Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Taking a sick day....sort of.

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM
  • 23 Replies

So my voice is gone, the wall in the basement froze (and so did the pipes inside it!), My cold settled into my chest so when I do try to whisper at the boys I start a coughing jag that doesn't end until I tear up.  Yeah, bad day!

So we decided to take a sick day except, we just don't take sick days.  This is what we came up with..... For MUS they are halfway through the lessons, so they simply did the next worksheet and brought it to me to check.  I gave a smiley sticker on each and every correct answer and they just kept going back to think again if they didn't get a sticker on the problem.

For language arts and phonics, Levi read a story to me.  I have a pen with an LED light on the top that highlights a word, until he got it right, the pen light wouldn't move on.  Xavier read an article to me (about Nautuluses) from his Ranger Rick magazine.  Sure it wasn't the Ants book we've been reading and outlining, but he has been needing to do some reading aloud work anyway.  Then we rolled our "reading for info" dice and he answered the questions....no momma speaking necessary.  Then they both picked up "ending" families and built words that ended that way (Xavier's pile has only vowel sounds like aw, oi, etc and Levi's has simpler endings like ack, ight, etc).  They flipped a 3 minute timer and they would build as many words as they could until the timer ran out.

For Europe (geography), we had read about the Balkans yesterday, so today they needed to color and label the countries on their own blank map of Europe.  Again no talking necessary.

For history, we just read about Robin Hood, so today they are watching a Robin Hood movie.  I hear them chattering away right now about how the story in this movie is the same and different from the stories we've read.

Learning can still happen when the teacher is sick.

(DH is STILL doing the science lessons, so I am off the hook for that!)

Now I'm going to go melt some snow to make tea!

Have a great day ladies!

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Sounds very productive. Go you! Feel better.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting debramommyof4: Sounds very productive. Go you! Feel better.

Thanks!  I thought I was feeling better, then SLAM  back here I am again!  

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:09 AM
You've definitely got their education all lined up.

I hope you feel better, and the pipes thaw too. Sorry to hear all of that.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Quoting TidewaterClan: You've definitely got their education all lined up.

Thanks!  I hate to take a day off in the winter.  I save those for spring when we can go out and play!  LOL

DH is warming the wall and we have some water now.  It's just sooooooo cold outside!

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Thanks!  I hate to take a day off in the winter.  I save those for spring when we can go out and play!  LOL

DH is warming the wall and we have some water now.  It's just sooooooo cold outside!

That's a good plan!  I worked us through the -0' days the school took off just so they can enjoy the 65' ones later on.  There are more coming next week.  I think we've had more snow/below zero days than the last three winters combined.

Have you guys ever opened up that wall and seen what the insulation looks like?  Our utility/laundry room pipes used to freeze all the time.  Dad and I took the drywall off last winter and a chipmunk had chewed the thick fiberboard that backs up to the bricks.  It was an arctic breeze.  We filled it up with that squirty foam stuff, and added a ton of tube and fiberglass insulation.  It helped quite a bit.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I hope you feel better soon!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's a good plan!  I worked us through the -0' days the school took off just so they can enjoy the 65' ones later on.  There are more coming next week.  I think we've had more snow/below zero days than the last three winters combined.

Have you guys ever opened up that wall and seen what the insulation looks like?  Our utility/laundry room pipes used to freeze all the time.  Dad and I took the drywall off last winter and a chipmunk had chewed the thick fiberboard that backs up to the bricks.  It was an arctic breeze.  We filled it up with that squirty foam stuff, and added a ton of tube and fiberglass insulation.  It helped quite a bit.

We built our house, so we know exactly what it looks like.  The problem with that wall is all the holes in it!  LOL  It's where everything comes in, electric, water (from the well which we abandoned and the cistern), the generator, just everything.  It's a cement block wall and we keep putting the foam stuff around each of the holes, but....there is an air intake in the wall for the cold room, so we can't just fill the whole section with foam as we would like.  Today's problem was that the actual ground outside of the house is frozen down a full 24 inches!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks!

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Rats! I was hoping you guys might have a chipmunk problem too :)

That's super cool you built your house! was that stressful, fun, or both?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We built our house, so we know exactly what it looks like.  The problem with that wall is all the holes in it!  LOL  It's where everything comes in, electric, water (from the well which we abandoned and the cistern), the generator, just everything.  It's a cement block wall and we keep putting the foam stuff around each of the holes, but....there is an air intake in the wall for the cold room, so we can't just fill the whole section with foam as we would like.  Today's problem was that the actual ground outside of the house is frozen down a full 24 inches!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, looking back on it (9 years ago) I say fun, but at the time.....LOL.  We lived in a camper (8 x 20) from March- November that year, until the pipes froze while we were sleeping.  Then we moved into the basement while we finished.  I had a 10 month old when we moved into the camper, and I was 6 months pregnant when we moved out of the camper, so that was a tight squeeze!  We had my middle boy while we were living in the basement.  We would fill a 55gal drum with water and heat it with a fire to take a bath and we had no electricity, running water, or phone until middle boy was 3 months old.  

Yeah, it was fun.  Seriously, I would do it again if we needed to, but I never ever ever ever ever ever want to move out of my house again.  And KBM's posts about moving just remind me of that! LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan: Rats! I was hoping you guys might have a chipmunk problem too :)

That's super cool you built your house! was that stressful, fun, or both?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)