Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

~ New 2 the Group & also New to Homeschooling ~

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello My name is Sarah I'm a  stay at home mom been for 9 years. I'm new to the group and also new to homeschooling. I have three children ages  9 /5 /1 
My  older daughter Madison has ADHD and he has been having a hard time in school she got held back  in 1st grade and this school year the teather pulled my husband and I for a meeting telling me  Madison's grades are 30s and she was being nice to give her  50s I don't see her passing again with them grades. I have told the shcool that they need her in a class that can  help her but they have been telling me we have to go through a system before they can place her in a classroom. I been having probelms when her coming home not doing anything after being at school all day not wanting do anything else.  My friend also homeschools and told me I should homeschool. It has been the 2nd day and I  feel  really lost. I am trying to figure this all out. trying to organize all of this set up things make my house homeschool easy. I'm trying to find a Curriculum for my girls. I have no idea I'm so lost.

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM
3 moms liked this

Welcome to the group!  

It can be so frustrating and overwhelming at first, but relax.  Take some time to make good choices, read up on the different types of homeschooling.  Take a bit of time to deschool.  Just read together, cook together, talk about what you and she want from this homeschool journey.  Pick out a bunch of library books (some history, some science, some literature, some readers on her reading level, some how to books on fun and interesting things).  Maybe go on a couple field trips to museums around you.  Learn your child's learning style, there are plenty of online tests to tell you how.  Figure out your teaching style.  Do you want to be a guide and facillitator or do you want to lecture and run classes?  Do you want to buy a full boxed curriculum or do you want to make up your own?

Take your time!  It is a big decision and you can relax and research both homeschooling and research your child.  This can be an exciting time instead of a worrisome time.  You CAN take your time!

daddyu3andme
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for writing back I need this. I need to see I'm not alone. I'm trying to figure out all this at once and I'm feeling so lost and scared. When you say you can  make you're own  curriculum what am I  looking for how do I  know what I can pick ?  I need something to show me what is out there where do  people find them or pick them for their kids. my friend told me if my daughter like art  we can  work around art. what do I  google to find this info.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting daddyu3andme:

Thank you for writing back I need this. I need to see I'm not alone. I'm trying to figure out all this at once and I'm feeling so lost and scared. When you say you can  make you're own  curriculum what am I  looking for how do I  know what I can pick ?  I need something to show me what is out there where do  people find them or pick them for their kids. my friend told me if my daughter like art  we can  work around art. what do I  google to find this info.

For full curriculums, you can choose religious-based curriculums like Abeka, Sonlight, Bob Jones University.  For secular you can look through secular homeschool at the link.  You can choose based on your philosophy of education:  There's Montessori, Waldorf (Oak meadow or waldorf essentials), Classical, Scholastic, Unschooling, Charlotte Mason, etc.  You can find a lot of info about those at this link.

Some artists do well with Waldorf and Montessori styles.  But some find that they need structure or they don't get enough "done."  

You can find her learning style at this website  Or here.   You can find your teaching style, too.  

But as I said, take your time.  You do have the time to look through it all and make the best choice possible.

Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Welcome to the group!  

I love all of the advice bluerooffarm gave you.

oahoah
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to homeschool. Some of those things get easier with time but it is a constant adjustment. Just keep remembering what you want to instill in your girls and why you want to homeschool. One thing that has helped me a lot is to remember that education is more than schoolwork.  We have studied the Charlotte Mason method and as I have 3 boys aged 9, 6 and 4, the short, structured lessons and a lot of nature time, as well as a love of learning, are favorable for my family.  One of the biggest new homeschooler mistakes is to do school at home and most times this doesn't work because it wasn't working in school and you then pollute your home with the same method as public school (or private, whatever).  Until you figure out what exactly is blocking your daughter from learning, I wouldn't recommend buying a curriculum as it may not suit her learning needs.  One thing to do for now is just try to get your oldest daughter interested in learning something again. We also experimented with project-based learning this past fall/winter and it was a lot of fun for all of us.
Another thing I did when we first started was find a support group through Yahoo groups. We started 3 years ago and I am still friends with many of those moms who have been great support as some were in the middle of their journey, some nearing their kids' graduation dates and others just beginning like myself.  This also led to fieldtrips where my kids would have good kids their own age to hang out with and learn alongside.

Before spending a lot of money, take advantage of free resources, inter-library loan, library giveaways or sales and again back to the support groups, a lot of the moms I have known are happy to loan or give great stuff away, passing along the kindness, and I plan on doing the same.

This is a great group as well and there is another one that I belong to, Happy Homeschoolers, both are great places for wanna-be, newbies and experienced homeschoolers.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 26, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Hello! Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! :)

Some great advice being given here. Take your time and find each other again. Live your life and do what you find is best for you and your family. Even if that means you don't look like everyone else.
julesjerry
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN