Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Debating homeschooling, Advice? added another ?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are debating home schooling our children.

Right now they are only 4 and 1 so we have a little time to figure it out but curious about our options.

Any Advice is helpful :)

We were thinking letting them do elementry in public, then switching to home schooling around 4th or 5th grade. Good or bad idea? Why or why not?

Do you teach your kids or do you have someone else? Which do you prefer, or whats better for the kids?

How to you go about even starting home schooling? Who do you contact, where do you get the books and tests to make it all legit?

What do you do with your kids about being "social" still. We are not religous so church isnt likely, so where else can you take kids to meet other kids, to make friends?

or any other tips or things i should know feel free to add :)) THANK YOU!

Thank you all for the advice :) It has been very helpful, i am deffinatly thinking about going with HS. The only thing that has me still on the edge about it is (selfish I know) I was looking forward to being able to go back to work and have free time when the kids were in school. ( I am currently a SAHM)

But I really beleive home schooling is the best way to go for my kids. Is there anyone who has SOMEONE else home school their children? I was even thinking maybe if I can find another like minded mom in my area with kids around the same age, maybe teaming up, and one week she does it, the next I do. That way we still get our free time, the kids get what they deserve, and they also will have interaction with other kids other than family, and even diffrent kinds of learning styles... Would that be a good idea?  

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM

How did your 9th grader take being home? My 8th grader fought me a little bit and swore she was going back to school next year. She's since changed her mind though.

Quoting Christyabbey:

I just pulled my 5th grader and 9th grader at semester. I am finding out more and more on a daily basis just how much the public school failed them. Things like basic adding, subtracting, multiplication, and division are a struggle. Or even worse the grammar skills are almost zero to none, I now wish I would have homeschooled from the beginning. At this point I have no intention of sending either child back to public school. 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM

You don't know how badly I wish I pulled my son out in kinder. I kick myself for waiting this long :-(

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

One of the worst grades my kids did in public school was K-5. I do not recommend it. Do it at a private school if you don't want to homeschool for it. With my kids, one was repeadly threatend by a child held back twice and the teacher kept denying it could happen, the school would do nothing. In the other case, every single parent of a male child was told to hold him back and medicate him. If I could do it all over again, I would not have sent mine to public K-5.

On the other hand, Mother's Day out K3 and K4 in a private school was something they enjoyed. It was well organized and thought out compared to public school. Still I wish I had simply homeschooled from the beginning.

Otherwise going to public school will teach them how abusive the "system" is and if you have a male child will likely destroy any self esteem he has.

Which means, they will likely LOVE homeschooling when you start. None of this, "I want to go to public" school stuff anymore.

However, the downside is, you will have to teach them learning can be natural and fun while they resist anything that seems like learning from public school.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

OP, what state are you in? That makes a difference in how you go about homeschooling. I'm in California so it's pretty easy; just file an affidavit, keep some personal records of attendence, and no mandatory testing.

I have two kids at home. A 9 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. We don't use any curriculum per se. I prefer to take a Frankenstein approach to learning,lol. Science and history are a combination of YouTube, Netflix and the library. Math is Life of Fred for both. My dd will be starting on Life of Fred Language arts soon and my son does comic booking, note writing and drawing for his. Plus we have cooking class 3 or 4 days a week, art and science experiments. I just try to have fun with it.

As for socializing. We too don't go to church so the kids mainly play with kids in the neighborhood, at the park and our local rec center.

katyq
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Totally agree!

Quoting Chasing3:

i think the beauty of homeschool is also it doesn't matter where society thinks you child "should" be. If they don't read until second grade, believe me, 99% will catch up no problem and surpass the public schooled kids. If they struggle in math, they go at their own pace until they develop mastery. If they love science, they can delve into it as much as they want... there is no one size fits all approach and no expectation that all kids have to be on the same page in the same workbook on the same day at the same time (or else!! or else what? teachers freak out and call home and tell you you kid has problems!) while homeschooling.

