Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Struggling with Phonics

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM
  • 18 Replies

Was wondering if anyone could tell me the best resources for teaching phonics. This is my first year homeschooling my girls. One is in Kindergarten, the other in the 2nd grade. My kindergartener seems to be really struggling with sounding out words. She knows all of her letter sounds, but it's the putting them all together to make a word that seems to confuse her. We have tried ABCMouse.com and Starfall for extra support, but I find that she considers that more "playing" and doesn't really focus on what she is trying to accomplish. Just wondering what worked best for other moms. :)

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Have you tried getting one of those plastic phone looking things they have at lakeshore. The child speaker the sounds into the part that goes to the mouth. And it is magnified in their ears. It is suppose to help them hear it better.

I know my 7 year old had a problem with this and it took lots of tears and repeating things. Wish I would have bought the phone thing.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Ooka Island is a great computer game and reading eggs is good too. I am also loving All About Reading so far there is a free phonogram app right now from all about spelling
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Sorry its All About Spelling we are using
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM

We enjoyed readingeggs.com - it's a little pricey in my opinion, but my kids loved it and phonics finally clicked for them.

torilee03
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Thanks ladies!! I will look into those! :)

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I a Home School Workshop Leader, and tutor specializing in reading. Because of my success rate,  I also teach aspiring teachers at the University Of North Florida  how to teach reading

I use whole brain teaching which reaches all the learning styles, and have created a game called Ring Around The Phonics.  It comes with 14 early reader books, and everything you need to teach reading including directions. 

As a tutor, I have learned that computer games teach some  the phonic sounds incorrectly.  It does not effect all children, but it is the major cause of reading problems when children start blending the sounds to form words.  The following video explains. 

abrine7673
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd had problems with the putting letter sounds together. Teachyourmonstertoread.com helped her better than starfall did. She just turned 5 and wrote me a story by herself. She dididn't get the spelling on all of the words but she got close with most.
torilee03
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for posting this! This is EXACTLY what we are going through and the way that you explain it makes complete sense!

Quoting romacox:

I a Home School Workshop Leader, and tutor specializing in reading. Because of my success rate,  I also teach aspiring teachers at the University Of North Florida  how to teach reading

I use whole brain teaching which reaches all the learning styles, and have created a game called Ring Around The Phonics.  It comes with 14 early reader books, and everything you need to teach reading including directions. 

As a tutor, I have learned that computer games teach some  the phonic sounds incorrectly.  It does not effect all children, but it is the major cause of reading problems when children start blending the sounds to form words.  The following video explains. 

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Explode the code is pretty good, but can be super repetitive
katyq
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I have the book "phonics pathways" that my teacher friend recommended. It is supposed to be really effective.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)