Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

which of these influence your education choices?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
Academically – How important are academics?

Career-wise – What does career preparation mean?

Spiritually -- What does maturing faith look like?

In facts and knowledge – What should your child know and does he know how to think and learn for himself? What skills should he know?

Inwardly – Is your child discovering a passion for something and learning to see that tied to his purpose in life?

Relationally – What values will your child apply when relating to other people once he is on his own? Is he learning to be kind and compassionate?
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Can we pick all of the above?  Though I'm not sure that career prep is entirely high on my list.  Work ethic is.  My kids need a lot of work on relationships, but we're getting there.  It's a huge emphasis of our day.  The facts and knowledge is my place of struggle.  What exactly do they need to learn?  We all know about the facts and data that we have forgotten from our own education.  You keep at the fore what you need here and now, so to me the skills are more important, but you have to teach that along with the facts.  But the facts that are taught are picked out of a slew of facts, so I might now choose the same important facts that you choose.

Countess79
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

You certainly can choose that..

I do.. I want my son's to grow up and be capable of succeeding in any rhelm they decide they want to participate in. I want them to be involved in a wide variety of things.. but as I tell them now.. Education plays a HUGE role in what your able to dabble in later..

Quoting hwblyf:

Can we pick all of the above?  Though I'm not sure that career prep is entirely high on my list.  Work ethic is.  My kids need a lot of work on relationships, but we're getting there.  It's a huge emphasis of our day.  The facts and knowledge is my place of struggle.  What exactly do they need to learn?  We all know about the facts and data that we have forgotten from our own education.  You keep at the fore what you need here and now, so to me the skills are more important, but you have to teach that along with the facts.  But the facts that are taught are picked out of a slew of facts, so I might now choose the same important facts that you choose.

Your part in red.. I highlighted.. is very interesting and thought provoking!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Facts and knowledge are not a big deal to us.  I would say we choose according to Academics, "Inwardly", and "Relationally".  Teaching Academics to me means that the child will always be able to learn the facts when they are necessary.  My kids also have lots of passions, we are trying to foster those passions and working on choosing careers that can utilize those passions.  And relationships are also pretty important in our family and community.  They are building relationships in our community and within our family.

Spirituallity is very personal for us, but it is down on our priority list as far as homeschooling is concerned because we would be teaching them exactly what we are teaching even if they were in Public School.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM

To answer the titled question Which of these influence your education choices?  -- for me personally, the most important factor is hands down, academics (which for me includes finding what best works for my child, how to best set up an environment to inspire learning, finding successful methods for retention of the materials, etc).   

Quoting Countess79: Academically – How important are academics? academics is the most important to me in regards to school

Career-wise – What does career preparation mean? career and personal passions will be cultivated through a multitude of things. Having a solid work ethic and strong academics understanding will help as well. 

Spiritually -- What does maturing faith look like? spirituality is personal and is not related to our school so I will skip on answering this.

In facts and knowledge – What should your child know and does he know how to think and learn for himself? What skills should he know? My kids are making their way through the school subjects in and orderly way that makes sense to us and appear to be a decent job of understanding and retaining the information.

Inwardly – Is your child discovering a passion for something and learning to see that tied to his purpose in life? My kids are developing individual interests and such.

Relationally – What values will your child apply when relating to other people once he is on his own? Is he learning to be kind and compassionate? 
I am trying to help cultivate well rounded individuals and I hopefully I am doing a decent job of it -- for their sake and societys.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know if i can answer this.  I'd like all of them to fit some place and hope that I teach or find what they need for them to have a happy and successful life.  It all comes down to I think I can give them a better life than a school can.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I'd say they all play a part in my child finding out exactly who they are - developing an iron clad sense of self. That way they feel free to follow their dreams and always know where to go to find the tools necessary to achieve those dreams.

craftymom2b
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

For me I would have to say all of them are very important to have/live a sucessful life.

Academically – How important are academics? I think academics are very important. It sets you up for a greater opportunity to succeed in your area of study. 

Career-wise – What does career preparation mean? Researching your inner self to see how your education, passion and work ethic will help you to be the best person you can be in your career choice.

Spiritually -- What does maturing faith look like? Important to know who you are and why God truly created you. For our family spiritually is a big deal in how we see how ourselves, deal with others, and truly being happy with yourself and knowing your God given purpose in life. (character)

In facts and knowledge – What should your child know and does he know how to think and learn for himself? What skills should he know? This is a learning process since my kiddos are still young. We are learning this day by day.

Inwardly – Is your child discovering a passion for something and learning to see that tied to his purpose in life? Absolutely! My oldest has a heart of compassion. She loves to help! (She has not tied it to a purpose because she is still so young.) But mommy sees it : )

Relationally – What values will your child apply when relating to other people once he is on his own? Is he learning to be kind and compassionate? Absolutely, without knowing how to treat people leads to a lonely life in my opinion. This is big in our household.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM
#1and #4 are most important to us
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I think that we are taking into account all but a career focus at this point.  We use all of these to help guide and create a full education.  My children are only 5 1/2 and 8, so career choices have come and gone in the last few years with the oldest.  When they are ready to truly decide on a career then we will start to focus on that.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:16 PM
This is as close to my answer as I am going to get without going off into too long a speech. lol
Something I find extremely interesting as KickbButtMama and I don't walk in the same spiritual world. I find we have closer views despite the differences. Plus she's a great mom to boot.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'd say they all play a part in my child finding out exactly who they are - developing an iron clad sense of self. That way they feel free to follow their dreams and always know where to go to find the tools necessary to achieve those dreams.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)