Quoting katyq:

Homeschooled kids have all around better outcomes academically and in life. For example, a child entering kindergarten in the U.S. "Should" know the uppercase alphabet mostly, on sight, and should be able to write a few letters from memory. A child should know a few lowercase letters on sight and "May" be able to write a few from memory. A child "should" recognize the numbers 1-10 and be able to write "a few" from memory. My son is 3.5 and knows all uppercase and can write them from memory, he also knows about two thirds of lowercase and can write most of those and we are well beyond the numbers 1-10. He is 3.5 and homeschooled ;) he is not exceptionally gifted, he's just your average, run of the mill little cutey. My husband and I simply feel like it is a waste to "wait" for kindergarten for him to learn and it is a waste for him to go to school and miss out on the incredible enrichment (and incredible net gain in actual knowledge) that homeschooling provides. I see absolutely no downside to homeschooling.

kensing7
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so happy to read all of this. My son is in 3rd grade and I have been thinking about home schooling myself. We have a tight budget though and was looking at some of the free home school courses. Does anyone know about any of these? I am doing lots of research and they seem good, just that I would have to  do more of the planning. But what about books/supplies? Can we do it all online or would I need to buy that kind of stuff? I can only imagine what some people will say when I mention I want to home school so I am doing as much research as I can before I say anything so I know what to come back with :) Thanks everyone!

SamMom912
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

No. Not my neighborhood and district. i live in one of the best districts in the US. Most of the kids graduate to go on to ivy league, and when I was saying 90 percent, Im guessing more accurate is 98...and those 98 percent are probably in the top 5 percent in weath for the US as well.... Dont get me wrong, I see your point. i just know the district I live in, and I not sold that homeschooling is whats best for him..just yet... But Im on the fence, I know that if the school cant teach (or wont teach) the way he needs to learn, it doesnt matter how great for the masses they are. I am not here to have a debate about who is better... i realize that all families make the best decisions they can for their own. i totally respect and admire homeschoolers, Im just not sure the best avenue for us... Im still deciding. 

Quoting kirbymom: Aw sweety. Just because 90% go on to college does not mean they are academically on par. Most times they have to repeat the last two years as remedial classes fir the first year or two in college. As a homeschool family, you will be steps ahead and better prepared. Honeschoolibg actually helps children prepare for the way college is done. Independently. PS children that graduate are rarely prepared on an independent level.

Quoting SamMom912:

Poster: thanks for asking the question. I too am starting to think about homeschooling my 7 year old 2nd grader. This post is very helpful to read. 

I have concerns myself about socialization for my little guy. I also worry, since Im in an excellent district, where more then 90 percent of HS graduates go to college if I too can keep up that level of acheivement. Lol

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it interesting that you are considering doing the exact opposite of many HS'ed - who did early elementary then put the kids in PS for Middle/High School. We aren't Christian so we don't do church, but we do homeschool groups and co-ops...so my kids have developed lasting & close friendships with both HS & PS kids. We've always HS'ed this year my eldest will be 13 and my youngest will be 10. We love the freedom of it. 

How to make HS legal depends on your state. In my state there is no reporting or testing, so I don't have to worry about those things personally. But no state requires anything before the ages of 6 or 7 depending on the state. You can google homeschool laws in your state to find out exactly what you need to do. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too.

Quoting paganbaby:

You don't know how badly I wish I pulled my son out in kinder. I kick myself for waiting this long :-(

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

One of the worst grades my kids did in public school was K-5. I do not recommend it. Do it at a private school if you don't want to homeschool for it. With my kids, one was repeadly threatend by a child held back twice and the teacher kept denying it could happen, the school would do nothing. In the other case, every single parent of a male child was told to hold him back and medicate him. If I could do it all over again, I would not have sent mine to public K-5.

On the other hand, Mother's Day out K3 and K4 in a private school was something they enjoyed. It was well organized and thought out compared to public school. Still I wish I had simply homeschooled from the beginning.

Otherwise going to public school will teach them how abusive the "system" is and if you have a male child will likely destroy any self esteem he has.

Which means, they will likely LOVE homeschooling when you start. None of this, "I want to go to public" school stuff anymore.

However, the downside is, you will have to teach them learning can be natural and fun while they resist anything that seems like learning from public school.

my4loves4
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I am in Indiana. From what I have researched our laws are not very strict. Just have to notify superintendent and keep a attendence log.

Quoting paganbaby:

OP, what state are you in? That makes a difference in how you go about homeschooling. I'm in California so it's pretty easy; just file an affidavit, keep some personal records of attendence, and no mandatory testing.

I have two kids at home. A 9 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. We don't use any curriculum per se. I prefer to take a Frankenstein approach to learning,lol. Science and history are a combination of YouTube, Netflix and the library. Math is Life of Fred for both. My dd will be starting on Life of Fred Language arts soon and my son does comic booking, note writing and drawing for his. Plus we have cooking class 3 or 4 days a week, art and science experiments. I just try to have fun with it.

As for socializing. We too don't go to church so the kids mainly play with kids in the neighborhood, at the park and our local rec center.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Well, that's easy.

Quoting my4loves4:

I am in Indiana. From what I have researched our laws are not very strict. Just have to notify superintendent and keep a attendence log.

Quoting paganbaby:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)