Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

my 4 year old can't talk properly...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm really nervous about it. He says "me want drink" or "can us play outside?". He just turned 4 in December but my ODD never talked like this. Its driving me batty!
speech therapy turned him away because he was a "preemie" (born at 37 weeks- I didn't think that was a preemie) so i need suggestions for helping him at home.
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Make him say the sentence correctly. If he says "Me want drink." Tell him "I want a drink." And make him repeat it. He will eventually catch on.
Howardx5
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM
We've been doing this for over a year and he isn't getting it. We've never done "baby talk" with him so I don't know where he even picked up on it at to begin with

Quoting debramommyof4: Make him say the sentence correctly. If he says "Me want drink." Tell him "I want a drink." And make him repeat it. He will eventually catch on.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM
That's strange. That was my best advice. I hope that someone has better advice.

Quoting Howardx5: We've been doing this for over a year and he isn't getting it. We've never done "baby talk" with him so I don't know where he even picked up on it at to begin with

Quoting debramommyof4: Make him say the sentence correctly. If he says "Me want drink." Tell him "I want a drink." And make him repeat it. He will eventually catch on.
maggiemom2000
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

He should not et turned away from speech therapy because of his gestational age at birth, (unless he is fine based on his corrected age, but I can't imagine 3 weeks adjusted age would make a difference at this point).

When did you have him assessed for speech therapy?

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Im not a a speech therapist and have no experience in that area, so I do not have an ounce of advice for you.

However, I would suggest calling a different speech therapist. I also would have really pushed hard on that 37wk thing - but I am just like that when people say things that lack a lick of sense to me. 

Does your child have a decent vocabulary bank - or is it just the bad grammar there? I like the advice someone gave you to correct the grammar (even if it doesn't seem to show progress). 

Howardx5
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM
His vocabulary itself seems fine. He just doesn't seem to know how to use it. And a lot of words are not understandable to people who aren't around him constantly. There's still times where I'm like "I have no clue what you just said". He gets frustrated after I ask him to repeat it a few times. Then it goes downhill from there

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Im not a a speech therapist and have no experience in that area, so I do not have an ounce of advice for you.

However, I would suggest calling a different speech therapist. I also would have really pushed hard on that 37wk thing - but I am just like that when people say things that lack a lick of sense to me. 

Does your child have a decent vocabulary bank - or is it just the bad grammar there? I like the advice someone gave you to correct the grammar (even if it doesn't seem to show progress). 

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

He may have a form of apraxia. I would recommend strongly that you have an evaluation. He is legally entitled to one at his age through the school district or the health department (depending on what state you live in). Even if you are intending to homeschool him, they cannot refuse an initial evaluation. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Valentines tickers
Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

I am a conservative Christian homeschooling mama of 3 who believes strongly in traditional families and traditional roles. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was the same way. He didn't really start talking till almost 4. I just picked up a book on speech therapy. Don't correct him. Just repeat it back correctly and he will catch on. It can frustrate him if you correct him and make him say it correctly. He will catch on. Reading to him will also help him to learn how to say things correctly. Talk to him constantly as you go throughout your day. When my son turned 5 and he started learning to read he made a lot of headway verbally. Some kids just develop verbally differently.
tntmom1027
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM

My son was born at 37 weeks and was on the small side(just over 5 lbs) at birth. the doc said he would be caught up fully by age 2 or 3. And he was. 

I agree with others. Get an evaluation and push for speech therapy. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM

One of my friends has two children who had similar issues.  They've been in speech therapy since they were little, and it's made a huge difference.  I agree with the other ladies who say find another therapist, and get him seen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)