Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Martin Luther King JR and 1st grade

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM
  • 7 Replies
How do you explain Martin uther King Jr to a first grader?
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
julesjerry
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I explained to my daughter as below.

Martin Luther King Jr was born on January 15 1929. He was a Pastor and who fought for people Civil rights. He went to jail 64 times for people. He used "Mahatma Gandhi" technique ( non-violence) to fight for people.We are having school holiday in his remembrance.

How i explained her Non-violence :For example " If someone hit you, don't hit him back- rather say " Friends don't hit each other and hand are for hugging. Please don't hit me, it is painful", "

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Love that! Thank you! I was at such a loss on how to explain it to my DD so that she would understand. That's perfect. :)

Quoting julesjerry:

Martin Luther King Jr was born on January 15 1929. He was a Pastor and who fought for people Civil rights. He went to jail 64 times for people. He used "Mahatma Gandhi" technique ( non-violence) to fight for people.We are having school holiday in his remembrance.

How i explained her Non-violence :For example " If someone hit you, don't hit him back- rather say " Friends don't hit each other and hand are for hugging. Please don't hit me, it is painful", "

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM

We talked about how he was a leader, tried to get people to all be nice to each other and be friends. We watched the I Have A Dream speech on Youtube, which they thought was cool since we've visited that place. We talked about how, in Martin's time, they wouldn't be able to go to church or restaurants with people whose skin was not white (we live in a very white area but their closest neighborhood friend is Japanese, so we used him as an example). They understood that is not right and would make them sad. 

They also understand that he was killed for what he believed in. It's surprising how much they understand. My six year old asked me if Martin's wife was killed too, and I told her no, so then we talked a bit about Coretta.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:02 AM

That he was a man who wanted all people to be nice to each other and to love one another.  DD is 4.  I thought I'd wait until she's older to go into more detail.

julesjerry
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for your kind words.

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Love that! Thank you! I was at such a loss on how to explain it to my DD so that she would understand. That's perfect. :)

Quoting julesjerry:

MaryJarrett
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM
We watched a video about him on NatGeoKids, then talked about how his work directly and indirectly affects us. I told them that if MLKJr. hadn't accomplished what he did then we wouldn't be able to live in the same neighborhood as Mr. Otis or Destiny or Kori and that his work led to other groups seeking civil rights such as women, Hispanic, disabled, etc. We colored eggs and broke them into a bowl to show that we're all different on the outside, but the same on the inside. My girls are 3.5 (didn't pay attention to much) and 5.5 (understood well).
We went over his assassination briefly, but really stuck to the meaning of his work.
Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I love the egg idea! I'll have to do that one. Thanks!!!

Quoting MaryJarrett: We watched a video about him on NatGeoKids, then talked about how his work directly and indirectly affects us. I told them that if MLKJr. hadn't accomplished what he did then we wouldn't be able to live in the same neighborhood as Mr. Otis or Destiny or Kori and that his work led to other groups seeking civil rights such as women, Hispanic, disabled, etc. We colored eggs and broke them into a bowl to show that we're all different on the outside, but the same on the inside. My girls are 3.5 (didn't pay attention to much) and 5.5 (understood well).

We went over his assassination briefly, but really stuck to the meaning of his work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)