Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sonlight Curriculum... Any thoughts?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am trying to nail down the curriculum we're going to use next year when we start homeschooling and I had a lot of people suggest sonlight.  Has anyone used this?  Is it worth the price?  What appealed to me was that it has daily lesson plans and seems very organized.

armyshooting photoplaying soccerbaseballbaby boy
Wife of a US Soldier and Mommy to 3 Wonderful Little Boys

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM

We are using Sonlight this year, but not as it is written, so I'm not going to use it next year.  I love the books that it comes with and that it's easy to make secular.  If we actually used it as it is written, we discuss the books, but don't follow the questions it give, or the order that everything is set up in.  We are only doing the history, read a louds and readers, which comes with a languages arts, but I already had one so we are not really using theirs expect for the dictation.  I can not comment on the science.  We are using Saxon Math 8/7, which seems to be the best math my daughter has done since Math Steps in 4th grade.

As far as the price, you can sometimes find the books that they don't publish cheaper, but we didn't feel like trying to hunt them all down and baught the package.  I might use it as a reference for books for my son, but I don't think we will be using the packages again.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I only use the history curriculum for my son's reading curriculum and find my own study guides elsewhere or make up my own thing for him to do related to whatever book it is.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM

We use Sonlight and have for the past 3 years.  I like that it is laid out what we need to do each day (I really need that).

I think that in the long run though, we will slowly break away from doing it or have to adapt it somewhat.  I have a 1st grader, preschooler, 2YO and 2 month old so it isn't possible to do 4 separate cores at one time.  I am having a hard time lately with just 2.  LOL

BrayandRoosMom
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM

When we start next year I'll have a 1st grader and preschooler too! LOL  Maybe i'll keep searchin... but I may look at some of their stuff as seperate pieces

Quoting jwhit8791:

We use Sonlight and have for the past 3 years.  I like that it is laid out what we need to do each day (I really need that).

I think that in the long run though, we will slowly break away from doing it or have to adapt it somewhat.  I have a 1st grader, preschooler, 2YO and 2 month old so it isn't possible to do 4 separate cores at one time.  I am having a hard time lately with just 2.  LOL

armyshooting photoplaying soccerbaseballbaby boy
Wife of a US Soldier and Mommy to 3 Wonderful Little Boys

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM

My kiddos do love all the books, my 6YO sits while I work with the preschooler and listens to the stories he went through a few years ago. 

Quoting BrayandRoosMom:

When we start next year I'll have a 1st grader and preschooler too! LOL  Maybe i'll keep searchin... but I may look at some of their stuff as seperate pieces

Quoting jwhit8791:

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Alot of it depends on how much you like reading aloud. I personally hate reading aloud and my kids hate reading,so Sonlight was horrible fit for us.my kids prefer workbooks and hands on things. There was way too much reading boring books for us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)