Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Destinay wants to go to a charter school.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi, I have no clue why but Destinay wants to go to a charter school in my area. My sister said that the school wss accepting applications for enrollment for next school year, Destinay automatically said she wanted to go. I told her to think about it over the weekend, she still wants to go. I asked her why and she just said it is cool. She doesn't know what she is getting herself into. We have a laid back type of homeschool style. She goes to bed around 10 and gets up around 9. There are times when she learns in her pajamas. I don't officially test her, due to her getting nervous. I go between sitting with her teaching her and cleaning my house, so she gets a lot of 1 on 1 attention. We take breaks from academics and do unit studies that she likes. I let her choose the books that she wants to read, in schools you have to read what they want you to read and that is it. There are times when she works on her assignments and the tv is on. I don't even give homework unless she doesn't finish her work due to a behavior issue. I mean regular school is nothing like that and I think charter schools are even more demanding. Next year she will be in 6th grade. So what I plan on doing is show her what it will be like. She will have to be up by 7, be dressed, eat breakfast, make her bed by 7:30 am. If she can be ready earlier than 7:30 then she can watch tv, then I am shutting the tv off until 2:30. Predominantly all day will be academics, she can have recess for 30 minutes, but there will be no tv or video games, just board games, or drawing. I don't want to tell her that she can't go to that school, I just want to show her what she will go through and the change it will be. What would you all do if this happened?
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:49 PM

How old is she next year?

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I would allow my child to experience the charter school.

I would have no ability to recreate that experience within my home. 

My oldest dd struggled in p.s. and wanted to homeschool - by 5th grade we did so. She tried out an online charter school briefly - and quit it. When she wanted to return to public school for high school -  she did so. She HATED some of the aspects of public school. However, it was was what she wanted, she worked her a** off, received her h.s. diploma, and went off to college. That is just my relatable experience anyways.

ETA - The exception to this, is that I have two younger kids that I am homeschooling for specific reasons. Also, I have them on a certain plan with history and such. I would be worried about how that would be continued. I would want to know what they wanted out of that (charter school) experience, and try to find a way to substitute it into their life. I would start with the assumption of getting out of the house, having social experiences, and the like... and would find them co-op classes or what not. If they STILL wanted to try out the charter schools; I would allow it. I want my kids to explore and find the learning environment that best suits them.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You're doing her a disservice if you paint school like that. It isn't like that - it isn't solo academics all day until 2:30 and it isn't torture for every child; it is manipulative of you to go about it this way.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

We're all different people, who parent differently and we do things different for our own different reasons.  In your shoes I would have no problem with my child attending the charter, public or any other school unless I had a valid good reason to do so otherwise.

I'm not you though, and it doesn't sound like you're on board with this.  You have a few options:

• Discourage and deny her the right to attend
  • Let her attend with the open door policy she can go back to what you have or with the knowledge she has to follow through with so much schooling there before returning to what she has now
  • Ask the charter if they will allow your child to sit in this semester on a few classes to see if it's a good fit before making any decisions

No matter what you decide, I wish you and her a lot of luck!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with PP on seeing if the school will allow her to go visit a few times, or sit in for one week NOW, to see wht it is like before she has to choose. I wold actually take her to several different schools and let her see what the classes are like.

I am all for what works best for each child. it may be hoemschool, or public school but it is a JOINT decision.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM

If you truly think this is a bad option for your child, I'd just say no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)