Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

looking at homeschooling my son and....

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

dh will not be happy. 

my grandma told me that ds's teacher told her that he goes to the bathroom alot and if he keeps it up he will stay in the first grade.....WHAT?!?!!? his grades are fine, all A's and B's, hes very smart but has a small bladder. he has always been like this and no teacher has ever said this. 

i'm trying to understand this line of reasoning....if a kid passes all their classes but has to use the bathroom excessively they get held back? how would the shcool even justify that? the teacher says hes missing alot of class but to me this sounds like baloney and maybe the teacher just doesnt like that he has to go alot. 

right now homeschooling is just a thought, but i refuse to leave him in a school that , to me, is picking on him....just a vent!

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This is about control on the part of the teacher not his academics!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say getting your hubby on board will be your first step.  From there it will be easy enough to figure out, if this is the path you choose.

I would request a parent teacher conference to talk to this teacher.  It is not ok that she says that.  If that does not work, I would then move to the principle.  That would help your dh know you are doing all you can.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think you should do anything without your husband's consent; what's more, he may be required to consent, by law (here he would be).

I am sorry that your little one is having problems in school though. Hopefully you and your husband can come to an agreement here.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

abuckalew
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM
My current plan is to talk to the teacher and then to dh. I homeschool my 9yo dd because the school district here refused to test her for dyslexia. And dh is fine with that because she need the extra help. Butbhe says no to ds because he's fine.

But if this whole bathroon issue keeps up ill just hs.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I would say getting your hubby on board will be your first step.  From there it will be easy enough to figure out, if this is the path you choose.

I would request a parent teacher conference to talk to this teacher.  It is not ok that she says that.  If that does not work, I would then move to the principle.  That would help your dh know you are doing all you can.

abuckalew
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Thankfully I dont need his consent. I keep looking things up because TX seems pretty slack on a lot of things

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hmm. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think you should do anything without your husband's consent; what's more, he may be required to consent, by law (here he would be).

I am sorry that your little one is having problems in school though. Hopefully you and your husband can come to an agreement here.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Homeschooling very rarely works if one parent is against it. If he decides this is a deal breaker? Courts almost always side with public school in these cases. Is it really worth your marriage - or will he be upset, but not THAT upset? If not THAT upset, is this really worth creating an unhappy home for your son over? Can't a compromise be reached elsewhere?

Quoting abuckalew: Thankfully I dont need his consent. I keep looking things up because TX seems pretty slack on a lot of things

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM

my experience is that teachers can be very, very cruel. If there is a moderate issue like you are describing, they can often lack any understanding, sensitivity or sympathy.

THe son I am homeschooling suffered a lot with teachers who treated him poorly. He happened to have a bit of a bathroom issue too, and it was resolved easily with a referral to a urologist. But that is beside the point, he was frankly bullied by teachers for his entire 3rd grade year.

My dh was very skeptical of homeschooling and I think he fully expected me to fail and be tearing my hair out and begging to send ds back to school. But I knew in my heart that this kid needs nurturing, patience, guidance, flexibility, etc. Now, dh is totally blow away by the progress ds has made.

abuckalew
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM
I'm going to talk to him tonight and see what happens

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Homeschooling very rarely works if one parent is against it. If he decides this is a deal breaker? Courts almost always side with public school in these cases. Is it really worth your marriage - or will he be upset, but not THAT upset? If not THAT upset, is this really worth creating an unhappy home for your son over? Can't a compromise be reached elsewhere?

Quoting abuckalew: Thankfully I dont need his consent. I keep looking things up because TX seems pretty slack on a lot of things

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)