Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Brag Post - My boys ASL presentations

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:12 AM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

My boys did an ASL class last semester. The final day of our co-op is a showcase, and my boys got up in front of all the families and friends (we have about 50 families in the co-op) and did their interpretations.

My eldest -

My youngest -

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

FYI - these are not truly ASL, it's more a Pigeon sign, or a SEE (signing exact English) - we did ASL for the class, but for the musical interpretations we did a more accurate representation of the lyrics.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM
They did amazing!

Do you know what curriculum they used? My 7 year old wants to learn and has learned all the signs on the signing time. I have tried free online sites and they all seem to be for adults.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM

That is awesome!  Great job!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I taught the class, and I didn't use a specific curriculum. I took a few semesters of ASL in college and volunteered at The American School for the Deaf so I'm pretty fluent in ASL. Doing signing to music helps the kids remember the signs they learn. But really an in person class is your best bet. There are just so many nuances to the language.

Quoting debramommyof4: They did amazing!

Do you know what curriculum they used? My 7 year old wants to learn and has learned all the signs on the signing time. I have tried free online sites and they all seem to be for adults.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Thanks I will have to see if I can find one. She wants to learn it and I really feel like it is important.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I taught the class, and I didn't use a specific curriculum. I took a few semesters of ASL in college and volunteered at The American School for the Deaf so I'm pretty fluent in ASL. Doing signing to music helps the kids remember the signs they learn. But really an in person class is your best bet. There are just so many nuances to the language.

Quoting debramommyof4: They did amazing!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM

That is cool! I know a few ASL interpreters so it is great to see others learning to do it!

kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

They did a great job!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM

That was beautiful.  They did an awesome job

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I love that my youngest is signing to such a sad song, and he manages to look on he he brink of tears the whole time..lol

Quoting romacox:

That was beautiful.  They did an awesome job

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN