Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The History Behind The Bill Of Rights

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: I knew that the Stamp Act and Coercive Acts were the cause of the Revolution.

Options:

Yes, I knew

No, I did not know

I knew these things, and have taught this history to my children.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

The Colonies were all ruled by the King of England.  But they were all independent of each other.  Larger colonies would sometimes take advantage of smaller ones (particularly in trade relationships), and even foreign Countries would take advantage of the Colonies (with battles and trade).  So the Colonies were in favor of uniting to solve these problems, but they did not want another tyrannical government like they experienced under King George.

We have been taught that the rebellion was over "tax without representation" (the Boston Tea Party"), but that is not entirely true.. The colonies did have to pay taxes to the King. But because of their distance from the realm, they did not receive the assistance or protection that other British subjects received. So the future Americans resented paying for benefits that others received on their behalf.  So that was one of their grievances.  However what really infuriated the Americans to revolt  were  the Coercive Acts  and the Stamp Act .  They were far more important.

So after the revolution it was all agreed that some type of union was wanted.  Some wanted George Washington to be their King.  Washington refused, and insisted on a representative government instead of a dictatorship.   So a Constitution was drawn, and delivered to the States for approval. 

Remember each state was an independent sovereignty.  When the States received the first draft, they rejected it insisting on some amendments   That became the Bill Of Rights, and are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution.  They were  assurances that the newly formed government would not violate certain rights that the colonies had suffered under the King of England.  Americans wanted assurances that they were not moving from one tyrant to another.  So the Constitution is a Contract between the States and the Federal Government.  It limits the Federal Level, but leaves the people free unless they did harm to another. 

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Yes, I knew....but it was from my own research not from my public school education. I loved 'A People's History of the United States'

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yes, I knew....but it was from my own research not from my public school education. I loved 'A People's History of the United States'

Me too!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Roma,  I plan on teaching this history to my kids, but we began history at the beginning, as it were, and have not yet reached American history.  We are finally on the crusades!  YAY

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I knew from school but learned more when teaching my kids. :)

Love this post Roma! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN