Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to group and homeschooling

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:51 AM
  • 12 Replies

I just pulled my almost 8 year old. He's in second grade. After the year he's had we are just sort of taking it easy and trying gauge where he is at. We are using Time4Learning right now with some workbooks, trips to the library and just whatever else we choose to do. :) next year I hope to have things a little more together. 

any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a great weekend.

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Sounds like you are doing great!  Many people advise that you deschool for a while and see what level your child is, what interests your child, and what learning style your child predominantly uses.  Then start looking at curriculum that will aim at that learning style in his level and will help to boost the other learning styles as well.  It sounds like you are on spot with all of that!  

Welcome to the group!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM
How is he doing with Time4Learning? I just ended our subscription and am doing the free trial of K5Learning. That seems more of a tutorial. When he doesn't get the answer the problem is explained to him.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

So far so good since we are still figuring out what he knows and doesn't. Really going at our own pace and working through things together. He's loving the worksheets and being able to see right away if he's getting things right or if he needs to work on something more. I'm thinking we will probably use something else for the next school year but this seems okay for now. 

Quoting Bluecalm: How is he doing with Time4Learning? I just ended our subscription and am doing the free trial of K5Learning. That seems more of a tutorial. When he doesn't get the answer the problem is explained to him.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:08 AM
That is exactly what we did with our almost 8 yr old daughter. We pulled her and popped her on time4learning with a few extras.

We didn't keep t4l after that year, but we have used it other times to help us.

She is 12 now... its been just over 4 years. We pulled my son out after kindergarten later that year. I have two more kids and we are loving hsing.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Yay! This makes me feel so much better. We really are both enjoying it. I just can't wait until it warms up a little so we can go on some outdoor field trips. What curriculums have found to work since you stopped t4l. I've been reading and researching but there is a ton out there. 

Quoting KrissyKC: That is exactly what we did with our almost 8 yr old daughter. We pulled her and popped her on time4learning with a few extras.

She is 12 now... its been just over 4 years. We pulled my son out after kindergarten later that year. I have two more kids and we are loving hsing.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Welcome! 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:52 AM

We still use t4l with my two boys, ages 9 & 12, but we do mostly unschool, t4l is my compromise and they like it for doing some work independantly of eachother. 

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Yay! This makes me feel so much better. We really are both enjoying it. I just can't wait until it warms up a little so we can go on some outdoor field trips. What curriculums have found to work since you stopped t4l. I've been reading and researching but there is a ton out there. 

Quoting KrissyKC: That is exactly what we did with our almost 8 yr old daughter. We pulled her and popped her on time4learning with a few extras.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Well, I want to cry. My whole post that I wrote just got erased with one finger slipbang head on keyboard

Codysmom2106
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Oh no! Im sorry!

Quoting paganbaby:

Well, I want to cry. My whole post that I wrote just got erased with one finger slipbang head on keyboard

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Lets try this again! But this time I'm just going to condense it,lol.

You're doing great.

After some bumming around, this is what my kids ended up doing.

9yo ds. Math- Life of Fred

L.A.- Online comic booking, note writing and story telling.

Writting skills- Mazes, coloring and drawing.

History- Disgusting History (book) Horrible histories (YouTube) anything related on Netflix. After each chapter/lesson, he tells me what he learned and I write it down in his history journal.

Science- I pick a subject, ex; Earth Science, plants, animal/insects, biology, pathology, ect and the kids pick a topic. I then go to the library and get a few interesting books, we watch videos on YouTube, shows on Netflix, after each lesson I write down what he learns.

My 14 year old does basicly the same thing but with a few differences.

Math- Life of Fred

L.A. Will be Life of Fred L.A.

History and science is the same except she reads to us (She likes being the teacher,lol) And she writes in her own notebooks.

Extra curiculars are Home EC, Science projects, and Art.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)