Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten age

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • 22 Replies

I'm new to homeschooling, and have started some preschool soon to be kindergarten work with my five year old. We live in Indiana and the hs laws here are pretty lax. I'm just lost, there's so many options on curriculum and I feel so overwhelmed at the prospect of teaching her all she needs to know. I feel like I leaning towards work sheets and small books, but no set pre bought curriculum for kindergarten. I've bought the "101 top picks" of hs curriculum... Still trying to read through it. Any advice out there on kindergarten homeschooling, or any helpful links would be appreciated! 

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a lot of experience with kinder. I didn't pull my ds out until 1st.

For that age, I would keep it fun and simple. Lots of games (counting/reading games) coloring, reading, educational shows, cooking. Worksheets if she likes them. My youngest dd LOVES worksheets, my ds HATES them so just go with her lead on that.

Really it just depends on your dd, whether or not you take a more relaxed approach or a more structured one.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Kindergarten around here in the Public schools is simply preparation for first grade..... Getting them sitting for lessons, rhyming, figuring out beginning sounds and ending sounds, using the letter sounds to begin reading, the more complex shapes (octagons, hexagons, etc), counting to 100, skip counting, simple addition (to about 10), listening to longer stories, listening to stories that can't be finished in one sitting (chapter books) and remembering yesterday's portion...

Things like that.  Keep it fun, keep them moving, and you'll be fine.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Phonemic awareness is big at this age. Teaching that words are read left to right/sentences are read left to right, that letters make sounds and sounds make letters, etc.

If she doesn't already know her letters and sounds, I strongly recommend Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD. Beyond that, choose a good, solid phonics program. If she's a "get 'er done" kind of child, a cheap program like Phonics Pathways will work; if she is a kinesthetic learner, something like Logic of English Foundations; if she like coloring sheets and such, All About Reading will work well.

For math, you want solid. If you have to choose two areas to sink money into, it should be mathematics and phonics. I like Horizons, CLE, and Miquon for mathematics.

If she doesn't already know her numbers by sight, shapes/colors, and can't count to at least 10 with ease, start there first, before investing in a curriculum.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mrs.hartman12
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I am home schooling a kindergartener and its mostly just fun right now. She is working on handwriting but mostly just learning through play. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Starfalll.com, abcmouse.com and lots of reading and play is what we do. I just got sing spell read and write and we are going to start that. My son is 4 and turns 5 next month. He is starting to read and we have not done a curriculum with him yet.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD is 4 and doing K or 1st grade work. Check out the following:

Handwriting Without Tears
RightStart Math
Apologia Science
Real Science 4 Kids
All About Spelling
Magic School Bus dvds books n experiment kits
Who Was series of books
Magic Tree House series of books
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Deep breaths do help! I used a combination of time4learning.com and letteroftheweek.com with both my boys - who are now going to be 13 & 10. But I wouldn't stress too much about formal curriculum until around grade 2.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM
We do writing practice, explode the code (phonics), math u see primer, cutting practice from kumon, life of fred (apples), poetry reading and explanation, he sometimes skies in on his brothers science. I don't really sorry about science and History at this age. Explode the code has spelling in it but we don't focus on that too much. He also reads me a few short stories.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

For Kinder, I  focus mostly on the basics (reading, math, and writing once he is reading early readers with confidence). 

My Journey From Public School Teacher To Home School Mom

How To Home School

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM
3 moms liked this

You can do this. I promise. Think about your child. What is their learning style? What do they love? Where do they excel? Where do they struggle? YOU know your child better than anyone :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN