Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many of you use this?

What do you like/ dislike about it? 

Any one used the delta or gamma books? As those will be the ones we start with if decide to use it..

Are the teacher books good? 

Are the teachers books really needed? Do they help you explain the things to the children?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

oh, and as for it being behind as well... if you follow the primer at KG and go up from there, it puts the child at 7th grade for the pre-algebra level... this is actually a grade or two earlier than many public schools which start them at 8th to 9th grade.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM
This has been helpful. I am glad you asked. Others had told me to look into it for my son and I think I am going to get it for my 7 year old as well.
bldjrs123
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Thanks ladies this has been very helpful... Me and the so are going to talk about it all later and if all goes well (funds included) hopefully we will be getting it next week... I think it might be best if i get the gamma 1st just to strengthing those skills and get them use to using the book and dvd... and then in a few weeks get the delta to start adding it in so that i dont have to buy so much at one time... Now to decide if i just want to get one student pack or two lol.... 

Side Question... In the student pack is it basicly just the workbook? or is there other things included.. If its just the workbook then i think i might just get one to keep it cheap and just make copies of the lessons for the other kid lol... hmmm not sure if workbook or ink and paper would be cheaper.... 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM
I really love Math U See. I always buy mine used. Also all the new books are back capatible. Look on eBay for deals and for the manipulatives.

My sons are on beta and primer. My kids watch the video before each new lesson and then they try the exercises on their own. I only intervene if they need help, which isn't often. I make my kids so all the exercises of each lesson and th extras in the test book. They are doing well.

Quoting bldjrs123:

Thanks ladies this has been very helpful... Me and the so are going to talk about it all later and if all goes well (funds included) hopefully we will be getting it next week... I think it might be best if i get the gamma 1st just to strengthing those skills and get them use to using the book and dvd... and then in a few weeks get the delta to start adding it in so that i dont have to buy so much at one time... Now to decide if i just want to get one student pack or two lol.... 

Side Question... In the student pack is it basicly just the workbook? or is there other things included.. If its just the workbook then i think i might just get one to keep it cheap and just make copies of the lessons for the other kid lol... hmmm not sure if workbook or ink and paper would be cheaper.... 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM

the student pack is the workbook and the test book

the teacher pack is the hardcover teacher book and dvd.

While I can't recall the MUS prices off the top of my head, I've done the math on a few workbooks and since I have to pay for copies at Staples, it seems to me that a lot of these publishers have the workbooks priced at exactly what having the entire book copied would cost! So I just buy the workbooks generally.

Quoting bldjrs123:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:46 PM
We love MUS as well....

As PP explained so well, it.SEEMS.behimd because public schools start multiplication in 3rd and divisiom at the end of 3rd. However, it.is very basic. Once.you get.into it with MUS.you go to a much higher.level in addition and subtraction than they would in PS and by time they hit prealgebra, they are a full year ahead of PS and at a higher level in each area.

I never touched a teacher's manual, even for grading until the division book. I have used it several times to help teach DS1 in Algebra and Geometry.
jessymoka
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM
We used math u see for one year. I am very bad at math so I disliked it very much.
We ended up purchasing teaching text books and LOVE their program.
Luckily the resale value of our math u see made our books not a total bust.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM
People copy stuff all the time, but I think its technically copywrited. Although it would be just as easy to have them write it all on blank paper. That makes it a little more work/writing though.

The student book in gamma is over 430 pgs long. Do you have your own copier or would you be paying 5-15 cents per copy?

Quoting bldjrs123:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Oh and the workbook is all of their work basically. They watch the brief video and do the work. Then you have a test after each lesson. Each lesson has 6 regular pages of work (12 front and back) plus one extra for application and enrichment. They are approx 30 lessons. Easy lessons will be breezed through, but harder ones could take two weeks.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM
I bought alpha, beta and gamma for my daughter thinking it would be easier or more helpful. It confused the day lights out of her and made her cry because it wasn't how we had originally taught her and she didn't understand. That isn't saying it's bad, it just didn't work for us. It may work way better for my other daughter who hasn't been taught any math (besides counting) yet (she is 4). For my older daughter we use a Waldorf method of math and it works really well for her. Very hands on and understandable. It doesn't even feel like we are " teaching".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)