Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another ???? lol little long

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
  • 7 Replies

Ok so i have been just making our curriculium as we go but I need more structure.. We seem to have more off days than work days lately. We done really good up til around the beginning of Dec now its more off days than school days. I believe if I had something with more of a structure/backbone to it I could have more on than off days lol... 

so.... Im looking at gamma/delta with math u see (have a post about that already) it seems to fit my kids well 

but im now on the look for  a science, language and reading curriculium... 

We are not the religious type so i would like to keep away from those. My dd was to start 4th grade this yr when we started homeschooling and my ds was suppose to start 7th but is so behind as he had iep and they basicly sweep him on threw the grades.. When we started hs he could only basicly add and subtract to a point but he can now do multi and division.. so thats GREAT! for him... And his reading and language are more on the 2nd grade level and my daughters reading is more 5th grade level and language right on point... 

Im mostly looking for language and reading for them as i believe i can just contiune to make up the science and social studies like we have been. Unless i find a science one i like that is not an arm and leg lol...

The social studies we have a workbook right now that is working on maps and then the states and regions and etc like that.. then after we finish that i would like to find something that starts with the us history stuff.

I need curriculium that is not so much internet based as we will be traveling quite often and my so is a pipefitter and we travel with him (ONE of the reasons we decided to hs) 

thanks ladies for any and all help...

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I wish you luck. We read a lot for lit. My oldest who is 8 (working between 3 and 4th grades) is reading through Little House on the Prairie right now and we find worksheets or I ask her to answer certain questions I right down.

For writing we are using Strategies for young writers.

For spelling she uses Spelling Workout.
bldjrs123
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM

My dd has been basicly just reading books and then writing summaries over x-x chapters that she read... and spelling im just pulling words off my brain or offline... And my ds i have some phonics books that he reads and i do the same with his spelling words that i do hers just words that are more on his level..

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I recognize a bit of southern grammar there - am I correct? = )

((former Texas girl here))

I secularly homeschool too. I am not a curriculum expert in the least. I have curriculum materials but I supplement with "real" books. I am doing research on science curriculums myself, so I am of no help there (this year we are finishing up what Pandia Press has to offer for Science and a hodge podge of other books). For English I swear by MCT and EIW - plus just lots of reading. Again, I have a hodge podge of materials I have collected over the years that sometimes gets thrown into the mix. History, did you say history?! I can't remember. Anyways, Pandia Press (LOVE). It is a classical way of going about history though. I do remember that you want to use MUS (which sounds good - for whatever my opinion is worth). 

Do you have a Rainbow Resources catalogue? They have decent descriptions and WIDE range of materials offered. There are a few homeschool review websites as well. 

Hope this helps some. 

bldjrs123
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Ahhh yes... born and raised in arkansas....    You can tell that just with my typing? lol

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

My dad in Texas says "We done real good" (he lives near the Oklahoma / Texas / Arkansas borders). It is a southern phrase. Something similar to how northern folks say that they "walked THROUGH a door". 

Quoting bldjrs123:

Ahhh yes... born and raised in arkansas....    You can tell that just with my typing? lol

bldjrs123
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM

ahh i see lol.... more of a duh moment when i read ur reply lol... I lived in NY state for 2 yrs and after traveling in iowa, north dakota, and ohio this year i def see how we "southerns" say different phrases than the "northerners" lol

Quoting bldjrs123:

Ok so i have been just making our curriculium as we go but I need more structure.. We seem to have more off days than work days lately. We done really good up til around the beginning of Dec now its more off days than school days. I believe if I had something with more of a structure/backbone to it I could have more on than off days lol... 

so.... Im looking at gamma/delta with math u see (have a post about that already) it seems to fit my kids well 

but im now on the look for  a science, language and reading curriculium... 

We are not the religious type so i would like to keep away from those. My dd was to start 4th grade this yr when we started homeschooling and my ds was suppose to start 7th but is so behind as he had iep and they basicly sweep him on threw the grades.. When we started hs he could only basicly add and subtract to a point but he can now do multi and division.. so thats GREAT! for him... And his reading and language are more on the 2nd grade level and my daughters reading is more 5th grade level and language right on point... 

Im mostly looking for language and reading for them as i believe i can just contiune to make up the science and social studies like we have been. Unless i find a science one i like that is not an arm and leg lol...

The social studies we have a workbook right now that is working on maps and then the states and regions and etc like that.. then after we finish that i would like to find something that starts with the us history stuff.

I need curriculium that is not so much internet based as we will be traveling quite often and my so is a pipefitter and we travel with him (ONE of the reasons we decided to hs) 

thanks ladies for any and all help...

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Since you are doing two kids, it may be worth it for you to look into Science in a nutshell boxes. Each box is about $45 but has everything you need, includimg journals, for 3 students they are set up for 3rd-6th grade but you cam go more in-depth for.your oldest with supplemental books. Since you say she is slightly behind, they may be just perfect for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)