Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"But what about the birthday" and other stupid concerns about HS.

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

My mom just called me in tears my DS's birthday is in Ap. and she is upset about "Since you yanked him from all his chums at proper school he is going to have no one at his party"

GRRRR like ALLLLLLLLLLLL his friends came from there...ummm NOT

He is excited because since he doesnt feel like he has to invite everyone he is only going to invite a few and we are going to go to a more expensive place (vrs swimming)

Any other "stupid" concers you faced from others when you said you were homeschooling.

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM
They will never make friends.

But they need time away from you.

My mom said those.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I heard the b-day concern too! But my kids never went to 'proper school' so my dad was convinced they would never have anyone at their parties. Last year DS had 20 friends at his party....99% of them were also homeschoolers! 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the "they won't learn to sit quietly for hours" concern......um.....ok?

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

The most ridiculous thing I've heard was I believe right here on CM. It was along the lines of "homeschoolers are robbed of the experience of back to school shopping"

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I have been told that they will never learn to listen to authority if they are homeschooled!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM
That is so stupid. Of course we do school shopping. And I even do back to school shopping. It just does not include clothing.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

The most ridiculous thing I've heard was I believe right here on CM. It was along the lines of "homeschoolers are robbed of the experience of back to school shopping"

AmyG1976
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM

wow in 4years that never crossed my mind what about the poor kids with summer birthdays lol wow the silly things ppl worry about like really worrying and making up things to worry about is not good for you tell her to breath and let it go relax learn a hobby lol idk

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM
The worse thing I ever heard is that my 6 year old who has a severe language delay should stay in public school so he can learn how to handle being bullied. And BTW I did not take him out of PS because he was being teased, so it made the comment even more bizarre.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM
3 moms liked this

How will they ever learn to deal with confrontation? ~ Ummmm with 3 boys in the house, we NEVER have any confrontation.~ Ultimate sarcasm.

tntmom1027
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister said: What about socialization is he still going to do stuff? 

Yeah because we never did anything out side of school to socialize. I told her no I'm just going to keep him locked up inside forever and never let him out lol 

We've been doing soccer and other activities for years..though he said this year he wants to play golf instead of soccer..he's 6. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)