Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Debating homeschooling, Advice? added another ?

Posted by   + Show Post

We are debating home schooling our children.

Right now they are only 4 and 1 so we have a little time to figure it out but curious about our options.

Any Advice is helpful :)

We were thinking letting them do elementry in public, then switching to home schooling around 4th or 5th grade. Good or bad idea? Why or why not?

Do you teach your kids or do you have someone else? Which do you prefer, or whats better for the kids?

How to you go about even starting home schooling? Who do you contact, where do you get the books and tests to make it all legit?

What do you do with your kids about being "social" still. We are not religous so church isnt likely, so where else can you take kids to meet other kids, to make friends?

or any other tips or things i should know feel free to add :)) THANK YOU!

Thank you all for the advice :) It has been very helpful, i am deffinatly thinking about going with HS. The only thing that has me still on the edge about it is (selfish I know) I was looking forward to being able to go back to work and have free time when the kids were in school. ( I am currently a SAHM)

But I really beleive home schooling is the best way to go for my kids. Is there anyone who has SOMEONE else home school their children? I was even thinking maybe if I can find another like minded mom in my area with kids around the same age, maybe teaming up, and one week she does it, the next I do. That way we still get our free time, the kids get what they deserve, and they also will have interaction with other kids other than family, and even diffrent kinds of learning styles... Would that be a good idea?  

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Replies (21-27):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a co-op & join it so that you can get what you want a day or so a week.

Christyabbey
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

He had been asking to be homeschooled for several years. The only issues we are having is the lack of bsic skills. The public school system in our area sucks and we are finding more and more everyday things he should know how to do and can't or wasn't instructed properly on

Quoting paganbaby:

How did your 9th grader take being home? My 8th grader fought me a little bit and swore she was going back to school next year. She's since changed her mind though.

Quoting Christyabbey:

I just pulled my 5th grader and 9th grader at semester. I am finding out more and more on a daily basis just how much the public school failed them. Things like basic adding, subtracting, multiplication, and division are a struggle. Or even worse the grammar skills are almost zero to none, I now wish I would have homeschooled from the beginning. At this point I have no intention of sending either child back to public school. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I have never seen the sharing that you are talking about work.  There are probably people out there that have done it, BUT.... you will need to be on the same page with discipline, academics, subjects taught, curricula, time per lesson, classroom rules.  It's like marrying another family.  Who will feed them on the days you teach, what will they eat.  Where will you teach?  What time will they be expected to arrive?  

It is so easy for each of you to feel as though you are getting the raw end of the deal.  It's easy to start counting out the minutes and think "hey, she's sending them home early every day."  Or to look at the material and decide she has the easier lessons.

I taught a little boy grammar for a while and it was a disaster.  We go to the same church and one of the same co-ops.  But it ended up that I was dragging my lessons to her house too often, we weren't as okay on the discipline front as we had thouht, and we were running into food issues.  She wanted him to just stay for supper when she actually brought him to our house.  It ended badly.

Just know what you are getting in to and know that it may end unexpectedly.

Edenpeden
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Quoting my4loves4:

I am in Indiana. From what I have researched our laws are not very strict. Just have to notify superintendent and keep a attendence log.

Quoting paganbaby:

OP, what state are you in? That makes a difference in how you go about homeschooling. I'm in California so it's pretty easy; just file an affidavit, keep some personal records of attendence, and no mandatory testing.

I have two kids at home. A 9 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. We don't use any curriculum per se. I prefer to take a Frankenstein approach to learning,lol. Science and history are a combination of YouTube, Netflix and the library. Math is Life of Fred for both. My dd will be starting on Life of Fred Language arts soon and my son does comic booking, note writing and drawing for his. Plus we have cooking class 3 or 4 days a week, art and science experiments. I just try to have fun with it.

As for socializing. We too don't go to church so the kids mainly play with kids in the neighborhood, at the park and our local rec center.

We also live in Indiana, and I have a five-year-old girl and a six-month-old boy. What part do you live in, were in Indianapolis.

my4loves4
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Quoting Edenpeden:

Quoting my4loves4:

I am in Indiana. From what I have researched our laws are not very strict. Just have to notify superintendent and keep a attendence log.

Quoting paganbaby:

OP, what state are you in? That makes a difference in how you go about homeschooling. I'm in California so it's pretty easy; just file an affidavit, keep some personal records of attendence, and no mandatory testing.

I have two kids at home. A 9 year old son and a 14 year old daughter. We don't use any curriculum per se. I prefer to take a Frankenstein approach to learning,lol. Science and history are a combination of YouTube, Netflix and the library. Math is Life of Fred for both. My dd will be starting on Life of Fred Language arts soon and my son does comic booking, note writing and drawing for his. Plus we have cooking class 3 or 4 days a week, art and science experiments. I just try to have fun with it.

As for socializing. We too don't go to church so the kids mainly play with kids in the neighborhood, at the park and our local rec center.

We also live in Indiana, and I have a five-year-old girl and a six-month-old boy. What part do you live in, were in Indianapolis.

We are in Goodland, more up north. Tiny town, probably 3 hours or so away.

Codysmom2106
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM
I wish I had done what I wanted to from the beginning which was not to send my ds. I just pulled him out about 2 weeks ago and he more than likely will not go back. The past 2 days he has thanked me. He's told me how much he appreciates how I take extra time with him and not just move on to something else when he doesn't get something. It was the best decision I ever could made.
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Our guys started in public school, but we jumped that ship rather than let our kids suffer (really lousy provisioning here).  It took DH and I awhile to decide about homeschooling even though we had people all around us telling us, "You know what you should do? You should homeschool!!"

--Who? ME? You're kidding, right??!!

It was the BEST decision we ever made!  Homeschooling totally transformed where our boys were educationally.  We homeschooled from fifth grade up through high school graduation.  It really is a GREAT way to go!

If you want to know all of the pros and cons for homeschooling in more depth, you might find good insight in the book "Overcome Your Fear of Homeschooling."  It gives a good perspective on the unexpected benefits of homeschooling that people don't usually see before they jump in. 

As you say, you have a while to decide, but I would encourage you to look at it from inside out too. ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN