Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is anyone else celebrating Chinese New Year this Friday, January 31?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey ladies!  Is anyone else going to honor Chinese New Year?  We're going to do some fun things.  It's the Year of the Horse.

This first site has a ton of wonderful links including recipes. I pulled out this link as it has fun activities including crafts, printables, coloring pages, dot to dots, etc.

I like this http://www.chinesenewyears.info/ too.  It's simple and has a nice breakdown of everything connected to Chinese New Year.  

Sui Sui Ping An (歲歲平安) everyone!  I'd better get the house clean before Friday comes. :)

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Come on over on Friday!  We're making chicken fried rice!  :)

Quoting kirbymom: I haven't made up my mind yet. I want to.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  We have had a few disasters (bigger disasters than dry muffins), but mostly we have successes.  We tried to make the gingerbreadman cookies from the Jan Brett book (it is not an exact recipe) and it was a disaster, but we mixed the crumbly dough with some rolled oats and used it as a crisp topping.

My brother is a chef.  He gives us some pointers now and then.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We've had a great time making things.  Our Pad Thai isn't half bad either!  

I like the home ec idea.  I'm going to start that with the girls.  The K-1st grade PS they went to actually had a volunteer who was a chef at a local restaurant.  She would come in and hold a cooking class every few weeks.  One time I helped her with a healthy muffin class.  Every single student asked to get a drink on the way back.  I said sure, then ate mine.  It was dry like the desert, lol! 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

International cookbooks!  Oh that sounds cool!  We were talking about getting a few next year.  Mine want to continue their cooking/homeec lessons next year, since they want to branch out a bit, that would be something to look into.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That makes sense!  I feel like I'm just now starting to gett the hang of balancing studies versus extras.  We've always been so busy with ps and homework that we didn't squeeze it in.   They've been checking out international cookbooks from the library this year, so are more interested than before. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Happy New Year!

Mine weren't so interested when we did it.  I think they'll get more out of it later.  They were excited that we were celebrating a bunch of New Years and intrigued that not everyone celebrates the same New Year.  But the different traditions just didn't mean much to them.  It was our first year homeschooling, so maybe there was just too much new going on that year. :-)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Happy New Year!  The Horse is a neat sign to have.  

We've only made lanterns and talked about it before this.  My youngest is the age of your oldest, so I think she and my older daughter will enjoy it more now.  At least I hope so!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My sign is the horse.

We are probably not celebrating it this year.  A year or 2 ago we did a bunch of New Year's celebrations.  I think we'll do it again when the boys get a bit older.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We always do a little something, and eat Chinese food - hopefully this will inspire my boys to finish unpacking!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww. I would Love to! I love chicken fried rice. That is a staple in our house. :)

Quoting Tidewat. erClan:

Come on over on Friday!  We're making chicken fried rice!  :)

Quoting kirbymom: I haven't made up my mind yet. I want to.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I was very excited that the SuperBowl's on our anniversary this year, but we have no sitter, so we can't go to the most deserted restaurants in town (we're in Denver).  Oh well....GO BRONCOS!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Wow!  This will be a busy month for you guys!  Happy Anniversary, Groundhog's Day AND the SuperBowl all wrapped up into one day!  :)

Good luck with all of the other happenings too.

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, this is the start of a gazillion parties.  New Year, our anniversary (the 2nd), Olympics/yearly ski trip, G's 11th (8th), Valentine's, K's 8th (16th), Bill's birthday (25th), and Bill's final day with his current company (28th).  I'm sooooooo tired and it's not yet begun!  :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

How fun!  I'll bet the parade & party are a good time.  

We're going to make lucky red envelopes, and I'll put a dollar coin in for them.  My dad is coming over for the Superbowl, so we'll make one for him too. :)

Quoting hwblyf:

We're doing Chinese New Year.  :)  My 4th had gotten a book on Chinese New Year out at Thanksgiving time and did a lot of the crafts himself, so he checked that book out again so we can all do the crafts and have a fun party/parade.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any crafts planned but I was planning on taking the kids out to eat at out favorite Chinese buffet :-)

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM

That sounds like a good time!

Quoting paganbaby:

I don't have any crafts planned but I was planning on taking the kids out to eat at out favorite Chinese buffet :-)

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

That would have been so much fun!  

We always have my dad over and make loads of junk food and play games while we watch the commercials and the game.  We were more excited about it than usual until the Bengals lost three weeks ago.  **Lone wolf howl at the moon in the distance . . . ** 

Since Cincy isn't in it I'll route for your Broncos.  :) 

Quoting hwblyf:

I was very excited that the SuperBowl's on our anniversary this year, but we have no sitter, so we can't go to the most deserted restaurants in town (we're in Denver).  Oh well....GO BRONCOS!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Wow!  This will be a busy month for you guys!  Happy Anniversary, Groundhog's Day AND the SuperBowl all wrapped up into one day!  :)

Good luck with all of the other happenings too.

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, this is the start of a gazillion parties.  New Year, our anniversary (the 2nd), Olympics/yearly ski trip, G's 11th (8th), Valentine's, K's 8th (16th), Bill's birthday (25th), and Bill's final day with his current company (28th).  I'm sooooooo tired and it's not yet begun!  :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

How fun!  I'll bet the parade & party are a good time.  

We're going to make lucky red envelopes, and I'll put a dollar coin in for them.  My dad is coming over for the Superbowl, so we'll make one for him too. :)

Quoting hwblyf:

We're doing Chinese New Year.  :)  My 4th had gotten a book on Chinese New Year out at Thanksgiving time and did a lot of the crafts himself, so he checked that book out again so we can all do the crafts and have a fun party/parade.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM

That's always a pain (packing and unpacking) but I hope it's going well.  It's so nice when you just get it all over with, that's for sure.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We always do a little something, and eat Chinese food - hopefully this will inspire my boys to finish unpacking!

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I'll bet that made an awesome crumb topping!  

Things are definitely messier when my girls are in the kitchen with me, and we've had some meals that needing a fair amount of tweaking.  

Your brother probably has all kinds of cool ideas.  That would be handy around here just to get out of slumps now and then.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  We have had a few disasters (bigger disasters than dry muffins), but mostly we have successes.  We tried to make the gingerbreadman cookies from the Jan Brett book (it is not an exact recipe) and it was a disaster, but we mixed the crumbly dough with some rolled oats and used it as a crisp topping.

My brother is a chef.  He gives us some pointers now and then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN