Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help!!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have no clue what to do we have been homeschoolong for almost 2 years now and my oldest can be s frustrating. We do our lesson first then book work about the lessan  we just had I will explain what to do and then dismiss her to do her work and not more then a minute later she is asking me what to do on the page. I find my self more and more yelling I JUST TOLD YU WHAT TO DO!! Am i missing something am i doing it wrong or smething how do i get her to do better eventuolly i will e homeschooling 4 other babys and i need her to be able to listen and know what to do when we get done with the lessan in the morning but its like she cant even remeber anything anymore it seems like we have gone over noan and all that and i still have to tell her what they are and its been a year and a half that we had those lessans am i expecting to much from her or something im just so frustrated with the whole ideal. End rant 

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Well part of it could be age.  How old is your daughte?  Part of it could be the curriculum and how you are going about it.  What are you using?

tinkerspell
by Kera on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM

she is 8 years old we do alot of book work she always loves doing it she looks forward to it begs to do school work they are like little work sheets that she does i cant remember the name of it or i would tell you 

Quoting Silverkitty:

Well part of it could be age.  How old is your daughte?  Part of it could be the curriculum and how you are going about it.  What are you using?

maggiemom2000
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

She's coming back and asking you to tell her all over again what to do because she can. It is working for her (not for you, but it works for her!)

She's old enough to start taking on more responsibility for her work. She can be reading some simple directions and following through without you telling her step by step what to do.

In my house, setting up workboxes was very freeing, and stopped a lot of little irritating things like this. The kids quicklly learned to go to the workbox, and do the assignment.

A "mom" tag on the box means mom will explain or do it with you. There are also "help" tags you can give your child, and you can limit them to a certain number of tags so that they will stop and evaluate if they really need to ask, or if they can do it alone. (simply setting up the workboxes fixed that at our house and we ended up not using them, but they must be helpful in other houses because I see them in all of the workbox tags!)

Lots more info and links here:

How Workboxes Work in our House

We are a couple of weeks into our second year of homeschool at our house. One thing that we have found works well for us is the Workboxes system. I must admit I never read "the book", Sue Patrick's Workbox System. I read a lot of blogs, looked at a lot of photos and came up with our own version of the system.
For the first time this year the boys are enrolled in the California Virtual Academy (CAVA) which uses the K12 curriculum. I find it is easy to use the Workboxes with this curriculum. (EDIT: We left CAVA/K12 after 6 weeks)
I have one child who is easy to homeschool. He is organized, and will sit quietly and do "seatwork". If I were just working with him I wouldn't need any kind of "system".
My other child is not that way. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and OCD. I know some people don't like labels for their kids. For me, it helps to remind me that I didn't do, or not do anything to cause the way he goes through life. I can't change him, but I can help to try and give him tools to make it easier to get through life. With this child, I needed a "system'!
While I try and make the kids assignments not to "schooly" and avoid worksheets and generally boring busy work, there still needs to be a way to get through the curriculum. The Workboxes help with this. I find that it does several things that are particularly helpful for a child with ADHD:
  • It helps with organization.
  • It is visual and tactile. He can see how much work (how many boxes) need to get done. He physically moves the tag off the box and onto the chart when he is finished with it.
  • It is self rewarding in that he can see the number of tags increase on his chart and feel a sense of accomplishment.
  • It is not so overwhelming to have one task in a box. It doles things out in small enough chunks for him.
  • It takes away me being the one telling him to do each assignment. Instead he just takes a box off the shelf. I find this leads to fewer power struggles.
  • It gives him a sense of control. I allow him to choose which box to do next, he doesn't need to do them in any specific order.
  • It helps me to insert more fun stuff and games. When I put the game in the box the night before I'm not overwhelmed and ready to quit for the day! Before, by the time I got through math, writing, science, etc. I was too tired to say "Let's play Scrabble!" But when it is on one of the boxes it is different.
  • It promotes independence. He chooses a box and starts working on it on his own (unless it is a "MOM" box, then he brings it to me for us to do together).
With my first child, I just had to tell him how the system works, once. With my second child it took a bit more work. The first week with the workboxes there were boxes and tags and supplies EVERYWHERE! It took some time, and lots of one on one to teach him to take down one box, finish it, move the tag, put it away, then take the next box. I think just learning a routine like that is valuable in itself.

This is what it looks like:
I was able to use some shelves that we already had for the workboxes. Each child has 12 boxes, and I usually "fill" 9-12 boxes each day. At first I thought, how will I ever fill 12 boxes, that is WAY too much! When I started doing it I quickly realized that it wasn't too much, because many of the boxes have short activities. Plus, I needed lots of boxes so that I could add lots of "fun" stuff. My kids love the Active Activity Cards. I downloaded those and made more of my own.

I was amazed at first to find that if I put it into a Workbox, they just did it. It was that easy.

When they finish a box, they pull off the tag and and place it on their chart.

I have one child who always carefully places each tag on his chart in numerical order. My other child is a bit less orderly with how he gets his number tags onto his chart. I'll leave you to figure out who does it which way.

This system also keeps ME organized and on track. 
I'm much less likely to get too tired at some point and just put something off until the next day (and the next). I keep things on hand to add to the boxes to keep things interesting and "hand on". In addition to my shelves full of supplies I have this little cart with little games, math manipulatives, hands on science equipment and other supplies. I find that if it is within reach I'm much more likely to take advantage of it.

It is a lot of organization up front, but not too difficult to maintain!

Added January, 2013

More resources:
Workbox Tags
More Workbox Tags
Workboxables

More on using workboxes with a child with ADHD/Aspergers, or similar challenges:
Get Creative!
Fun Workboxes
Workboxes and Power Struggles
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Eight is far too young to expect independent work, imo.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM
It depends on the child. My girls are 7 and 8. From kindergarten with them I could teach them a lesson and then give them the work and go work with the other child and they could do it.

My son who is 4 and not yet technically in k, but we are working at that level however can not be left to do his own work yet and I have a feeling he will not be able to at 8.

I do have to be in the room and I am available for questions but they have to come and sit near me quietly till I am at a stopping point with the other child.

My 3 year old will also work independently if I give her something and tell her how to do it but it rarely gets done the way I told her. So we do it again.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:06 PM

My daughter wasn't able to work independantly until this year and she is 12.  Some children can and some can not.

My daugher liked workbooks for a little while, but prefered to create things for the majority of her classes.  We are just now getting back to the workbooks and reading for her classes and she is one to two years away from high school.

Quoting tinkerspell:

she is 8 years old we do alot of book work she always loves doing it she looks forward to it begs to do school work they are like little work sheets that she does i cant remember the name of it or i would tell you 

Quoting Silverkitty:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:28 AM

It's true. My 7 year old can work independently beautifully. My 9 year old on the other hand, needs constant redirection. My 14 year technically can work independently, but she does her best work when I'm working with her.

Quoting debramommyof4: It depends on the child. My girls are 7 and 8. From kindergarten with them I could teach them a lesson and then give them the work and go work with the other child and they could do it.

My son who is 4 and not yet technically in k, but we are working at that level however can not be left to do his own work yet and I have a feeling he will not be able to at 8.

I do have to be in the room and I am available for questions but they have to come and sit near me quietly till I am at a stopping point with the other child.

My 3 year old will also work independently if I give her something and tell her how to do it but it rarely gets done the way I told her. So we do it again.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

tinkerspell
by Kera on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM

but is it normal for her to have to ask a number of times what to do even after it being explained 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM
My older two (9 and 12) are able to do all of our together work and then they have an assignment sheet they get to check off as done. This motivates them and its right in front of them (directions on what needs done). This has worked best for us.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh. Another thought. I have one (my 5 yr old) that is impossible to get through to auditorily. Maybe your child is like that. She is nodding and uhhuhing but it's really not being translated to her thoughts.

Not saying its a disability, but it could just be her learning style. Write down the assignment in a simple and routine way. Then have her read the directions to herself and explain to you what she is supposed to do before she starts.

Also, try a reward system. Like give her three buttons. Each time she has to come for help, it costs her a button. If she has at least one button left at the end...she gets x...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)