Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need your insight for my problem

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter is 6 year old. We are doing 1s grade in our home school. I always ask this question to myself. " Why she is not interested in any thing except TV, ipad or playing?"

Every day when we start education, she says mom can we do latter, or can we do little today. Also she is not interested in any particular subject. She thinks education (reading and writing) is boring.

How can i change her mentality. I want her to like education. I dodnt want her to be like me.

Any thoughts on what can i do? where i am wrong?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Here is my advice and it may or may not work for you.

Take away the tv and other electronics. I did and then went with more hands on activities for awhile and then slowly allowed them to start using the computer and tv again. Though it was just for educational stuff. But since that's what they watched before the tv was taken.
julesjerry
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I tried this before, it didnt work. She didnt even care TV or ipad. I will try it again. Like a week without any electronics.  Thank you.

Quoting debramommyof4: Here is my advice and it may or may not work for you.

Take away the tv and other electronics. I did and then went with more hands on activities for awhile and then slowly allowed them to start using the computer and tv again. Though it was just for educational stuff. But since that's what they watched before the tv was taken.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck! Some kids could care less what you take a way. My kids are very stubborn.

I ended up taking it away for a few months and when they stopped cleaning the playroom they lost toys to a black trash bag. They eventually ran out of stuff and decided to listen and pick up and then do their school work without complaint.

Quoting julesjerry:

I tried this before, it didnt work. She didnt even care TV or ipad. I will try it again. Like a week without any electronics.  Thank you.

Quoting debramommyof4: Here is my advice and it may or may not work for you.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Well, do you normally enjoy doing other stuff with her? Is this new or had she always spurned playing and activities for something with a screen?

I'm a bit of a couch potato and so are my kids. However, we limit out tv time and try to get really gungho with projects, books, and crafts.

If it continues, you may have to consider having the rule of no "screen time" until after a certain time daily or weekends only ...

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Learning isn't always reading and writing, often it is play. What we see as play is learning for most young people.

asaffell
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM

What does she like to do?

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:51 AM

One of the mothers here  gave a good example that should be of help.

My Journey From Public School Teacher To Home School Mom

julesjerry
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Quoting asaffell:

What does she like to do?

Play with me or with her dad or with her toys. But she will listen me what ever i say. When i ask her to read she will do, but without interest. She is very good and well behaved child. Only issue no interest. She always love to do experiment.  

julesjerry
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM

From baby she doesn't show much interest in books. But when we read she will sit and she reads like 2nd grader. She is very well advance. Issue is she wont do it on her own, when i say only she will do. This shows that she didn't have interest. Am i right.

Quoting KrissyKC: Well, do you normally enjoy doing other stuff with her? Is this new or had she always spurned playing and activities for something with a screen?

I'm a bit of a couch potato and so are my kids. However, we limit out tv time and try to get really gungho with projects, books, and crafts.

If it continues, you may have to consider having the rule of no "screen time" until after a certain time daily or weekends only ...

jojo1974
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM
2 moms liked this

If she likes TV, use it to your advantage.  There are some wonderfully educational shows that you can use as a starting block for learning.  Try Big Cat Diary or Merecat Manor, or American the WIld,  There's a fantastic series called North America which is incredible.  You can find shows on volcanoes, space and all kinds of history.  The History Channel has great shows.  The Science Channel has a series called "What the Ancients Knew" which covers the Romans, Eyptians, Greeks, etc. 

I'm not saying you should watch tv all day, but use it as a starting point.  Use books after the shows to learn more.  Find coloring sheets to print from the internet so she can color the pyramids or a mummy.  Find some worksheets about the lions or tigers or bears.  Build a volcano out of clay and make it explode!

Maybe once she sees how much fun learning can be - and how much there is to learn - she will get to a perfect place and enjoy school more.

ps - and I agree - no more ipad or tc unless it's the two of you watching an educational show together and talking about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN