Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you do if....

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM
  • 27 Replies

The boys started today with their language arts lesson, but then DH wanted to do his science lesson next because he's leaving at noon for a meeting.  His lesson happens to be making a telegraph.  They are sending Morse Code messages to one another from the kitchen to the TV room.  They started with a light and added a buzzer.  They have now been working for an hour and a half with this and loving it, it looks as though it will keep going for awhile.  They are building words, writing down their messages and converting it to the dashes and dots.  Then they are also converting the dashes and dots to letters and figuring out what the other said.  So.....

Whout would you do?  The science lesson has already run way over time (typically an hour).  Would you go ahead and count this time as their phonics/spelling?  Would you say they can play with their invention later?  How do you handle the days where the learning takes on a life of its own?

(We are counting it as pretty much the entire day of learning.  The only other thing I will be making them do is their math test because I hate for them to space it over a weekend.)

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM
5 moms liked this

Total time writing and sending messages?  2 hours and 45 minutes.  Their final message was.... "If we don't stop sending these, we'll be up at midnight doing our math test."  LOL

They are now working on their math tests.  We're going to do their history after lunch, but then we're calling our day done.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM

How fun! When they get that involved in something, I tend to just let them go with it.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

BTW that sounds like such a fun project! My kids would love to do that

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I would count it. They are writing and coming up with sentences and spelling.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pukalani79:

How fun! When they get that involved in something, I tend to just let them go with it.

They have had a blast today.  As they are doing their tests, they are still writing possible messages in the margins!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting debramommyof4: I would count it. They are writing and coming up with sentences and spelling.

They are writing sentences and all.  They have even discovered WHY we use punctuation!  They have come up with a couple sentences that can be taken a couple ways without its commas!  LOL

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

lol @ that final message. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4: I would count it. They are writing and coming up with sentences and spelling.

They are writing sentences and all.  They have even discovered WHY we use punctuation!  They have come up with a couple sentences that can be taken a couple ways without its commas!  LOL

Ha ha!  I'll bet that happened all the time in the days of the telegraph.  

I'd definitely count it all.  Sometimes our science or social studies runs longer than normal too.

Good luck to them on their math tests!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

They did very well on their math tests (100% and 97%).  Now they are back to telegraphing to each other!  It is driving the dogs CRAZY!!!!  LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'd definitely count it all.  Sometimes our science or social studies runs longer than normal too.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Awwwwwooooooooo!  Poor dogs, lol!  They're going to start barking . . . - - - . . .   :)

Awesome jobs on the test scores!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

They did very well on their math tests (100% and 97%).  Now they are back to telegraphing to each other!  It is driving the dogs CRAZY!!!!  LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)