Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have backyard chickens?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm thinking about getting some as a lesson for my kids and for the eggs.  :)  We would have 5 hens.   Our city allows it but I am afraid they will be so loud that my neighbors will get annoyed.  Do you have backyard chickens?  What advice do you have?  Are they loud to the point you can hear them inside your house with the window closed?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

We have chickens.  The roosters are loud, but we only have hens right now and they are not so loud.  They sound more like muttering old ladies.  LOL  They kind of chatter all the time, but the only time we ever hear them inside the house is when there is something seriously wrong (fox around, one got stepped on by a goat, hawk overhead, etc)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have close neighbors, please don't. Lol. I say this as someone who would be greatly annoyed by the sound of farm animals in the subdivision.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to get some but we just have not done it yet!

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I have chickens but we are in the country, our nearest neighbor is over a mile away.
snowangel1979
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
We have some but we live out in the country. I also grew up having between 100-200 chickens in any given year.

The only time I really hear them is when they're laying an egg they like go "bluck cluck" LOL. I wouldn't say It's all that loud though. Other then that I agree with the it sounds like old ladies . LOL.

The roster is kinda annoying but I don't even really hear it anymore. Him and the roster 3 doors down go back and forth.

Be prepared though because even if you buy pullets, mistakes happen and if you live in town you'll have to "make the roster disappear" One year we ended up with 3 rosters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We had them a couple of years ago, but we lost them to stray dogs. At one time we had over 30 layers and couple of roosters and we never really had a noise issue.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
There will be some noise. No guineas. LOL. Maybe give your neighbors some fresh eggs every once in awhile for the extra noise. I usually mostly hear my goose and guineas when the windows are closed. I live in country and raise them. I recommend a chicken tractor. I have a lot of then though. Good luck.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I dream of having them, but in our city limits we aren't allowed. And I'm *just* within city limits. :(
One day...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aJiG827
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My in-laws do. They live in the country, but I can never hear their chickens when we stay there. They don't have any roosters, though.

Mweddle
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Well I think I'm going to give it a try.  I've been doing tons of research and we will build a coop first.  Our yard is the biggest in the neighborhood and we aren't as close to neighbors as everyone else (end of a cul de sac) so I found a good spot for them where I don't think they will be heard.  If they are we will have to give them to my cousin.  Hope it goes well!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN