Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

separation of church and state

I have never really explored CM much beyond the education and book club groups. I wanted to find a group to join that discussed a wide range of topics. Anyone have any suggestions?  

I am specifically trying to find somewhere to ask about separation of church and state; what the actual laws are regarding religion in the schools. There was a case in Tx that got me thinking about this recently.

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Replies (81-88):
Mandallyn
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Stating the truth does not make it worse. Denying the truth, on the other hand, makes things harder for those who are struggling with the reality of the situation.

Quoting mem82: "Shrug"

Phrasing something like that is racist. It doesn't matter what color you put in it and no amount of saying oh it's true makes it better. If anything it makes it worse.

Quoting Mandallyn:

I disagree. Have your ever watched "white like me"? It's a very eye opening documentary about white privilege and racism in the US.

Quoting mem82: I'm sorry but "white man's superiority complex" offensive as me saying "a black man's superiority complex". SMH that something like that would be said in this group. Shame all over that.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I wanted to come back and update this post.

The relative that is a teacher at the school where this is happening at, recently gave me a link to the fb page to this tshirt "campaign". I messaged the guy in charge of this and looked at the page. It was made clear to me what the point of this campaign was (as if I didn't already know).

"make our voices heard" "place God back into the public schools" "Jesus has been taken out of everything" (quotes from the guy that messaged me from the page).

I had asked if the parents would also be wearing the shirts. He said that some would be "accept where things are not allowed to be displayed like government workplaces. That would be inapropriate." (<< umm, wow, really?!)

The fb page mentions that teachers WILL be wearing these tshirts as well. 

He mentions that only Atheists and Satan are against him. -- I tried to gently suggest that some people (myself included) might not like / agree with it for OTHER reasons - and might be religious themselves. 

I have only ever seen Christians do this kind of stuff? Why? There has to be a psychology to this. It reminds me of some white mans superiority complex. 

Why do people feel that THEY need to PUT God anywhere? Dude, it is a supreme being and IT puts ITSELF everywhere!! No one can take a supreme being out of anything or put it anywhere. Doesn't matter what you believe or do not believe. If it exists, it exists. People need to focus on the where the LOVE is instead. We all pretty much suck at that.   

Okay, enough of my little rant. lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM
I'm sorry,we are going to have to agree to disagree. She made a racist statement. At best, it was thoughtless. Phrases like that perpetuate race divides.
"Walking away,smh"

Quoting Mandallyn: Stating the truth does not make it worse. Denying the truth, on the other hand, makes things harder for those who are struggling with the reality of the situation.

Phrasing something like that is racist. It doesn't matter what color you put in it and no amount of saying oh it's true makes it better. If anything it makes it worse.

Quoting Mandallyn:

I disagree. Have your ever watched "white like me"? It's a very eye opening documentary about white privilege and racism in the US.

Quoting mem82: I'm sorry but "white man's superiority complex" offensive as me saying "a black man's superiority complex". SMH that something like that would be said in this group. Shame all over that.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

The relative that is a teacher at the school where this is happening at, recently gave me a link to the fb page to this tshirt "campaign". I messaged the guy in charge of this and looked at the page. It was made clear to me what the point of this campaign was (as if I didn't already know).

"make our voices heard" "place God back into the public schools" "Jesus has been taken out of everything" (quotes from the guy that messaged me from the page).

I had asked if the parents would also be wearing the shirts. He said that some would be "accept where things are not allowed to be displayed like government workplaces. That would be inapropriate." (<< umm, wow, really?!)

He mentions that only Atheists and Satan are against him. -- I tried to gently suggest that some people (myself included) might not like / agree with it for OTHER reasons - and might be religious themselves. 

I have only ever seen Christians do this kind of stuff? Why? There has to be a psychology to this. It reminds me of some white mans superiority complex. 

Why do people feel that THEY need to PUT God anywhere? Dude, it is a supreme being and IT puts ITSELF everywhere!! No one can take a supreme being out of anything or put it anywhere. Doesn't matter what you believe or do not believe. If it exists, it exists. People need to focus on the where the LOVE is instead. We all pretty much suck at that.   

Mandallyn
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

We will have to do so, seeing as the majority of the ruling body (senate, house, supreme justices, etc.) are white males.

Quoting mem82: I'm sorry,we are going to have to agree to disagree. She made a racist statement. At best, it was thoughtless. Phrases like that perpetuate race divides.
"Walking away,smh"

Quoting Mandallyn: Stating the truth does not make it worse. Denying the truth, on the other hand, makes things harder for those who are struggling with the reality of the situation.

Quoting Mandallyn:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

my4kidsrock2
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Seperation of church and state has nothing to do with religion in schools. It simply states that no state can call itself a Christian (or any other specific religion) state. It states that they cannot discriminate against any religion. Personally I feel that not allowing prayer in school is discrimination, and I'm an Atheist. I'm comfortable enough in what I believe to not feel threatened by other people practicing what they believe. Too bad more people don't feel the same way. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

9/11 was tragic.  But for a few days we were united.  We understood that it was not  black verses white, straight verses gay,  republican verses democrat verses libertarian, Christian verses Muslim verses Atheist, ext...We were Americans.

There are good and bad  in all of these "groups".  But somehow we think we know people by these  labels, and think we have the right to judge them. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I think separation of church and state has gone too far. The same with their zero tolerance policies. As far as I know it is legal to read the bible as a historical document similar to reading ancient greek myths. I remember one teacher preventing a student using God as their topic for a paper on their model they look up to. A teacher just can't establish fact but discussions should be encourage. Seperation means religion doesn't control what is being taught or set policy. Different opinions are welcomed. As a libertarian I am not a fan of the current event group. Some of them are knowledgeable others not so much.
TidewaterClan
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I was a software programmer for 15 years, and loved it.  I worked at two places, one with 200 employees, and the other with 90.  Both had a HUGE wonderful mix of people.  At least half of the programmers were women, there was a wide range of ages, and a beautiful rainbow of colors as far as our skin tones go.  We all got along, and would openly discuss religious and political thoughts without getting angry with each other.  We had folks who practiced Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Atheism, and other beliefs.

Either company would make a wonderful role model for the United States and the world.  They both opened my eyes to what we're capable of as people and a country.

That's a nice quote from Ron Paul, btw.  

Quoting romacox:

9/11 was tragic.  But for a few days we were united.  We understood that it was not  black verses white, straight verses gay,  republican verses democrat verses libertarian, Christian verses Muslim verses Atheist, ext...We were Americans.

There are good and bad  in all of these "groups".  But somehow we think we know people by these  labels, and think we have the right to judge them. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a beautiful story TidewaterClan. Thank you for sharing it..

I have a friend who is an atheist (I believe in God), but we have the most congenial and enlightening conversations about our beliefs.  We don't get angry, and we don't try to change the other.  We accept one another just where they are at. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I was a software programmer for 15 years, and loved it.  I worked at two places, one with 200 employees, and the other with 90.  Both had a HUGE wonderful mix of people.  At least half of the programmers were women, there was a wide range of ages, and a beautiful rainbow of colors as far as our skin tones go.  We all got along, and would openly discuss religious and political thoughts without getting angry with each other.  We had folks who practiced Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Atheism, and other beliefs.

Either company would make a wonderful role model for the United States and the world.  They both opened my eyes to what we're capable of as people and a country.

That's a nice quote from Ron Paul, btw.  

Quoting romacox:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN