Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

13 and 15 yr old

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ok, so my brother and sister may come and stay with me, atleast during the day. If it works out, o will be cominf here for a LOT of advice!

Here is the background story:

My dad and stepmom and brother and sister use to live across the street from me. 4 years ago they moved across country. They homeschool. Well, december my stepmom got into a major life threatening accident. She is still on the hospital and recovery will take a very long time. Since then my dad is responsible for everything and cannot homeschool the kids because of overwelming responsibilties and had not yet gone back to wor either. I offered to homeschool them if they can fly them out here. Ad far as I know the kids are not disciplined at all, they were unschooling (I am not saying unschoolers are not disciplined, just that my brother and sister are not....according to my dad). Anyways, if this all comes together I may have the option of putting them in a co-op 4 days a week. I plan on field trips as well. I need any and all suggestions. My Aunt is talking to my dad about it today.

Also, my 15 yr old brother is diagnosed with Autism (aspergers). My little sister is in gymnastics, on a team, so I dont know how that will work out, but hopefully it will. I am aldo homeschooling my 7 and 5 year old, I also have a 3 yr old and baby.
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Wow, you're going to have yoru hands full. I don't have any advice right off hand, but I would think that letting them have a few or weeks to adjust (like deschooling) before jumping right in. Introduce things a little at a time, and don't forget, your little ones will likely need to adjust as well. Good luck!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM
I agree with giving them a few weeks to learn the rules and get settled before you start school. Would you continue to unschool them or are you thinking about curriculum. If you think you want curriculum then I would slowly add one subject at a time since it would probably shock and overwhelm them if you added it all at once.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Very good point! Maybe if we do a few small field trips before starting school. My kids are already signed up with classes etc. Through a charter, so they are already commited in that regard.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Wow, you're going to have yoru hands full. I don't have any advice right off hand, but I would think that letting them have a few or weeks to adjust (like deschooling) before jumping right in. Introduce things a little at a time, and don't forget, your little ones will likely need to adjust as well. Good luck!

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Precious, I know you've got a beautiful big heart, but are you up for this? I'm NOT criticizing, just worried about you because I know you're already under stress leading your co-op, teaching your children, and a baby to boot.

Is there a specific reason they don't want to go the public school route? The ps my girls were in last year had wonderful additional teachers for the children with Aspergers. Everyone was in the same classroom and the teachers offered help when needed.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont know if I am up for it, but I trustvthat between me and others it will work out. If they stay there my stepmom wont agree to public.school (really doubt it) and my dad will.go along with what she says. Neither are up for schooling them and so they will be getting nothing (my brother has hardly been doing anything but minecraft). I trust it will.work.out.

Quoting TidewaterClan: Precious, I know you've got a beautiful big heart, but are you up for this? I'm NOT criticizing, just worried about you because I know you're already under stress leading your co-op, teaching your children, and a baby to boot.

Is there a specific reason they don't want to go the public school route? The ps my girls were in last year had wonderful additional teachers for the children with Aspergers. Everyone was in the same classroom and the teachers offered help when needed.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Yes, I am considering curriculum, I think that a little bit at a time, meet in the middle somewhere.

Quoting debramommyof4: I agree with giving them a few weeks to learn the rules and get settled before you start school. Would you continue to unschool them or are you thinking about curriculum. If you think you want curriculum then I would slowly add one subject at a time since it would probably shock and overwhelm them if you added it all at once.
TidewaterClan
by Kate on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:57 PM
That's a shame about their schooling.

We're all here for you no matter what. Feel free to talk or vent as needed! :)

Quoting Precious333: I dont know if I am up for it, but I trustvthat between me and others it will work out. If they stay there my stepmom wont agree to public.school (really doubt it) and my dad will.go along with what she says. Neither are up for schooling them and so they will be getting nothing (my brother has hardly been doing anything but minecraft). I trust it will.work.out.

Quoting TidewaterClan: Precious, I know you've got a beautiful big heart, but are you up for this? I'm NOT criticizing, just worried about you because I know you're already under stress leading your co-op, teaching your children, and a baby to boot.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you :) you all are such amazing moms!

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's a shame about their schooling.

We're all here for you no matter what. Feel free to talk or vent as needed! :)

Quoting Precious333: I dont know if I am up for it, but I trustvthat between me and others it will work out. If they stay there my stepmom wont agree to public.school (really doubt it) and my dad will.go along with what she says. Neither are up for schooling them and so they will be getting nothing (my brother has hardly been doing anything but minecraft). I trust it will.work.out.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I was still trying to find a way to say this without all of hells bells coming down on me in here, when I saw that Kate had already written it in a very articulate way. So I will just ditto her. = D

Btw, that is terrible about your step mom Precious. I hope she gets well. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM
That's good.

Quoting Precious333: Yes, I am considering curriculum, I think that a little bit at a time, meet in the middle somewhere.

Quoting debramommyof4: I agree with giving them a few weeks to learn the rules and get settled before you start school. Would you continue to unschool them or are you thinking about curriculum. If you think you want curriculum then I would slowly add one subject at a time since it would probably shock and overwhelm them if you added it all at once.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)