Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

curriculum *piog

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM
  • 21 Replies

ok i will be homeschooling next year. my kids will be in second grade and kindergarden. i am looking in to planners and curriculum and was wondering what others suggest. what brands are good? what should i look in to getting?

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Hi! :)
I write my own curriculum. The one thing I advise is to make sure you leave enough room for change. As kids grow, so to do their way of thinking and how they see and learn.
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I see you are a Ron Paul supporter so I will suggest his homeschool curriculum that is free for the elementary grades. HERE is the link to it.

ambermario4ever
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I see you are a Ron Paul supporter so I will suggest his homeschool curriculum that is free for the elementary grades. HERE is the link to it.

I plan on using his but it is not complete as of yet so I need things to fill in the gaps.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM
What subjects does he not have or is not fully complete yet?

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting usmom3:

I plan on using his but it is not complete as of yet so I need things to fill in the gaps.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I make my own curriculum, but welcome to the community!

ambermario4ever
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Ok right now for kindergarden they have phonics, math, and ss. And for second they have math, history, and literature. So there is no science or grammar for the grades I need right now. And I don't know if there are any other subjects I need for these grades besides those.

Quoting kirbymom: What subjects does he not have or is not fully complete yet?

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting usmom3:

Countess79
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

for another free online choice.. check out 

www.allinonehomeschool.com

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

For kindergarten, my favorites are:

Math: CLE and Miquon

Phonics: Logic of English Foundations, All About Reading, Phonics Pathways

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears, Catholic Heritage Curriculum

Religion: Seton (Catholic)

Readers: Seton's Faith and Freedom readers (Catholic)

History: Story of the World, RC History (Catholic)

Science: Magic School Bus, Behold and See (Catholic Heritage Curriculum), Liberty Press Nature Readers

Latin: Song School Latin? I'm still looking for this.

For Second Grade it would depend on where your kiddo is:

Writing/composition: Writing With Ease

Grammar: First Language Lessons, Voyages in English (the old Catholic 1950's version), Seton's "English for Young Catholics"

Handwriting: Seton or Catholic Heritage

History: Story of the World, RC History

Science: Magic School Bus, Behold and See

Phonics: Phonics Pathways

Spelling: Apples and Pears

Latin: Prima Latina, Song School Latin

If you're looking for an all-in-one with lesson plans, I can only advise on Catholic programs... but there is on non-denominational that I like - Memoria Press. It is non-denominational in the best sense of the word, the only thing specifically protestant is that they use the KJV (which Catholics do not use), otherwise it is sincerely non-denominational, unlike other programs that claim to be such.

Grammar:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Please check into this carefully. Very carefully. The man who wrote this curriculum (Gary North or something like that) is an extremist - he believes children should be killed for disobedience, women should be stoned for infidelity, etc. Check out the WTM forums and type in the name Ron Paul Curriculum to the search bar for more information. I'm a Libertarian - and wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Ok right now for kindergarden they have phonics, math, and ss. And for second they have math, history, and literature. So there is no science or grammar for the grades I need right now. And I don't know if there are any other subjects I need for these grades besides those.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting usmom3:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ambermario4ever
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM

More than one person did the Ron Paul curriculum and some of them are just links to materials to use.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Please check into this carefully. Very carefully. The man who wrote this curriculum (Gary North or something like that) is an extremist - he believes children should be killed for disobedience, women should be stoned for infidelity, etc. Check out the WTM forums and type in the name Ron Paul Curriculum to the search bar for more information. I'm a Libertarian - and wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)