Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I hate putting it together myself!

Posted by   + Show Post

I really do.  I love curriculum.  I love looking at all the different types and ideas out there.  I HATE putting together what will work for my children.  For the first 5 years I used a complete box.  My daughter loved it and it was easy for me.  The last year of the box curriculum was because I didn't like what they had put in for science and I couldn't just not buy it from this place so I had to put together my own thing for everything.  That first year I did, it bombed and my husband was mad at me and my daughter hated school.  The next year wasn't any better.  This year I did a mix of Sonlight and adding to it.  It has gone a lot better, but we are not going to use Sonlight next year, we didn't even really use it except for the books and dictation.  

My husband is going to file our tax return, I have until we get the money back to find EVERYTHING we are going to use next year.  He will buy it in one lump sum and be done.  If something doesn't work, I have to use it or change it with something free.  So now I"m looking at so much it's making my head spin.  My son will be doing PK/K/1 stuff.  My daughter will be doing 7/8/9 stuff.

Literature we are using study guides.

Saxon Algebra 1/2

SciSaurus with the Daybooks.

History - lterature based- ???

Writing - Jump In - my daughter hates writing

Grammar - Easy Grammar 

Phonics and lots of books

Math in Focus

Science

Social Studies

Did I say I hate pulling together stuff?

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you looked into oak meadow? There are no text books and it is a complete curriculum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I'm the opposite.  I can't imagine having every subject coming from one source.  Ds has his own learning style and there isn't one program that fits the bill for everything.  I really enjoy piecing things together myself.  

Ds is in 7th grade.  We're also using Saxon Algebra 1/2 and Jump In.  He LOVES these.  We also use Lightning Literature 7 (probably wont use it next year, though, because I think I'd rather read random 8th grade lit with him),  K12 Human Odyssey 1 (world history), Runkle's World Geography, and his science is based on the Apologia General Science experiments only.  I have the Apologia text book and the lab kit (from christianbooks.com) only and ds finally loves science again.

He also is reviewing cursive writing (although most of his writing is done on the computer.  He has moderate dyslexia and it's easier) and he watches a daily teen news program online (CNN Student News or Channel One News) and handwrites one sentence about one topic.  

Formal academics take about 2 hours a day and I have to say now that we've gotten into a great rhythm, ds is learning and retaining more than ever - and he enjoys it, too.  As a matter of fact, I have already pieced out what we will be using (trying) for every grade up to 12th, lol.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm of no help.  I love picking and choosing to get just the right fit.  And the idea of needing to choose correctly right now would drive me crazy.  I like the idea of being able to drop anything that isn't working.  I would worry myself to tears thinking I might not like something I chose!  Yikes!

awesomemommy2
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I don't get why you have to buy all at once and now. Why not set a budget for school, put the money into an account and use it as needed.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:40 AM
I remember watching Channel One. Can you watch it at any time?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I'm the opposite.  I can't imagine having every subject coming from one source.  Ds has his own learning style and there isn't one program that fits the bill for everything.  I really enjoy piecing things together myself.  

Ds is in 7th grade.  We're also using Saxon Algebra 1/2 and Jump In.  He LOVES these.  We also use Lightning Literature 7 (probably wont use it next year, though, because I think I'd rather read random 8th grade lit with him),  K12 Human Odyssey 1 (world history), Runkle's World Geography, and his science is based on the Apologia General Science experiments only.  I have the Apologia text book and the lab kit (from christianbooks.com) only and ds finally loves science again.

He also is reviewing cursive writing (although most of his writing is done on the computer.  He has moderate dyslexia and it's easier) and he watches a daily teen news program online (CNN Student News or Channel One News) and handwrites one sentence about one topic.  

Formal academics take about 2 hours a day and I have to say now that we've gotten into a great rhythm, ds is learning and retaining more than ever - and he enjoys it, too.  As a matter of fact, I have already pieced out what we will be using (trying) for every grade up to 12th, lol.  

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Partly because I'd never make up my mind. I love looking at curricula.  If I could I'd buy and try everything I think might work, but that isn't possible.  

Partly because it would be more work for him.  He does all the bills.  The less accounts for him to deal with the better.

Mostly because it's easier on me to have everything now and get the schedule done before school starts.  My daughter thrives on a schedule.  So I make her one.

Quoting awesomemommy2: I don't get why you have to buy all at once and now. Why not set a budget for school, put the money into an account and use it as needed.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Yeah, it's a standard daily 10-minute news program you can watch anytime.  It's not live.  There's a new one every weekday.

Quoting mem82: I remember watching Channel One. Can you watch it at any time?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:35 AM

This is why I hate pulling things together.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm of no help.  I love picking and choosing to get just the right fit.  And the idea of needing to choose correctly right now would drive me crazy.  I like the idea of being able to drop anything that isn't working.  I would worry myself to tears thinking I might not like something I chose!  Yikes!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM

If I ever pull my youngest out, I'll be useing these books too. But only for math and language arts. I prefer using my own history and science.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: we will be using Christian Light Education. its workbooks and you only buy the subjects you want. the only thing I might sub is the science.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I can understand that.  Is there a way that you could keep a hundred or so back in a sock drawer or something for a change of curriculum?

Quoting Silverkitty:

This is why I hate pulling things together.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)