Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new to homeschooling, and have started some preschool soon to be kindergarten work with my five year old. We live in Indiana and the hs laws here are pretty lax. I'm just lost, there's so many options on curriculum and I feel so overwhelmed at the prospect of teaching her all she needs to know. I feel like I leaning towards work sheets and small books, but no set pre bought curriculum for kindergarten. I've bought the "101 top picks" of hs curriculum... Still trying to read through it. Any advice out there on kindergarten homeschooling, or any helpful links would be appreciated! 

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Like other members said, keep it simple, fun. Below links may give an idea.

http://wp.me/p3wWiR-13  --  kindergarten curriculum

http://wp.me/p3wWiR-19    -- supplements

http://wp.me/p3wWiR-1k  -- science experiments list

http://wp.me/p3wWiR-u   - word list

http://wp.me/p3wWiR-j  - lesson for 4-5year old

katyq
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM

My son is 3.5 but I do already have kindergarten pretty well planned :p. We will use singapore math and phonics pathways and beyond that, I will cover science,history,  lit, art, p.e., music, etc with individual units that I have bought and/or a curriculum that I develop. I am planning on doing pretty much the same with first grade as well. You don't need a worksheet or textbook for every subject at that age. I hope this helps a bit and good luck :)

torilee03
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I do Alpha Omega Lifepac with my dd who is in Kindergarten. I chose it because there are only two subjects..math and language arts. All of the work that she does is just prep for first grade, so we don't feel that pressure to do EVERYTHING. I add lessons in as I want whether I find them online or in a book...but like I said, it takes pressure off of me to know that she is getting the fundamentals needed for first grade.

Caston04
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM
We read with then with count to hundred write abc's count blocks sing songs watch all leap frog magic school bus and watch wild kratts long vowels shorts review the letters talk about all holidays then watch liberty kids color draw paint markers write name spell name their mom sight words, rhyming words
www.havefunteaching.com
Jilectan
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I'd suggest simple things that are aimed at getting her ready for schooling. Coloring, mazes, imaginative play, that kind of thing. Keep it fun. If you let her watch tv, I'd recommend Sesame Street Old School. That's a dvd set of older Sesame Street episodes that came out in the 70s that were really good. I know they have a warning on them that they're not suitable for young children, but really? My siblings and I watched them and they didn't hurt us. I think the main concern was they were preparing kids too well, so they were bored when they had to slow down for the kids who hadn't watched them, kwim? hth

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM
I have a kindergartener this year. We're using:

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
Handwriting Without Tears
Singapore Math (if you go with SM K level, I recommend Essentials over Earlybird.)
Beginning Geography from Evan Moore
Sonlight p4/5 as a book list
Science I put together myself. Last semester we did astronomy and we're just starting dinosaurs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Edenpeden
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Thank you all, this gives me a better start to my research!

AmyMamie
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

There are some great suggestions given here, so definitely research them and see what feels right.  I have a Kindergartener right now, and he's the type who gets bored easily and wants to learn a LOT right now.  But he doesn't enjoy worksheets as much as hands-on learning.  Amazingly though, he LOVES his math book we use - Mathematical Reasoning A (by Critical Thinking Co.).  He thinks it's very fun, and it covers everything, including reading a clock, money, shapes, counting by 5s and 10s...  So if you want a good general math book that's fun, I'd definitely suggst looking into that one.  We also use Inchimals for the hands-on math.

For Language, I truly love the Letter of the Week website and books.  There are so many fun ideas in the books (with patterns to copy) to cut out, color, glue, etc.  That makes learning the alphabet much more fun for a youngster, when they get to do a project for each letter.  

The third set of books that we use daily and absolutely love are the Developing the Early Learners set of 4.  They have fun book activities that help a child develop thinking skills - listening, remembering what they see, motor skills and comprehension.  My son never complains about working in these, though he generally fights bookwork.  He loves the challenge they give him.  So I highly recommend them.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:53 PM
I have a kinder.

She has a daily board for daily practice stuff. Like calendar, weather, money, time, counting...etc.

She watches math u see videos and plays with the blocks and manipulative. This is hit and miss... I found them used and don't have the student work for it.

She uses time4learning.com, starfall.com, and other websites.

She has numerous prek-1st grade level workbooks we use.

She has 3 letter and 4 letter learning games (board games) and number games.

She has a whole box of fun resources like colored straws, beads, stampers, lacers, stickers, math shapes, color tiles, magnetic letters, coins and fake money, clocks, pipecleaners, clay, etc..

She has a ton of books and I have a bunch I save for as she learns to read. We don't get them until she reads them.

I have her copy sentences and we are beginning draw write now books.

I need to go open up my old stuff from the other two and find my old K12 phonics stuff. She is just about ready for it.

She has her own anatomy notebook and does apologia with the older two.

I don't push her to, but she sits in on their literature and history when she is feeling left out. The fun box comes in handy here.

She participates in homeschool art and drama and a game/pe class.

She participates in bible quiz events and memorizes q&a's.

Nothing is high pressure or a "must" it varies day to day what we get accomplished.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Wait, Old School Sesame Street has a warning that it's not suitable for young kids? Who should be watching it then? I've never heard of that before..lol

Quoting Jilectan:

I'd suggest simple things that are aimed at getting her ready for schooling. Coloring, mazes, imaginative play, that kind of thing. Keep it fun. If you let her watch tv, I'd recommend Sesame Street Old School. That's a dvd set of older Sesame Street episodes that came out in the 70s that were really good. I know they have a warning on them that they're not suitable for young children, but really? My siblings and I watched them and they didn't hurt us. I think the main concern was they were preparing kids too well, so they were bored when they had to slow down for the kids who hadn't watched them, kwim? hth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN