Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

black history month

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this
Just wondering what your plans are for next month. This is our first year and I'm plannintg a few different things.

Week 1: slavery, slave ships, plantations, Harriet tubman and the underground railroad. With a posterboard project or small essay.

Week 2: religions and beliefs and a few notable peoole like george washington carver.

Week 3: civil rights, MLK, Rosa Parks. We will probably do a time line outlining important events.

Week 4: NElson Mandela, prejudice, and other famous black people. We will probably do another poster board project or whatever project dd chooses.

I just ran across familyeducation.com and the site has a some great printouts and other things. :)
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Hmmm, I might steal a few of those ideas. Thanks!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Wow, these are some great ideas!  How old are your kids?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Neat. We are overbooked to add extra stuff... but we will probably do a few extra reads or I might find a good family read that would fit with it.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:28 AM
We do not do extras for the holidays or special months.
abuckalew
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Dd's are 9 & 3. My younger one will mostly be heliping with fun stuff :)

Quoting irvinehiker:

Wow, these are some great ideas!  How old are your kids?

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM
I don't have any. Is that bad? I just read a book about York from our Lewis and clark study. I usually try to incorporate a little of everything in our studies. I have mixed feelings about black history month.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
We really don't focus on the special months when they come around.
Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM
3 moms liked this

13 civil rights picture books for kids to teach about the civil rights movement

http://www.whatdowedoallday.com/2014/01/civil-rights-picture-books-for-kids.html#_a5y_p=1156418

Yes, I want us to read a few of these books.  We already went over some things about Martin Luther King Jr this month.

and then each day I want to go over with her a different person each day of the month like Phillis Wheatley, Harriet Tubman, Michaela DePrince (because she loves and is in ballet!), Fredrick Douglas, WEB DuBois, George Washington Carver, Dr. Daniel Hale Williams, Dr. Ben Carson, Queen Charlotte, Zora Neale Hurston, and many more.

I also want to go to the library and get some of the American Girl 'Meet Addy" books and read them over the month. We've been wanting to do that for a while now.

katyq
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:00 PM

You could also explain how small the Underground Railroad was and how few it helped, relatively. I thought, as a child, that it was the saving grace of slaves and all they had to do was get to it, the end, but it was actually the crazy, nothing left to lose, will murder if necessary people who made it to safety. Very sad stories. If your child is old enough :p

Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Also, I wanted to mention that when my dd gets older I'm going to have her read 'The Miseducation of the Negro" by Carter G. Woodson.  When I was in 7th grade my aunt took me to the bookstore and bought me this book to read.  She then bought me a dictionary and told me to underline any words I didn't know and look them up.  I think it's a good read about cultural indoctrination, the effect of societal conditioning, education, and I think there are some really good quotes in that book. Also, it was written long ago but I think a lot of that still applies today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN