Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Debating homeschooling, Advice? added another ?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM
  • 27 Replies

We are debating home schooling our children.

Right now they are only 4 and 1 so we have a little time to figure it out but curious about our options.

Any Advice is helpful :)

We were thinking letting them do elementry in public, then switching to home schooling around 4th or 5th grade. Good or bad idea? Why or why not?

Do you teach your kids or do you have someone else? Which do you prefer, or whats better for the kids?

How to you go about even starting home schooling? Who do you contact, where do you get the books and tests to make it all legit?

What do you do with your kids about being "social" still. We are not religous so church isnt likely, so where else can you take kids to meet other kids, to make friends?

or any other tips or things i should know feel free to add :)) THANK YOU!

Thank you all for the advice :) It has been very helpful, i am deffinatly thinking about going with HS. The only thing that has me still on the edge about it is (selfish I know) I was looking forward to being able to go back to work and have free time when the kids were in school. ( I am currently a SAHM)

But I really beleive home schooling is the best way to go for my kids. Is there anyone who has SOMEONE else home school their children? I was even thinking maybe if I can find another like minded mom in my area with kids around the same age, maybe teaming up, and one week she does it, the next I do. That way we still get our free time, the kids get what they deserve, and they also will have interaction with other kids other than family, and even diffrent kinds of learning styles... Would that be a good idea?  

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambcortez
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I was homeschooled my whole life. Mom taught me with the Abeka cirriculum (you can go to abeka.com). It's very old-fashioned and seems to follow the Baptist religion. When I got to highschool, we started watching Abeka videos where there's a teacher on the screen who teaches everything, just like being in a real classroom. I'm not very religious as of lately, but the cirriculum is familiar and the material is easy to explain/understand.

DH went to public school and private school.

I homeschool DS and DD, 7 and 4. I started last year with 1st grade for DS by ordering the parent kit and child kit from abeka. I taught when we lived in MS so I had to go through the school district to find out how to register as a homeschooler and just had to sign a paper that stated I was teaching. Now that I'm in Louisiana, I'm not 100% positive how the rules go, but I've got to send a letter to the school district and pick a name for my "school"... even though I don't have one. I mean, what do you name your school? lol.

I teach 2nd grade and kindergarten this year. 

My kids are indoorsy, but social. We aren't really church-goers, but used to be a little bit. They socialize with each other and we go to the park once a week and they play with other kids there, or we visit my family in MS so they can play with cousins about once a month around the same ages.

I believe you can register school trips with a public school so you can get a schedule of when they're going somewhere, but you might have to sign up as a chapperone. I'm not positive about that either, but I'm sure you can find out through the school district. Every state is different though, so you can google "homeschooling in (your state)" which will hopefully bring up some good advice.

katyq
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Homeschooled kids have all around better outcomes academically and in life. For example, a child entering kindergarten in the U.S. "Should" know the uppercase alphabet mostly, on sight, and should be able to write a few letters from memory. A child should know a few lowercase letters on sight and "May" be able to write a few from memory. A child "should" recognize the numbers 1-10 and be able to write "a few" from memory. My son is 3.5 and knows all uppercase and can write them from memory, he also knows about two thirds of lowercase and can write most of those and we are well beyond the numbers 1-10. He is 3.5 and homeschooled ;) he is not exceptionally gifted, he's just your average, run of the mill little cutey. My husband and I simply feel like it is a waste to "wait" for kindergarten for him to learn and it is a waste for him to go to school and miss out on the incredible enrichment (and incredible net gain in actual knowledge) that homeschooling provides. I see absolutely no downside to homeschooling.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

to be honest, I wish I'd homeschooled from K-5. I think they lack the basics in school and only teach to test. They got sub-par math, poor reading instruction, NO spelling, no handwriting or cursive. As far as I can tell, all they got was a lot of developmentally inappropriate test instruction, a lot of humiliation and scorn from teachers, negative soclai interaction with other kids and staff and then instruction in the form on a 1-hour-a-week social skills class in how to manage it all themselves.

My guess is an average homeschooled kid could enter an american highschool and blow most kids out of the water academically. That is, if they wanted to deal with the boring, rote instruction and the student drama.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:36 AM
4 moms liked this

i think the beauty of homeschool is also it doesn't matter where society thinks you child "should" be. If they don't read until second grade, believe me, 99% will catch up no problem and surpass the public schooled kids. If they struggle in math, they go at their own pace until they develop mastery. If they love science, they can delve into it as much as they want... there is no one size fits all approach and no expectation that all kids have to be on the same page in the same workbook on the same day at the same time (or else!! or else what? teachers freak out and call home and tell you you kid has problems!) while homeschooling.

Quoting katyq:

Homeschooled kids have all around better outcomes academically and in life. For example, a child entering kindergarten in the U.S. "Should" know the uppercase alphabet mostly, on sight, and should be able to write a few letters from memory. A child should know a few lowercase letters on sight and "May" be able to write a few from memory. A child "should" recognize the numbers 1-10 and be able to write "a few" from memory. My son is 3.5 and knows all uppercase and can write them from memory, he also knows about two thirds of lowercase and can write most of those and we are well beyond the numbers 1-10. He is 3.5 and homeschooled ;) he is not exceptionally gifted, he's just your average, run of the mill little cutey. My husband and I simply feel like it is a waste to "wait" for kindergarten for him to learn and it is a waste for him to go to school and miss out on the incredible enrichment (and incredible net gain in actual knowledge) that homeschooling provides. I see absolutely no downside to homeschooling.

SamMom912
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Poster: thanks for asking the question. I too am starting to think about homeschooling my 7 year old 2nd grader. This post is very helpful to read. 

I have concerns myself about socialization for my little guy. I also worry, since Im in an excellent district, where more then 90 percent of HS graduates go to college if I too can keep up that level of acheivement. Lol

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM

My kids have never been to a B&M (brick and mortar) school, they are in 4th, 3rd, K and K4 this year.

I teach my children.  I use abeka (which is protestan based) for Language Arts, Writing and Math.  I use All About Spelling for spelling, and My Father's World (MFW) for Bible, history, science, art and music.  I went through many websites, reviews and just trial and error to decide on that combination.

Look up HSLDA.org for the laws for your state.  That will tell you who, and IF you need to contact someone about homeschooling, and if there are any other requrements you may need, testing, attendance, portfolio etc.

I don't do testing, it's not required in the state we're living in currently.  I know my kids are on track because I am the one going over their work.

My kids play with most of the neighborhood kids, and my older son attends cub scouts (my younger son will start this next school year) and my oldest daughter has violin lessons and has parties with the teachers other students, and makes friends there.  There is also a homeschool group in the area, but we're a one car family, so  I don't attend a lot of the events, unless they are on the weekends.  My kids are very social though,and make friends wherever we are. 

Christyabbey
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I just pulled my 5th grader and 9th grader at semester. I am finding out more and more on a daily basis just how much the public school failed them. Things like basic adding, subtracting, multiplication, and division are a struggle. Or even worse the grammar skills are almost zero to none, I now wish I would have homeschooled from the beginning. At this point I have no intention of sending either child back to public school. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM

One of the worst grades my kids did in public school was K-5. I do not recommend it. Do it at a private school if you don't want to homeschool for it. With my kids, one was repeadly threatend by a child held back twice and the teacher kept denying it could happen, the school would do nothing. In the other case, every single parent of a male child was told to hold him back and medicate him. If I could do it all over again, I would not have sent mine to public K-5.

On the other hand, Mother's Day out K3 and K4 in a private school was something they enjoyed. It was well organized and thought out compared to public school. Still I wish I had simply homeschooled from the beginning.

Otherwise going to public school will teach them how abusive the "system" is and if you have a male child will likely destroy any self esteem he has.

Which means, they will likely LOVE homeschooling when you start. None of this, "I want to go to public" school stuff anymore.

However, the downside is, you will have to teach them learning can be natural and fun while they resist anything that seems like learning from public school.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Aw sweety. Just because 90% go on to college does not mean they are academically on par. Most times they have to repeat the last two years as remedial classes fir the first year or two in college. As a homeschool family, you will be steps ahead and better prepared. Honeschoolibg actually helps children prepare for the way college is done. Independently. PS children that graduate are rarely prepared on an independent level.

Quoting SamMom912:

Poster: thanks for asking the question. I too am starting to think about homeschooling my 7 year old 2nd grader. This post is very helpful to read. 

I have concerns myself about socialization for my little guy. I also worry, since Im in an excellent district, where more then 90 percent of HS graduates go to college if I too can keep up that level of acheivement. Lol

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

This is so true.

My son didn't start reading until second grade. He's in third grade now and still doesn't care for books. But he can figure out algebra problems in his head and is a wealth of scientific knowlege,lol.

When people ask if my son ahead or behind, I say he's right where he needs to be :-)

Quoting Chasing3:

i think the beauty of homeschool is also it doesn't matter where society thinks you child "should" be. If they don't read until second grade, believe me, 99% will catch up no problem and surpass the public schooled kids. If they struggle in math, they go at their own pace until they develop mastery. If they love science, they can delve into it as much as they want... there is no one size fits all approach and no expectation that all kids have to be on the same page in the same workbook on the same day at the same time (or else!! or else what? teachers freak out and call home and tell you you kid has problems!) while homeschooling.

Quoting katyq:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)