days you want to pull out your hair. Here are some things to remember, or that helped me:

1) I signed my son up for time4learning.com as a supplement, he enjoyed the computer time, and it gave him enough of the core subjects. That was perfect for days when I couldn't pull it together to do any one-on-one work. He did about 1-1.5 hours a day broken up into about 20minute chunks or time. I could nurse right next to him and only have to have half my brain functioning. Then we could do more one-on-one stuff when ever I could. 

2) I prepared for having light schooling for about 6 months. But, I live in a state with very relaxed homeschooling laws. So I didn't have to worry about that. I worked hard to convince myself that my son wouldn't fall behind, that he would learn a lot just by having the baby in the house. And it was true. He still learned, even the core stuff, he was also free to explore and learn on his own initiative since we had less structured learning time. 

3) plan for the worst, hope for the best. I'd say that's true of life in general. But I planned for having a baby with colic, one who wouldn't sleep at night - preventing me from sleeping at night..which wasn't very far off from what happened. So I knew I'd have less patience for struggling through subjects my son might not like. So I didn't stress or push those subjects. And really, we never went back to the strict structure I had before my youngest was orn.

4) I had to also prepare for the fact that my son would be extra clingy - just because my attention would be diverted. I got a doll and wore it in the baby carrier so he would get ready to share me. That doesn't really apply to your eldest, since you have a 3 y/o, but it might apply to the younger child. 

So, bottom lime, it will be different, but I wouldn't say it's more or less difficult than schooling with a 3 y/o (since they get in the way more! Lol) Congrats on the surprise!

schoolmarm1
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I plan on getting a boxed curriculum. Not that we will do it all, but I'm already a nervous wreck so thought that would help me get my footing. Now a surprise pregnancy! I'm just a basket case lol. I didn't think of starting core subjects in summer so I will plan on doing that. And my husband and I will be fairly traditional I feel. So we will want to see progress and feel like we are doing enough.

Quoting mem82:

Honestly, once you get over the brain fuzz of a new baby, it's not that hard. Do you have your curriculum picked? A game plan? That's what you really need. Read all your material NOW so you aren't trying to toss it together with a newborn. Have you considered starting some of your core subjects like Math in July so you have some leeway as far as timeline to get things done?

How hardcore of a homeschooler are you/ will you be? What about your husband? Will you each panic if it doesn't look like you are doing 'enough'?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)