Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Maybe I'm being petty but this really annoyed me...

Posted by   + Show Post
So I went anon and wrote this post in another group and got mostly negative feedback. I'm gonna try to explain it better here.

My husband and I have a set of friends. We've been friends since our oldest kids were 4 and 5 months. Yesterday we had them over to hang out. Now they come over every weekend so we do not consider them guests in our home anymore. Ok a little background. This family has 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl. Their kids are spoiled rotten and whine about almost everything. They also expect to get what they want when they want. Once they pitch a fit one of their parents tries to do whatevr the kid wants.

So we were at my house and my kid and her kid were playing skylanders. My son likes to run through the game and pick up very few things. Her son wanted to pick up everything and fool around. Once you get so far away from each other, the character who is furthest away ends up dying. Now our kids have played this game tons of times before and this is the first time her son has pitched a fit over they playing style of my son. They also play other games such as Halo (yes I know it's violent and we supervise) and her son whines because Aiden hardly ever dies and he dies often.
Anyway the kids mother yells at my son to "play the game right." I got irritated and told her that he was playing "right" because there isn't a right or wrong and if her son didn't like how mine plays then he doesn't have to play; however, this is the first time her son has complained about it. She continued to tell my kid and her kid how to play the game. Eventually I turned the game off because of the fighting and arguing and her getting snippy with my kid. Her kid got an attitude with me about it. I ignored him and his dad did something about it.

Am I wrong to think that it was fine how my son was playing the game. He slowed down for her son and her son wanted to just mess around. My son wanted to actually beat the levels. Also my son wasn't doing it to be mean and spiteful; that's just how he plays and it's never been an issue before.
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Replies (21-28):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Meh, I definitely think there were better ways that could have been handled. Maybe the mom doesn't understand the semi open world concept?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM
I will add that I have a very very good friend with whom I can't go on *kid outings * with because her kids turn into monsters. We went to the zoo once several years ago and we saw and did almost nothing because she spent the whole time *soothing * a child that was upset (read screaming fit) about things like not getting to walk in front. This friend is also more of a stay until the kids can't even walk kind of parenting and I'm more of a 'until lunch is fine' kind of parent.
I'm sad that we don't do more together but honestly I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT! Lol
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I would have cut the game off if the boys could play together and comprise on their own.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Yea I admit I should have handled it better. Once she yelled at my kid it was all over tho. I just don't like her being that way with him. This isn't the first time she's acted like that either.

Quoting mem82: Meh, I definitely think there were better ways that could have been handled. Maybe the mom doesn't understand the semi open world concept?
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM
It sounds like a break would be nice.

She should not have yelled at your son. If you do have them over again I would avoid video games.
Countess79
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM
before they come over again you need to set some boundaries so that the children and the parents all know what the children are going to be doing... And I suggest...no games
unsuspected
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM
We had a double date friend couple like this. Out rant a good fit. I got tired of the drama and just let it go. The husbands are still friends, which was the only real reason we were all trying so hard!

Quoting chotovec82: Yea I think that I won't have them over for a while. Maybe we all just need a break from each other. I find their attitudes annoying after a while. The adults cannot play a game without her (the other kids mother) getting mad because she is losing, etc..

For instance, we were playing Dicapades and she didn't know a lot of the answers. She got mad and yelled, "how am Isupposed to know that? I wasn't even born yet!" So it's a constant thing when they come around and it's drama. I probably wouldn't be friends with them still if it weren't for my husband and her husband being best friends.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM
I think on one hand you have a point about the mom getting overly involved wasn't good. However, your son is like mine and I tell him that when he plays with others he can't just run off and kill other peoples characters. It is teaching him to have consideration for others and to teach my son how to treat a younger sibling Or a guest.

But... I'd be more likely to turn it off too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN