Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

separation of church and state

I have never really explored CM much beyond the education and book club groups. I wanted to find a group to join that discussed a wide range of topics. Anyone have any suggestions?  

I am specifically trying to find somewhere to ask about separation of church and state; what the actual laws are regarding religion in the schools. There was a case in Tx that got me thinking about this recently.

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
katyq
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

And another thing, if you want to act like you would be totally ok with your children going to a predominantly Muslim or atheist school where their religious/non religious banners hung and kids wore shirts to school promoting those beliefs and parents were all making a fuss about making sure their beliefs were visible and visibly practiced (how is that not militant?), you're not fooling anyone.

Quoting Jesusdied4u: No katyq. It seems to me that EVErYONE else can have their opinion, but Christians. When Christians are vocal--- that's when it becomes a problem. And it's shoved down our throats.

PS the US founding fathers and their beliefs were based on Chrisitanity.

Jesusdied4u
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Lol, not shoveling anything down your throat. But, see, you just proved my point. A Christian can't express their beliefs without (insert what you just did as an example). But by golly, anyone with a differing view better be able I say anything without a Chrisitian expressing their opposing view.
Jesusdied4u
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Shoving*^
katyq
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you actually proved MY point. I am not doing anything here but speaking and you are playing the victim card. Imagine if I were to actually lobby politicians to take your rights away! Imagine that I have succeeded in my lobbying! THAT would be victimization, would it not? Let's be grown-ups.

Quoting Jesusdied4u: Lol, not shoveling anything down your throat. But, see, you just proved my point. A Christian can't express their beliefs without (insert what you just did as an example). But by golly, anyone with a differing view better be able I say anything without a Chrisitian expressing their opposing view.

Jesusdied4u
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Lol, no victim here.
This isn't going anywhere. I respect your right to opposing views. It's just ironic, as a Christian, when I speak up... Stuff hits the fan with those who have opposing views from Christians.

Goodbye and God Bless!
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I really think that the people who think religion doesn't need to be brought into EVERY situation, get a bad rap. Christians say that it is only done to them. They are the majority though and so of course you do hear about those cases more often. However, there are other cases of it happening. For example, I have seen news reports concerning schools trying to ban Jewish and Muslim garb. 

Just like the extreme Christians or extreme Muslims do not speak for everyone - neither do the extreme Atheists speak for the people getting offended by some of the religious things that happen. Some of the people are religious themselves. Some of us just think that there is a time and place for things; that not every environment is appropriate for making bold stances.

You would not go to your job and decide that you are going to make some major religious or political stand that violates company policy - or you would lose your job. Yet it is fine to wear crucifix around your neck or wear a religious shirt or pray silently or read the bible on your break. There are varying degrees of doing things and lines that can be crossed.  

I want to learn more about where the laws stand on some of this though. Just because "I think" something should or should not be allowed, does not mean that my opinion is enough to speak for all of society.

Quoting Jesusdied4u: No katyq. It seems to me that EVErYONE else can have their opinion, but Christians. When Christians are vocal--- that's when it becomes a problem. And it's shoved down our throats.

katyq
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Nothing has hit the fan, you simply can't tolerate an opposing view. I don't buy your victim card and that is the only thing that you "have" to offer, so yes, this really isn't going anywhere.

Quoting Jesusdied4u: Lol, no victim here.
This isn't going anywhere. I respect your right to opposing views. It's just ironic, as a Christian, when I speak up... Stuff hits the fan with those who have opposing views from Christians.

Goodbye and God Bless!

katyq
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree. I am not opposed to seeing or hearing or being around any religion, but there is a time and place for everything. My husband isAfghan but an atheist. He works in Afghanistan and is always dealing with other Afghans' interference in his daily activities with their religious blather. "Don't eat that, it has pork", "I haven't seen you at the mosque", "don't fall asleep on your stomach, I saw you sleep on your stomach last night" ....that last one is because they think the devil will crawl up your butt when you sleep, I have heard other (arab) Muslims say it is because the devil sleeps on his stomach....so yea, there is a definitely a line. 

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I really think that the people who think religion doesn't need to be brought into EVERY situation, get a bad rap. Christians say that it is only done to them. They are the majority though and so of course you do hear about those cases more often. However, there are other cases of it happening. For example, I have seen news reports concerning schools trying to ban Jewish and Muslim garb. 

It is not people against religion. Some of the people are religious themselves. Some of us just think that there is a time and place for things; that not every environment is appropriate for making bold stances.

You would not go to your job and decide that you are going to make some major religious or political stand that violates company policy - or you would lose your job. Yet it is fine to wear crucifix around your neck or wear a religious shirt or pray silently or read the bible on your break. There are varying degrees of doing things and lines that can be crossed.  

I want to learn more about where the laws stand on some of this though. Just because "I think" something should or should not be allowed, does not mean that my opinion is enough to speak for all of society.

Mandallyn
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I think what gets me the most is the appearance that christian's can't accept other religions.  That seems as dangerous as the Taliban.  They aren't the only relgion in this nation, if you can't accept that other's feel that way you'll never live in peace.  So to Christian's their way is the only way, but why do they need to push that on people of other beliefs?  I like your idea of coexist shirts, it sends  message of unity, instead of religious exceptionalism.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I wasnt trying to create a debate here - but go for it. I love to hear all kinds of views on various topics.

My point was more of trying to figure out where the LEGAL line is of religious expression within the schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)